BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142550 - 12/28/10 10:53 PM 4 bigTournaments coming up
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Hi, been awhile since I posted (Rocket Jr.) I have four big tournaments coming up and 3 of them are supposed to have collage coaches attending them.

I know they will mostly be attending the Junior and Senior events, but I have been told that many stick around for the freshman,sophomore events the next day. I will be attending the Junior and senior events myself as a spectator, would it be considered to pushy to mention to the collages I may be interested in that I was interested in their program and I will bowling in the tournaments the next day?

Dad says it would be a good thing but you all know how fathers are so I thought I would get other opinions.

Thank you, Rocket Jr.
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#142552 - 12/28/10 11:50 PM Re: 4 bigTournaments coming up [Re: Rocket]
ryanfeia Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 26/M/Wisconsin
I think that is a great idea!

Just make sure you present yourself as professional as possible. They want to see a mature bowler who takes the game seriously. First impressions are a big thing, and if they are impressed by just meeting you, chances are that they would be interested in seeing you bowl at a later date.

Good luck in all of your tournaments!
Victory Road Solid
Reign Supreme
Brunswick Plastic

Fall 2011 Stats
THS AVG:192.00
Sport AVG: 179.00
HG:279 HS:693

"Stop Whining, Go Practice!"

#142567 - 12/29/10 08:35 AM Re: 4 bigTournaments coming up [Re: Rocket]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I don't think it would hurt, as long as you do present yourself as possibly like ryanfeia stated. Even if they don't stay for the next day's events, you might make a good enough impression that they will take your information and keep tabs on how you are bowling over the next couple of years before they begin actively recruiting you.
HS:763

#142569 - 12/29/10 09:54 AM Re: 4 bigTournaments coming up [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thank you for the advice, My coach is helping me with a resume of sorts, avg's for the past 3 years, leagues, and tournaments I have bowled in etc.

So I will take some copies with me and if they ask for information I will have that ready along with my class schedule and grades.

The first tournament singles event is not a step ladder event, I will be bowling 6 games and switching pairs after every game and the pattern will be a Kegel Challenge Series pattern.

Total score for six games determines position with scholarships going 1 out of every 6 bowlers. So I am hoping to a least finish with a scholarship.

I have been practicing with another bowler who I met in my travel league he is very good pressure bowler my average is a bit higher then his but when we team up and bowl others at practice he almost always out scores everybody.

Last week we bowled 2 adults from his home house that both averaged over 200 we were within 15 pins in the last frame and he steps and strikes out to win it for us. he finished with a 257 to my 238.

He is trying to learn my mark consistency and posting up abilities, and I am trying to be able to get in a zone like he does it has been a blast especially when we get challenged by other bowlers. So far we have only been beaten once and his coach was on that team and shot a 299.

Sorry about rambling on just love to talk bowling.
Rocket Jr.

Mutant Cell

#143174 - 01/05/11 01:07 PM Re: 4 bigTournaments coming up [Re: Rocket]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Rocket Jr,

It might be wise to approach them like this:

"Hello my name is Jordan _____ and I am a freshman this year. I am really working on my game in order to become as skilled as I can so I was curious as to what skills you all look for in a bowler? I will be competing in the event tomorrow but I would like to know what you all look for so that way in two years when I qualify for the junior event I will be able to do as well as I can in order to showcase my abilities and passion for the sport."

I think if you do it as a question on what all they want in a bowler and kind of slip it in there that you are bowling the following day, maybe you will peak some interest without sounding like you are asking them to watch you if that is what you are afraid will look bad.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#143503 - 01/08/11 09:14 PM Re: 4 bigTournaments coming up [Re: sk8shorty01]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thank you sk8 as usual your advice will help a lot. Rocket JR.
Mutant Cell

#143504 - 01/08/11 10:05 PM Re: 4 bigTournaments coming up [Re: Rocket]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 31/M/AZ
Also consider that if these coaches are from NCAA institutions, NCAA rules are very specific as to when and how a coach can communicate with a potential recruit. As a high school underclassmen, I don't believe they would be able to show "interest" in recruiting you. Sure, you can let them know you are interested, and ask for advice on how to be a competitive recruit, and they can answer those questions, but thy have rules.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#143507 - 01/08/11 10:18 PM Re: 4 bigTournaments coming up [Re: champ]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks,Champ I am not expecting them to do any kind of offering I am just hoping to get their attention so maybe they remember me when I am older and hopefully better.

Mutant Cell

#143538 - 01/09/11 08:43 AM Re: 4 bigTournaments coming up [Re: Rocket]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 42/m/ny
i have a feeling the way you bowl, you're on thier radar already. i wouldn't be suprised if they 'know' about you and your potential already.

i also like the idea mentioned about you introducing yourself and asking what 'they' look for in a potential recruit, good way to get on the radar if not already.

best of luck, go get 'em!
working on all of them......

track 930T [15]

member of the mooseknuckles winter vl team

#143649 - 01/10/11 09:48 AM Re: 4 bigTournaments coming up [Re: Rocket]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Champ is correct. Teams are not allowed to show any interest or have any contact with a student athlete before they start their senior year of high school. Doing so would be a breech of NCAA rules.

If you were to go to them and talk and just simply ask what they look for without getting into your own bowling to much I am sure they would be glad to talk to you, they might be quick to back off though if things get to far into a specific program so just keep things general and you should be able to get a decent conversation out of them.

Show interest without getting into school specifics and they will probably show interest in you down the road, its just simply that right now the school could get fined so if they kind of distance themselves from you a little bit, don't take it personal its just business.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:48 AM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.