BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143585 - 01/09/11 07:34 PM Swollen Fingers
helloyo53 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 16/M/Ontario
Hello. Just joined this forum tonight. Seems like a great place so far, I'm liking it.

Anyway, I have a big tournament coming up this coming weekend (15th and 16th). On the 15th, I bowl six games, and if I place in the top 8 on my division, I bowl 7 more games of matchplay the next day on the 16th. So, a lot of games in other words.

I feel pretty confident about the tourny, but my only fear is swollen fingers. So my question is this, is there a way to prevent swollen fingers or bring down the swelling in my fingers? When I bowl in my regular league (three games) I'm fine the first and half for the second, but by the end of the second game and all of the third, I can definitely feel the fact that it is harder to get my fingers into the ball. If I'm going to be bowling 6 games, I'm worried that I actually won't be able to get my fingers in the ball. I just got my ball re-fitted a few weeks ago, so I don't think it's that. And my coaches do not want me to get it re-drilled right before the tournament.

Any suggestions??

-Brandon

Edited by helloyo53 (01/09/11 07:39 PM)
Current Average - 169

Career High:
Score - 257 (2009/2010)
Triple - 604 (2010/2011)
Average - 169 (2011/2012)
Book Average - 159 (2010/2011)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#143586 - 01/09/11 07:47 PM Re: Swollen Fingers [Re: helloyo53]
Calvin Pistorio Online   content
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
First welcome to the site Brandon.

To try to reduce the swelling taking something like Tylenol, Aspirin or some other pain reliever, in a low dose, prior to bowling can help. You can try to keep the fingers cold as that helps to keep fingers form swelling too. Squeeze them with the opposite hand often when they start to swell. It helps to push the blood back out of the fingers.

Since it sounds like you have constant finger swelling, I would look into the Vacu-Grip set up. It's been described by me in several other posts over the last couple of weeks.
HS:763

#143626 - 01/10/11 06:06 AM Re: Swollen Fingers [Re: helloyo53]
MallardDuck Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: S. Korea (Camp Humphreys)
I have the same issue and I use ice between frames

#143641 - 01/10/11 08:53 AM Re: Swollen Fingers [Re: helloyo53]
trekguy Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: Mn
So, is it just the fingers, or the thumb as well. Do you have fingers inserts? I'm assuming that you do... I would go with a bigger size insert. They should be able to pop a bigger size in without re-drilling. It's not a problem to have a little room in them, as they have built-in grip ledges anyway. However, it IS a problem if your fingers get too tight... if one sticks hard enough, you are looking at finger/tendon injury.

If the thumb swells, have your thumb hole opened up enough to fit you at max size, then have white and black tape for the hole. White for the pad side, black for the knuckle side. I try to keep the white in all the time, and adjust with the black. As a last resort, I will remove the white tape to get the max amount of room.

Also, if you tend to have moist, tacky skin...try thumb tape on the back of your thumb... works wonders for me. It has solved the annoying issue of getting out of the ball consistently.

I would definitely get that figured out soon, even if it requires re-drilling to get inserts if you don't have them now. To only get a game and a half in before your fit isn't right is a problem that needs to be addressed before you injure your fingers.

Also, watch the sodium... salty foods will cause your body to puff up with water.

#143689 - 01/10/11 03:08 PM Re: Swollen Fingers [Re: helloyo53]
helloyo53 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 16/M/Ontario
Well my coach seems to think that it is my inserts again for my fingers. I will be going for a practice on Wednesday, so if the person who does the drilling is there, I will get the inserts re-done again. My thumb is perfectly fine, it is just my two fingers.

And I'll be sure to watch my sodium intake before bowling too. I had a problem with a tournament last year, I made the mistake of eating something really unhealthy before bowling, and I paid the price since I really retained water.

Thanks for the help guys! I am liking this forum so far. smile
Current Average - 169

Career High:
Score - 257 (2009/2010)
Triple - 604 (2010/2011)
Average - 169 (2011/2012)
Book Average - 159 (2010/2011)

#143712 - 01/10/11 06:49 PM Re: Swollen Fingers [Re: helloyo53]
trekguy Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Your finger inserts do not need to be snug at all, you get plenty of grip and lift from the texture and the grip ledge. Make sure you have room to expand. The good thing is it's a quick, easy fix!

#143714 - 01/10/11 07:01 PM Re: Swollen Fingers [Re: trekguy]
State Champion Contender

Originally Posted By: trekguy
Your finger inserts do not need to be snug at all,

I have to disagree with that part, at least for me. If the insert is too large I find myself having to grip the ball. I have to have it feel just a bit snug. That's why I went to the Vacu-Grips. I still have an issue at times, since all my inserts are well worn and my fingers get really shrunk. Luckily after a few frames things get better.

