BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143775 - 01/11/11 03:08 AM Value Performance
pin10standing Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 34/male/singapore
Hi guys,..between Columbia Freeze and Storm Tropical heat, which is better? seriously looking between these two to overcome dry lane situation.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#143780 - 01/11/11 06:50 AM Re: Value Performance [Re: pin10standing]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
better? What do you mean? They're round, they roll, they knock down 10 pins.

Not to belabor the point, but....

One will be better for some styles, the other better for other styles.

One will be better for some lane conditions, the other for other lane conditions.

Even saying "dry lanes" doesn't narrow it down enough. Is that fresh oil, or thrid game of the night?

What oil pattern - THS, sport, short, long, red/white/blue, winding road?

Do you want a ball that rolls early or one that has a big back end?

What are your throwing specs - axis rotation. axis tilt, revs, speed? Inside line or down and in?

Do you bowl on wood or synthetic?

You'll find fans for each of those two balls right here, as they've raved in the past about them. The only way to know for sure if it's right for you is to buy it and try it.

And again, I don't mean to pick on you, but picking a bowling ball is a very personal thing. There's absolutely no such thing as a "better ball". It's just better for one person in one circumstance.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#143785 - 01/11/11 08:46 AM Re: Value Performance [Re: pin10standing]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
I'm biased towards the Tropical Heat. I'm not a fan of Columbia but the Freeze is one of their balls that I WOULD purchase if I had money laying around. Both are excellent choices. It's all down to preference. Here's a warning tho. Those balls are stronger than you may think. If you're really bowling on dry spent conditions make sure they are drilled relatively tame. I hope my information helps. =]

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#143842 - 01/11/11 09:57 PM Re: Value Performance [Re: pin10standing]
pin10standing Offline
Junior Master

Hmm..thanks 10pingaloot anyway reconbbs what do u mind by name, i am very new here..where should i place my pin if i want the ball to skid longer and give a very sharp snap at the backend

#143844 - 01/11/11 10:11 PM Re: Value Performance [Re: pin10standing]
pin10standing Offline
Junior Master

i am looking for a ball that suits well for lite oil to dry lane condition. My rev is medium and so is my speed..any suggestion from the bowlere here.

#143847 - 01/11/11 10:47 PM Re: Value Performance [Re: pin10standing]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
Originally Posted By: pin10standing
Hi guys,..between Columbia Freeze and Storm Tropical heat, which is better? seriously looking between these two to overcome dry lane situation.

I have both. I will say this. If by dry you mean at the beginning of the night it is dry then I dont think either of these balls will be really what you are looking for.

If you mean after game two, or on a typical medium to heavy shot that breaks down, then either will do.
The Freeze is more versatile. I actually had a w-hole drilled in mine to reduce the snap and get a smoother arc, more predictable. My Heat is almost as strong as my Reign.
All Im saying is the Heat is not the Trop Storm by a long shot. Much more ball.

The Freeze is pretty versatile though. Polish it up or take down the surface. Good ball. For the money, and based on choices available to you I would say Freeze. It can be very strong or tamed pretty well. I dont personally find the Heat to be as controllable. Now having said that. I personally love using the Heat, but I use it in spots. If i could only bring one ball to say a shot I had never played. It would be the Freeze.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#143863 - 01/12/11 01:50 AM Re: Value Performance [Re: pin10standing]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
I looked the specs on bowling.com for these and the freeze is a 4000 grit polished and the tropical heat is a 1500 grit polished.
So surface is really 70 to 80% of how a ball is going to react. The freeze will go longer, but depending on the drilling it could react too violently on the back, so if you go with the freeze and you want to use it for dry conditions, tell your ball driller to drill it with a continous arc drilling.
Hope this helps, of course it matters on the bowling styles, but the surface of these two balls are quite different. 1500 grit is going to grab the lane sooner than 4000 grit. So I think the freeze will get you closer as long as you drill it right for you.
Good Luck

Edited by Revenator (01/12/11 01:51 AM)

#143870 - 01/12/11 06:41 AM Re: Value Performance [Re: Revenator]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
The Tropical Heat, is Jordans go to ball on typical house shots medium to light oil. For him it is a more arching ball, when the lanes are on the drier side he will play one of his skid flip balls.

I agree with others the Heat Black silver is stronger then what the price indicates and it has the storm hitting power that I have grown to expect.
Mutant Cell

#143877 - 01/12/11 08:12 AM Re: Value Performance [Re: pin10standing]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I have a Heat that I bought for light oil and the Hy-Road for my benchmark (I used a Hy-Road before for my benchmark when I was throwing 16). Most nights, I leave my Hy-Road in my bag and throw the Heat all night. It is definitely a lot stronger than what is expected. If I were getting another ball for light oil, I would probably get a different Heat (not the hybrid) or a 2Fast and get it drilled pin up with a crater in the side. I have a teammate who has a Freeze. He has the same issue with his Freeze that I do with my Heat. Stronger than expected.

Either way, they are really good balls. I am a Storm guy so I will say Heat though.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by djp1080 - 5 minutes 12 seconds ago
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:28 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/16/18 12:26 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - 05/03/18 03:10 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.