BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142513 - 12/28/10 04:29 PM Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Hi, I am asking whether u can wear non bowling shoes on the lanes, due to the inconsistant approaches over last month. My usual shoes, I only have one pair, is fine for where I bowl . Recently something has changed, not sure exactly, anyway went bowling with my kids, and used my normal casual runners , as i didn't have my bowling bag in the car, and was just having fun with the kids with a house ball.. Anyway, I loved the stability, they seemed to have very solid grip, making approach much easier, I am also a planter...

I'm not sure about bowling centre's insurance in regards to wearing or providing safe footwear??

Love an answer on this one
Looseleftie

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#142518 - 12/28/10 05:25 PM Re: Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes [Re: looseleftie]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
It's really up to the center. In my area as long as the shoes will not leave any marks or residue on the approach, the centers usually don't care. Now if you are going to wear "street" shoes for bowling, make sure they are used just for the purpose of bowling and not worn outside of the center. They would for all intents and purposes become your bowling shoes and should be carried in the bag as your current shoes. If you wear them outside of the center you will track all kinds of dirt, rocks and residue back into the center and onto the approaches and possibly damaging the approaches as well as causing unsafe conditions to other bowlers.
HS:763

#142558 - 12/29/10 02:06 AM Re: Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes [Re: looseleftie]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Thanks Calvin, I was hoping that I might be able to try. If I were to use non bowling shoes, they would become bowling shoes and kept in the bag.. Bowling tonight, I might take Ye olde Dunlop volleys, and give them a go...

#142563 - 12/29/10 08:22 AM Re: Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes [Re: looseleftie]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

If you have ever wore them anywhere other than the center clean the bottoms throughly and make sure they leave no marks on the approaches.

#142580 - 12/29/10 11:12 AM Re: Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
ryanfeia Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 26/M/Wisconsin
Any type of shoes that are not bowling specific are not allowed. Street shoes are not allowed down past the counters at all. (all at my center)

Lots of kids/high schoolers get yelled at everyday for tracking in water/snow onto the lane areas.

If I saw someone doing something like that I would yell at them no questions asked.
Victory Road Solid
Reign Supreme
Brunswick Plastic

Fall 2011 Stats
THS AVG:192.00
Sport AVG: 179.00
HG:279 HS:693

"Stop Whining, Go Practice!"

#142597 - 12/29/10 12:47 PM Re: Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes [Re: looseleftie]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
I would never use a non-bowling shoe as the slide shoe. I have heard of people using a tennis shoe as the push off shoe, but for the slide shoe that's a bad idea for both your knee and the lane, while you might not be able to see anything being left behind there is a good chance that a thin layer of residue is being left behind. It could also become a hazard for another bowler that tries to slide and hit's your residue. I get that you don't try and slide but if your foot moves at all even in a twisting motion there is a chance that bad things are happening.

If you want less slide they make replaceable soles that don't slide and won't be damaging to the lanes. They also have slide socks that can go over shoes or in your case a power step that could be worn on your slide foot.

Bottom line if I was sharing a lane with you and stuck for whatever reason, I'd blame your shoes first and wouldn't be too happy about it.

#142599 - 12/29/10 01:09 PM Re: Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes [Re: looseleftie]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

Non-marking shoes don't leave residue. Bowling shoes have non-marking rubber for heels or on the push off foot as well. By that logic they leave residue and shouldn't be used either if they have any rubber on them.

I know a bowler that uses high top basketball shoes to bowl in. They are for bowling only, they stay in his locker or bowling bag. I've never heard of anyone complaining about issues with the approach because of his shoes. He doesn't have the Achilles Tendon in his plant foot, he doesn't slide at all, and needed the extra support. I've only ever seen one bowling shoe that is high tops and he started using these well before those ever came out.

#142913 - 01/02/11 07:57 PM Re: Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes [Re: looseleftie]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Looseleftie, what brand/model shoes do you usually use?

One time I tried using street shoes and I strained my leg a bit. It felt like I was wearing suction cups on my feet. No plans to do that again.

Today I was wishing that I had more traction on my slide side. Considering that I'm using permanently mod'ed Dexter Ricky II's, it might be time to buy new shoes.

I'm thinking about ordering a pair of Brunswick Classic shoes, which seem almost identical to Dexter's SST6. The package comes with 4 soles and 4 heels. One of the combinations should work.

#142914 - 01/02/11 08:46 PM Re: Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes [Re: aoiten]
ewn51 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 62/m/ohio
Watch the sales at the discount bowling outlet. I bought a pair of lh specific bowling shoes, they are Dexters and are a out dated model. They were 115.00 shoes for 33.00 bucks great deal and I love the shoes.
Prodigy 14# (Thanks Storm & Congratulations on the #1 Finish at the Battle of the Brands!)
Attitude Shift 14#
Hyroad 14#
Tropical Heat Silver/Black 14#
Fast 14#
Ice Storm 14#

#142938 - 01/03/11 06:50 AM Re: Wearing non bowling shoes on the lanes [Re: looseleftie]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Hey Aoiten, I use basic AMF shoes,few years old god nic and very slidy, but comfortable and overall good shoe..

I was looking for a pair of Dexters with the interchangeablle heels, but my centre doesn't carry it in stock, and would take the time of Hayley's comet to reappear to order them in, useless [censored]$ that sadly they are at my centre...

So I thought, why not try a pair of tennis shoes, I plant, so, I got the old Dunlop volleys out (made sure they were totally clean of any foreign substance on the sole), bowled three times over last 8 days, first day was a bit rough, last two series bowled well.. Great traction, only thing is not a lot of support, so I will look into another tennis shoe with a bit more shock absoption on the heels...I have permantely put them into my bowling bag.. Overall, I don't know how other planers feel, but I should have done this years ago!!

As per usual, I break with most common traditions of bowling.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.