BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143817 - 01/11/11 03:39 PM Video of me bowling..critique please!
Trey Arnett Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 18/male/Argyle, TX

hey guys im a high school bowler, my average is about 190-200 range. This is just one day of footage the lanes were flooded that day and i was having a hard time getting the ball to move. Anyway any advice would be appreciated, one thing i really want to focus on is getting more revs on the ball, i just dont know how. Thanks!
Trey

Edited by Trey Arnett (01/11/11 03:58 PM)
Storm Virtual Gravity Nano
Roto Grip Tire Ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#143821 - 01/11/11 04:14 PM Re: Video of me bowling..critique please! [Re: Trey Arnett]
slowdown Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/junction city, ks
hello trey,
I watched your video 5 times. Basic rule is to move left, with the foot line up with. It my be one board or two boards or 3 board. I noticed You like to swing the ball out. Come from a different angle, with you same shot you like to throw.

i have a twelveyear old son, this past summer him and i worked on our revs. I could share with you some web that really helped me (free)
greg

Edited by Admin (01/11/11 04:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Please don't post phone numbers
Brunswick Blazing Inferno Spare Ball WD

#143826 - 01/11/11 05:15 PM Re: Video of me bowling..critique please! [Re: Trey Arnett]
stoven Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 22/m/winchester ky
One thimg I can see is that you need to try and square your shoulders up at the line..you turn your body a bit to the left at the line which cause you to lose those shots to the left which i saw you do a few times on this video...your a lefty with not a ton of hand the more square and straighter up the lane you can get the better you will become...like they say straighter is greater....with your game getting square at the line will improve you 100%...feel free to message me anytime with any questions...would be happy to help with any you have

stoven300

#143829 - 01/11/11 05:35 PM Re: Video of me bowling..critique please! [Re: stoven]
Trey Arnett Offline
Bantam

thank you both for replying.
i would love to be able to put more hand in the ball, im just not sure how to...any suggestions?
Roto Grip Tire Ball

#143913 - 01/12/11 02:14 PM Re: Video of me bowling..critique please! [Re: Trey Arnett]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
The key to getting more revs on the ball is all about getting a strong hand position. Notice that as the ball comes back your hand is already slightly to the outside of the ball. This means that your hand can only rotate so far before it pulls the fingers out of the holes. By moving the hand to a more inside position (imagine the V between the index and middle finger aimed at your target) you will get a stronger hand position and can allow the hand to rotate around the ball for a stronger release.

The key to the rotation though, is to let it happen on its own one you get the hand position down. If you attempt to rotate it yourself you will actually kill the revs instead of adding them.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#143917 - 01/12/11 02:58 PM Re: Video of me bowling..critique please! [Re: sk8shorty01]
Trey Arnett Offline
Bantam

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
The key to getting more revs on the ball is all about getting a strong hand position. Notice that as the ball comes back your hand is already slightly to the outside of the ball. This means that your hand can only rotate so far before it pulls the fingers out of the holes. By moving the hand to a more inside position (imagine the V between the index and middle finger aimed at your target) you will get a stronger hand position and can allow the hand to rotate around the ball for a stronger release.

The key to the rotation though, is to let it happen on its own one you get the hand position down. If you attempt to rotate it yourself you will actually kill the revs instead of adding them.

Thanks for replying! I always start with a strong hand position, but for some reason i tend to lose that position as my arm moves back in the swing. Any ideas on why that may happen and/or how to fix it?
Thanks!
Trey
Roto Grip Tire Ball

#143984 - 01/13/11 12:22 AM Re: Video of me bowling..critique please! [Re: Trey Arnett]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
You may need to firm your wrist up more, so that you can keep that position of the hand. Because if you are keeping a lose swing, and it looks like you are which is good, it doesn't mean the wrist should be loose. Firm it up, stay behind or to the inside until the moment of release. Example: If the fingers are at 5 o'clock (left handers) up until release, compared to 7 o'clock, look how much more you can turn the ball. Hold back up until the point of release before rotating, if you have a good position and start to rotate earlier in the swing the revs will be less. Because you will have lost the stored energy by releasing it earlier, keep it stored. It's the really the wrist that holds the stored energy because we shouldn't be squeezing the ball, or having a muscled arm swing. So the wrist needs to control the position.
Good Luck

Edited by Revenator (01/13/11 12:42 AM)

#143985 - 01/13/11 12:39 AM Re: Video of me bowling..critique please! [Re: Trey Arnett]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
Also Trey,
You are a lofter of the ball, and so am I, even more so than you. One thing to keep in mind about lofting is that it delays hook. So if you get on heavier oil patterns or you play the oil in league which delays hook farther down the lane, the lofter will be delayed even farther down. I don't change how I throw, so what I do to combat is this: When I play the oil I use the dot's just past the foul line, and when I play a drier conditon I use out to the arrows. The ball won't loft out as far when looking closer. You don't have to land the ball on the dots but fix your eyes on a target there and take the ball right over it. But you can land on them also.
Use both and you will notice you will have a little more on the ball when the oil is there. Oil use dots, dry use arrows.
Good Luck

Edited by Revenator (01/13/11 12:48 AM)

#144041 - 01/13/11 02:45 PM Re: Video of me bowling..critique please! [Re: Trey Arnett]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Here is the main culprit for early wrist turn, well two culprits that are one in the same:

1 - Not letting gravity dictate the swing. Think of it this way, as the ball comes down from the top of swing and you are pulling on it, your hand is imparting force on the ball, as you impart force on the ball it is resisting changing because of inertia. So because you are pulling the ball down and it doesn't want to go faster (inertia) it actually makes the wrist work harder in order to keep straight. If the load is too much the wrist has two choices, either bend (not good) or come around the side of the ball (also not good but better than the first).

2 - Not waiting on the ball and trying to hook it to much. This is one in the same as it has to do with gravity as well. If you take your hand and hold it in front of you flat, palm up and try this. Take your index finger of your non-bowling hand and push on your palm of the bowling hand at the "pads" where your fingers meet the palm. Notice that the "pad" that is the strongest and hardest to move is the index finger pad. So if you wait on the ball and do not try to hook the ball as the hand gets to the release portion and the weight transitions from the thumb to the fingers your hand will automatically rotate around to the side of the ball because the index side is stronger than the pinkie side. Instead many bowlers force the rotation and it causes them to just come around the ball before they should, killing the rev rate and causing the ball to spin more than it rolls.

If you can just relax and let the ball swing as free as you can possibly let it, not only will you be more accurate at the target, but you will also get more hook out of the ball. Its like any sport, if you attempted to throw a football really far it almost always becomes a "duck" and goes nowhere, but if you just relax and throw it you can get a much better throw and it typically goes further as well.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#144045 - 01/13/11 04:11 PM Re: Video of me bowling..critique please! [Re: sk8shorty01]
Trey Arnett Offline
Bantam

Thanks for the replies!

Revenator: I have a competition today on fresh oil, so i'll definitely give that a shot! thanks for the tip! I will also try to hold that firm wrist position until the last second, while coming up the back of the ball, theoretically producing more revs on the ball with added control.

sk8shorty01:
I think sometimes i get frustrated when the ball isnt turning as much as normal, and begin trying to make the ball hook, instead of letting it hook. BTW great reference with the football, as i have experienced it first hand. With that analogy it should be easier to hit my mark more consistently!
Thanks,
Trey
Roto Grip Tire Ball

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.