BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143952 - 01/12/11 06:29 PM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You shouldn't worry about the height of your back swing, it's high enough, let the height of the ball in your stance dictate the height of the swing. If I am bowling on heavy oil, my back swing might be much higher than my belt line. If I am bowling on light oil, the ball might be just over head high. In either case, I don't slow my swing or speed it up, I let the ball fall into the swing from a higher or lower position and just walk naturally to the foul line. Forcing the swing or slowing it down in any way will put your timing out of whack.

My coaches used to tell me to feel my index finger point toward the floor, or wrap and unwrap my fingers around the ball after it falls from the top of the back swing. This puts your wrist in a stronger position and keeps it there into the release.

Stay with working on your foot work like you are until you can repeat it without thinking about it.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#143991 - 01/13/11 02:37 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 29/m/philippines
CoachJim, what do you mean by wrapping and unwrapping the fingers around the ball?

#143995 - 01/13/11 06:02 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Quote:

CoachJim, what do you mean by wrapping and unwrapping the fingers around the ball?

Picture the ball like a door [censored] and you are wrapping your fingers and wrist around it to turn the door [censored]. When you get to the release all you need to do is extend your fingers through the bottom of the ball through your target to the break point.

#144028 - 01/13/11 11:35 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

Okay I got it. I'll focus on my footwork now to have muscle memory. Thanks for all the help CoachJim.

#144484 - 01/19/11 11:42 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

Iím confused on what I should do now. Iím getting used to my footwork but I canít really have a decent release with a higher backswing. I am not really forcing to have a higher backswing (now is more of a free arm swing) but in the past it is really low, not even reaching my waist level and I think thatís because Iím restricting it to go higher. But with that backswing I can control the ball and have a decent release. I joined a weekly league which started last week. Today is the second day and after the games, a bowler from the other team said that I have a strong wrist. I said that I may have a strong wrist but I canít hit my target consistently. Then she said thatís because during my backswing, my arm is going away from my body and my elbow is flying. (BTW, I may not have a really strong wrist because sometimes it becomes lazy and flattens out.)

Iím pretty comfortable with my approach now but I canít really control my downswing and release. I can stick to this and just work on my arm swing or I can go back to my old approach with a low backswing. Iím planning on practicing my old approach and post a video here to have a comparison. I want to ask for advice as to what I should do.

#144560 - 01/20/11 06:46 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

How about a new video so I can see what you are doing.

#144641 - 01/20/11 11:35 PM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: jdpm
Iím confused on what I should do now. Iím getting used to my footwork but I canít really have a decent release with a higher backswing. I am not really forcing to have a higher backswing (now is more of a free arm swing) but in the past it is really low, not even reaching my waist level and I think thatís because Iím restricting it to go higher. But with that backswing I can control the ball and have a decent release. I joined a weekly league which started last week. Today is the second day and after the games, a bowler from the other team said that I have a strong wrist. I said that I may have a strong wrist but I canít hit my target consistently. Then she said thatís because during my backswing, my arm is going away from my body and my elbow is flying. (BTW, I may not have a really strong wrist because sometimes it becomes lazy and flattens out.)

Iím pretty comfortable with my approach now but I canít really control my downswing and release. I can stick to this and just work on my arm swing or I can go back to my old approach with a low backswing. Iím planning on practicing my old approach and post a video here to have a comparison. I want to ask for advice as to what I should do.

Your second video really shows improvement... it flows a lot better than the first. Smoother.. better tempo. Getting rid of the little hitch in the pushaway really helped too. I have spent the last two years reworking my game from a short, controlled swing to a longer, relaxed swing. My observations... ball reaction will be different, before I had more hook and less speed... more skid/snap. If the lanes set up nice for me, I could score ok, but when they dried out... I was toast... overreaction. The longer swing means increased ball speed, and a smoother arcing motion. Much easier to adjust to changing conditions.

Once I made the decision to change... I never went back. Muscle memory is a bear to overcome, so I would recommend you stick with your plan, and don't go back to the old style, ever.

Yes, the release is trickier with a higher relaxed swing. What I've found that is really helpful for me is to think "wait". Let the ball fall in the swing and wait for it to get to your ankle. Wait, wait, wait. Then, when it's there, with your hand/wrist in a nice strong position... just unload it off your hand smoothly. The key is to wait for the ball, and not pull it down... if you pull the ball down and force it, you will trash the roll, and pull it left.

You'll find that although you will probably never have the SAME ball reaction as before, you will, with practice, be able to control the amount of hook by making subtle changes with your release rotation.

Stay with the higher swing... you won't regret it. Keep up the good work!

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#144649 - 01/21/11 01:01 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: trekguy]
shadowcat Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 42/f/around

Yes, I would have to totally agree with this. If you want a higher and smoother backswing, the key is to wait. I, too had a mediocre backswing until my coach changed it. At first, I thought "No way can I do that". But, to my surprise, after a few adjustments on the starting ball position and timing adjustments, I already have a backswing that reaches up to shoulder level. Just keep working on it and you'll get it. I would also suggest that you get a coach, jdpm. If you want, I can refer you a good one as I'm also from Manila. Just let me know. [/quote]

Edited by mpb1610 (01/21/11 01:02 AM)
#14 Storm Invasion
#14 Track 718A
#14 Rotogrip Nomad Dagger
#14 Storm Tropical Heat red/blue
#14 Ebonite Maxim (spare ball)

#144656 - 01/21/11 02:11 AM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

Yes CoachJim, I'll practice later and get some vids.

trekguy, thanks for sharing and the tips. Will keep that in mind. I'll just keep on practicing until I get more used to my approach now. Last time I was just too conscious with my down swing so I'm rolling the ball everywhere on the lane trying to get back my release. Lol.

mpb1610, maybe later on I'll get a coach if I'm comfortable enough with my game. Right now I still have many things to correct and improve. When I'm ready I'll get a coach to fine tune my game. I'll let you know next time. Thanks. It's great to know someone from Manila is active in this site too.

#144680 - 01/21/11 01:25 PM Re: First video, please critique [Re: jdpm]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

Here is an update of my approach. The house is packed today so the angles are not good. I tried to shorten up my back swing so I could stay behind the ball and have more control. I was still finishing about a foot behind the foul line to have some allowance because I was trying to bend more at the third step.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 02/29/20 01:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.