BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143312 - 01/06/11 01:53 PM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: looseleftie]
Norm3v Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34 M NJ US
I agree, I think there are people who believe that a ball change would have been the difference in a score for no particular reason other than the fact that that a new ball would score higher just because it just came out compared to their last ball that came out 6 months ago.

However, I also look at myself as someone who has bought a good amount of equipment in the past 2 years, but doesn't buy into a new ball being the best ball theory.

For newer bowlers, having the wrong ball can impede their learning process. They can be applying bad mechanics to compensate for bad ball reaction on the lane if that ball (or drilling/surface prep) isn't a good choice for those lane conditions. I could get my old Virtual Gravity to the pocket everytime, but I knew the ball reaction was bad and I was cheating my development by sticking with the ball. I also had a weakly drilled Reign which I was fighting for the complete opposite reason. I was down to a 184 average in the summer and raised it to 214 since mostly due to improving my mental game and mechanics. However, if I never got proper equipment (Mission for more oil without sacrificing backend and Mutant Cell Pearl for drier conditions with carrydown), my development would have been stunted and I wouldn't have improved as much. I am now able to relax and stick with my A game as long as I can because I don't have to change my mechanics as much to combat different condtions which didn't allow me to gain any consistancy. Now that I know who I am and what I can do in bowling, I can alter my hand, ball, body positions, speed, etc. to adjust to a shot because I have a solid foundation to work from. Oh, and I still believe I stink at this game, but thats the advice I live by unless I am a pro on TV lol.
- Lucid
- Tropical Heat Pearl (Red/Blue)

High Game: 300 (2)
High Series: 758
Average: 210

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#143330 - 01/06/11 08:39 PM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: Norm3v]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
This is a very good thread Loose Leftie, As you can see by my tag I did go out last year and buy a hook in a box ball, but only after using other equipment for a year after my return to bowling which I still use.

And you are correct the best ball without practice and a little know how is the same as using an alley ball it is not going to work miracles on its own My year old Mutant works better and moves for me more now then when I bought it as well as all my other equipment (Did get the Mutant resurfaced) but the reason is because I am finally learning a better release and gaining balance thanks to practice, practice practice. And I still have a long way to go.

Something else I notice and maybe this needs its own thread, is people complain a lot about a tough shot. I embrace it, Burnt lanes, oil carried down to the pins, oil clear out to the 2 board what ever. Now I am not saying it is my favorite way to bowl but since I have bowled on almost all of these conditions in the past few years there are very few spots I am uncomfortable bowling from on the lanes and I believe I can get at least near my average (190) on just about any condition because of practicing in these so called horrible house.
Mutant Cell

#143333 - 01/06/11 08:53 PM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: Rocket]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: Rocket
Something else I notice and maybe this needs its own thread, is people complain a lot about a tough shot. I embrace it, Burnt lanes, oil carried down to the pins, oil clear out to the 2 board what ever. Now I am not saying it is my favorite way to bowl but since I have bowled on almost all of these conditions in the past few years there are very few spots I am uncomfortable bowling from on the lanes and I believe I can get at least near my average (190) on just about any condition because of practicing in these so called horrible house.

It's pretty much the same mindset as with getting the new balls early and often. It's the I want to score well but shouldn't have to practice, be accurate or even release the ball the same each time kind of mindset.

I quit bowling in a center 3+ years ago because of the deplorable lane conditions, but it wasn't the only reason. The lack of respect for league bowlers and constantly lying to us that nothing was different was just as big if not a bigger part of it, but that's for another discussion.
HS:763

#143378 - 01/07/11 10:15 AM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: looseleftie]
BobH Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 54/M/Dallas,TX
I have bought all new equipment in the past 8 years due to a shoulder problem that no longer allowed me to swing 16lbs. anymore. The first resin I bought was an Ebonite Crossfire. This was my first resin, since all my 16 lb stuff was either eurothane or plastic. I STILL love that ball... it rolls/hits sweet for a polished resin! As I have learned what Resins do/can do and what synthetic lanes do (tendencies), I have gradually added pieces into my arsenal that have different rolling characteristics but will continue to fill the "frame" of my eye... lines/movements that I can see/feel and also feel physically comfortable and confident playing them.

Edited by BobH (01/07/11 10:16 AM)

#143423 - 01/07/11 06:58 PM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: looseleftie]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
OK, NOW I need a new (different) ball! The lane guy started oiling in the middle of my warm-up, finishing after it had ended. My first game shot slid into the gutter. The whole time my urethane ball was sliding too much. I got it together for 4 in a row in the second game, but then I lost it again. NEED LATEST SUPER BALL NOW! haha At least a low-end reactive.

#143428 - 01/07/11 07:37 PM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: looseleftie]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
I also hear a lot of talk about people wanting to buy the latest HDTV, Digital camera, printer, vehicle, iPod, cell phone, computer...the list goes on and on even though they have one already. So why should bowling be any different? I think it's a matter of not what people need but what makes them happy. Sometimes necessity/logic does not prevail over human emotion. smile
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#143434 - 01/07/11 08:51 PM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: VFF57]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Got me there vf, I am an electronics aholic good point!
Mutant Cell

#143456 - 01/08/11 09:14 AM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: Rocket]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: Rocket
Got me there vf, I am an electronics aholic good point!

Rocket, if it wasn't for a small matter of not enough cash, I would have a Game Room with four lanes and a truck load of balls to accessorize...lol
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#143457 - 01/08/11 09:29 AM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: VFF57]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Lol, Jordan says if we win mega millions we are buying a local house that went bankrupt and reopening it. It actually is a very nice house 48 lanes synthetic nice Game Room and new putt putt course outside, the owner got killed in a car accident and didnt carry enough insurance to pay the debt and his parents couldn't do it.

If I had any business sense I would consider buying it but my wife thinks a roof over our head and food in our belly is more important then bowling. Women!
Mutant Cell

#143460 - 01/08/11 10:16 AM Re: talk from bowlers about this new ball or that ball [Re: looseleftie]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 42/m/ny
i've never got the whole 'i need six plus balls with me to bowl on a THS' line of thinking. i kinda think it's funny in a way.

i say this, because 2 guys on my monday night team avg over 200, and both of them only use one ball. they also carry 200 avg's in other houses they bowl, so they do encounter different conditions etc..

i'm no pro, but i do notice other bowlers trying to stuff the ball where they want it, rather then see where it's going, and making moves to get it to roll where they want it.

working on all of them......

track 930T [15]

member of the mooseknuckles winter vl team

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 03:59 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.