BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14343 - 11/30/05 04:47 PM Strange Ball Reaction - What makes it do that ?
Mutilated1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 36/Male/Pell City AL, Right Ha...
Sometimes at these two house I bowl at where I bowl my ball does something funny. It goes down the lane in what looks like a good arc to the pocket, but then in the last 10 feet or so the ball sort of does a little stutter step kind of thing. Its hard to describe, its like its gearing up to really break left and then it straightens out for a bit and then goes left a bit more, and straigtens out. I'm probably not explaining it right, but its making its break to the left and it looks like it loses traction and goes straight and gets traction again, sometimes 2-3 times. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, what makes the ball do that ? Is that what is called the carrydown oil ?

How do you combat a situation like that ?

Its really frustrating.

The lanes I notice it on are Brunswick Pro-Anvil synthetic if that makes any difference. The mechanic at the lanes calls the oil condition "light oil" but I end up with oil on the ball after each shot.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#14344 - 11/30/05 07:27 PM Re: Strange Ball Reaction - What makes it do that ?
Jason Fewell Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 32/Male/Mckinney, Tx
Carrydown is exactly right. I would try different angles to the pocket in this situation. Either move right and speed up or left and slow down. I may also try a deeper shot. By this I mean, I would move left, (Right hander), and instead of swinging the ball I would throw more direct at the 10 pin and let the ball hook into the pocket with a smaller arc. I would also watch where other people are playing and see if they are getting to the pocket and if so, from where...Hope this helps!

#14345 - 11/30/05 07:30 PM Re: Strange Ball Reaction - What makes it do that ?
Jason Fewell Offline
Bracket Donor

Oh, the cause of this is either an earlier league already bowled on that pair or it's an open play day, like Sunday, and they haven't run the lanes. People are throwing in all different areas of the lane spreading the oil in different locations...Very common.

#14346 - 11/30/05 11:56 PM Re: Strange Ball Reaction - What makes it do that ?
Mutilated1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 36/Male/Pell City AL, Right Ha...
Thats probably what it is. When I bowl there, I usually bowl about 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning, and the mechanic doesn't treat the lanes untill about 3:30-4:00 in the afternoon.

Unfortunately watching where other people are playing is not usually an option because when I'm there to practice that early I usually have the whole place to myself other than the staff that work there.

#14347 - 12/01/05 02:43 AM Re: Strange Ball Reaction - What makes it do that ?
Jason Fewell Offline
Bracket Donor

Yeah, that early wouldn't be feasible to watch anyone else. I wasn't sure what time you practice. What you might do is practice after 4, when then lanes are ran. It makes a big difference. It is good, though, to practice on carrydown for future leagues, tournaments, etc...I'll check out that CC website, thanks...

#14348 - 12/03/05 12:17 PM Re: Strange Ball Reaction - What makes it do that ?
MADDOG Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 33/MALE/VA.
Well does your ball only do this in this one house? Is the lanes the same like wood or synthetic? Not sure if you know this and I'm sure you do but on some lanes they have about 5 feet of lane change....changing from wood to what looks to be one solid piece of hard plastic. Its hard to notice it from the fowl line but if you walk all the way down to the pins you'll see it....some places have it some places dont....like i said it depends on if its a wood house or synthetic. If you stroke the ball and not come all the way through it like a cranker would you'll see this more often. I have balls that are drilled to hook hard and then roll flat at the end and then I have others that go long and finish hard. Not sure if this helps but if you talk to the guy who oils the lanes he can tell you what the back ends are made of. In one of my houses they have a mat like back end and when shooting at a spare you'll see your ball make a little hop right before hitting the back pin such as a 5 pin or even a 10 pin.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.