#143791 - 01/11/11 09:50 AM Re: Swollen Fingers [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
trekguy Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio

I have to disagree with that part, at least for me. If the insert is too large I find myself having to grip the ball. I have to have it feel just a bit snug. That's why I went to the Vacu-Grips. I still have an issue at times, since all my inserts are well worn and my fingers get really shrunk. Luckily after a few frames things get better.

You won't get a good feel with worn, slick inserts. No reason to have that... they're cheap and easy to replace.

Also, if your hand is in a good position, with your fingers below the equator, your fingers naturally hold the ball secure without being tight. The only reason it would feel like it's slipping is if your hand is on top of the ball, with your fingers (and thumb) pointing straight down.

grin

#143822 - 01/11/11 04:19 PM Re: Swollen Fingers [Re: trekguy]
State Champion Contender

You won't get a good feel with worn, slick inserts. No reason to have that... they're cheap and easy to replace.

Also, if your hand is in a good position, with your fingers below the equator, your fingers naturally hold the ball secure without being tight. The only reason it would feel like it's slipping is if your hand is on top of the ball, with your fingers (and thumb) pointing straight down.

grin

By worn, I mean they have been widened from the use. The Vacu-Grip set up uses a wider hole which allows them to expand when the fingers swell. They aren't slick. Trust me I know how cheap and easy they are to replace as I've done them countless times in the past, but I don't have the extra money to purchase them currently. More important things to worry about first.

If an insert is big it can allow the fingers to move during the swing. In the back swing the hand is over the ball for most bowlers, the fingers definitely aren't below the equator. Also a looser insert allows the finger tips to flex away from the grip and it reduces the grip the crease will have on the edge of the insert. The fingers can come out too quickly at the release due to that and rob the bowler of revs. That's why I say snug is good, not tight, but snug.

#143857 - 01/12/11 12:25 AM Re: Swollen Fingers [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
trekguy Offline
Touring Pro Contender

By worn, I mean they have been widened from the use. The Vacu-Grip set up uses a wider hole which allows them to expand when the fingers swell. They aren't slick. Trust me I know how cheap and easy they are to replace as I've done them countless times in the past, but I don't have the extra money to purchase them currently. More important things to worry about first.

If an insert is big it can allow the fingers to move during the swing. In the back swing the hand is over the ball for most bowlers, the fingers definitely aren't below the equator. Also a looser insert allows the finger tips to flex away from the grip and it reduces the grip the crease will have on the edge of the insert. The fingers can come out too quickly at the release due to that and rob the bowler of revs. That's why I say snug is good, not tight, but snug.

The weight of the ball will keep pressure on the fingers even if the hole isn't snug.

If your span is correct, your fingers won't flex away from the edge. If they do, you're probably squeezing.

The grip that the fingers have is on the pads, not the crease.

The fingers can only come out too quickly if your wrist/hand is in a weak position with your hand on top of the ball. With a good, strong hand position, the weight of the ball and gravity will keep pressure on the fingers through the release.

I'm not advocating huge sloppy finger holes, the op stated that his fingers would swell after only a game and a half. If he wants to bowl 6 or 8 games, he sure had better have some room in those inserts. My point is that finger holes that are are little loose are not a problem, but tight can cause injury. A guy in our league last year had a finger stick just a little... popped a tendon. He was hurting, done for the last month.

A couple of years ago, I had a finger insert fall out... had a four-bagger going. We had a break coming after the 2nd game, so I finished the game without it... through three more strikes.

It's all good Cal... I'm just in a debating mood, I guess. thumbsup grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Ball Damage and a Question
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - Today at 05:23 AM
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:19 PM
Confused I have been at this
by Rick S - Yesterday at 06:59 PM
Trying to get back into it!
by Doogie - Yesterday at 09:12 AM
Quiet Eye
by Doogie - Yesterday at 09:04 AM
Approach and release
by axel - Yesterday at 01:52 AM
Help me choose a new bag
by Lizard75 - 08/19/14 08:05 PM
Up to five bowlers needed to fill virtual league
by Richie V. - 08/19/14 06:46 PM
To Many Leagues?
by mmalsed - 08/19/14 04:55 PM
Fall '14 virtual league announcements & discussion
by Richie V. - 08/19/14 03:39 PM
Tournaments 2013-2014
by champ - 08/19/14 12:36 AM
Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler?
by aoiten - 08/19/14 12:18 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.