BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143551 - 01/09/11 02:03 PM First video, please critique
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 29/m/philippines
Hello everyone!
I've been following this site for a long time. I have an account around four years ago but I already forgot the info. This is my first video. It looks like I'm dancing on the approach and I want to eliminate that. Please give me some advice on the things I need to improve my bowling.

Some notes:
- I'm trying to have a higher backswing and I noticed that it made me miss left of my target most of the time but I'm not sure why.
- I don't actually wear a wrist support, just a Brunswick Thumb Saver. I'm wearing one this time because I recently moved to 15# and can't seem to maintain my wrist cupped during/before the release. Is it better not to use one when my wrist becomes strong enough?

Thanks in advance.

JD

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#143603 - 01/09/11 09:49 PM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I like what I'm seeing, you seem to be in fairly good shape, I don't see a whole lot you are doing wrong. I would like to see you take a longer second step, try moving back 6" and see if you can bend your right knee more on the third step and push more into the slide.

Not sure if you have any blue painter's tape available, (it doesn't leave tape residue on the approach) try putting a piece of tape after you take each step, look down at your feet, so you know where your foot is after each step, and start over after placing the tape and set up and do it again to make sure the tape is in the right place. Next move the piece of tape on the second step 6" closer to the foul line.

Next, set up with the ball and bowl your normal delivery except this time look down at the tape and try to step on each of the first two pieces, if it feels awkward don't worry, just keep repeating it over and over until it feels more natural. Then try it without looking down and see if you are able to do it without looking, if not go back to looking down at your feet the first two steps a few more times then try not looking again, repeat this over and over until you get it down.

The reason this is important is your rhythm and timing aren't coming together the way they should which is why you aren't bending your right knee low enough, because there isn't enough time to bend it and get low enough. If you look at your cadence you have one slow step and three short quick ones. You should try to have two long steps, one short one and a longer slide. You now finish a foot or more behind the foul line, hopefully you will be able to finish consistently less than 6" from the foul line.

#143680 - 01/10/11 01:16 PM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

Thanks a lot for the comments and tips CoachJim. I am practicing having a longer second step at home and it feels weird. I will work on it as well as bending my knee at the third step when I practice again at the lanes.

I watched bowling videos of Barnes and Jones and noticed that they have a push away of around 45 degrees. I also read somewhere about having that height for the push away. Mine is a bit higher I believe. Is it better to have my push away as it is now or practice the 45 degrees?

#143710 - 01/10/11 06:38 PM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Your push away is a bit long, you can try to keep your upper and lower arm still, maintaining the starting angle between them and move the ball forward with your non bowling hand until your elbow lines up with the front of your chest, then pour the weight of the ball from your left hand to your right hand and let the weight of the ball drop your hand into the swing, this will pickup the momentum of the swing and allow for a faster swing to go along with the faster foot work.

I know what you are thinking, didn't he say to slow down the first two steps? Yes, but by taking the first two steps longer and increasing the momentum of the swing, your feet will pick up speed and have better cadence and momentum into the slide. Try it and see if it works for you. It should feel less awkward than the slow swing matching up with the slower foot work. Let me know if it works for you.

#143754 - 01/11/11 12:07 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

Thanks again CoachJum. Will keep those in mind when I practice.

#143807 - 01/11/11 01:24 PM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

So here is my second video. All shots are from my final game of practice. I can see that my second step is a bit longer now so I'm happy with that but I don't think I'm really bending down to setup the slide. I feel that I'm bending more compared last time but I can't really see the difference. I also tried to eliminate some arm movements at the push away but again not sure if it's enough and if it's still high.

I'd really appreciate to hear any comments if I'm making any progress and what I still need to work on the next time I hit the lanes.

#143808 - 01/11/11 01:33 PM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

CoachJim, sorry if I misspelled your name. Didn't notice it until just now.

#143861 - 01/12/11 01:29 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
Hey looks pretty good. Your backswing looks plenty high enough. It's over rated that a high backswing is a better one. Great players have had both high and low backswings.
The one thing I noticed is your feet. The left is straight and the right is cocked to the right. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it seems to restrict your flow or cadance a little. Mess around with having them both point the same direction. You may feel a little faster at first, but you also might feet a little more smoother and cleaner throughout the delievery.
Good Luck

#143869 - 01/12/11 06:39 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Your foot work looks great the right foot being cocked to the right is fine, it helps get the hips out of the way of the ball, many pros do it. I think form wise you are in the top 10 on this site now, your push away and cadence are perfect in this video. The only thing I noticed and it's hard to tell over the net is if you are turning your hand early in the down swing, or pulling the ball down from the top, I tried pausing, but only got a blur so I couldn't tell where your hand was exactly, but over all you are really looking great, now all you need to do is score.

Scoring requires you to not think about any of those things you are doing to make the perfect approach, and requires you to rely on muscle memory to make sure those things are happening every time. For now don't worry about score and keep focusing on your second step and starting the ball exactly like you are in this video, and practice until you can do it in your sleep. When you have reached this point post another video showing your ball reaction from off your hand all the way to the pins and I will see what's happening and what you can do to score better.

#143915 - 01/12/11 02:43 PM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

Thanks for pointing that out Revenator. Actually I like to do something about that to improve fluidity in my approach, as in my second shot in the video where my first step is not that much cocked to the right. But it's really hard to correct many things at once that's why I focused on my second step and push away more.

Thanks again CoachJim. Never thought that my timing and form is that much okay (at least from the details that can be seen in the video.) It feels great to hear something like that from a great coach. As for my down swing I believe I'm turning my hand/arm early. I am now releasing at the side of the ball. Before practicing a higher back swing I am releasing from behind the ball which gives me more hook. Now it's hooking much less with my higher back swing. Any tips/drills for the down swing coach?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.