BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14419 - 12/06/05 12:41 AM Help with hook
Alabama92 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 24/male/alabama
I'm sorry if this had been beaten to death on this forum but I need a little help with my hook. I tried to search the forum and found nothing. Okay here is my problem, I'm a newbie that has been bowling about 2 months now. Sometimes my ball takes a super hook right before the pins and goes way of the mark, does anyone have any tips for this? Another thing is I cannot be consistent with my bowling. Just the other day I was on fire and bowled a 247 my all time high and the first time I ever broke 200. Then the next games were like 107 and 124. Can anyone give me any tips on to the throw the same line consistently?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#14420 - 12/06/05 01:49 AM Re: Help with hook
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
On a house shot, if you throw it to the outside, especially early or short, it will hook a lot. So if you are missing your target to the outside that would explain it.

Also a ball thrown fast will hook less. If you let up on the speed it will hook more. If you are not very familiar with the variations in your ball speed that could explain it.

Now you combine the two above and you have pretty erradict ball reaction.

It takes a lot of practise and focus to repeatedly hit a target on the lane and while doing that, repeat the motion of your body that gets you to do it. YOu've been bowling 2 months. YOu can hardly expect anything. That you hit a 200+ game at all is amazing.

Start reading some of the books out there on bowling. There are a bunch of them. And they will begin to explain to you the more basic fundamentals of the game. YOu can also subscribe to Bowling This Month, which is also very helpful.

Do you use two fingers and a thumb? or just two fingers? If you don't use your thumb, then you are experiencing the extreme inconsistency this technique comes with. Put your thumb in the ball and you will be more consistent, even if the hook is not as dramatic.

Do you use a house ball or do you own your own that has been drilled for you? YOu need a ball drilled for you to begin the process of consistency.

Erin

#14421 - 12/06/05 02:22 AM Re: Help with hook
Alabama92 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 24/male/alabama
Okay I will start by saying I only use two fingers at the moment but I'm in the process of getting a coach to show me the proper technique etccc..... As of right now I can in now way through any type of hook with my thumb in the ball

I actually got a ball today, a used one but I haven't had the fingers drill out yet.

On the note about the books do you have any suggestions??? I really need to start with the most basic book you know of to. Thanks in advance.

#14422 - 12/06/05 09:31 AM Re: Help with hook
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Michelle Mullen (Mullin?) has a good book out on basic fundamentals.

You're on the right track in getting a coach. And don't go thumbless. It will cause wrist, hand, elbow and shoulder pain rather quickly. Besides the fact that its nearly impossible to become consistent and accurate. And of course now we'll hear from all the thumbless bowlers who are exceptions to the rule. But take my word for it, if you are starting out, thumbless is NOT the way to go. Very very few thumbless bowlers have any longevity or success on the lanes.

Erin

#14423 - 12/06/05 07:32 PM Re: Help with hook
Goodah Chunky Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: ??/M/State of Euphoria
Read this thread .

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - Yesterday at 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.