BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142480 - 12/28/10 08:58 AM Re: 2-handers in the Shark Championship [Re: aoiten]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Interesting to see whether two handed bowling will get that extra momentum, and be taken a little bit more serious by other bowlers (league and PBA)..

As Belmo said some time ago, look how the two handers go against traditional bowlers and their success rate... If there are up to 4 two handers on PBA, imagine (in theory) the rate of success if there were say 10 for the sake of this post... HMMM, makes u think... I have seen about 6 two handers now over last two years at my centre...Numbers are slowly increasing, I don't know about your centres?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#142499 - 12/28/10 12:37 PM Re: 2-handers in the Shark Championship [Re: looseleftie]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Originally Posted By: looseleftie
Interesting to see whether two handed bowling will get that extra momentum, and be taken a little bit more serious by other bowlers (league and PBA)..

As Belmo said some time ago, look how the two handers go against traditional bowlers and their success rate... If there are up to 4 two handers on PBA, imagine (in theory) the rate of success if there were say 10 for the sake of this post... HMMM, makes u think... I have seen about 6 two handers now over last two years at my centre...Numbers are slowly increasing, I don't know about your centres?

The success rate is very high for two-handers in the PBA, isn't it? I've seen some local people "play" with two-handing, but only maybe one or two who do it regularly. There were a pair of "Asian" girls using thumbless techniques; they were pretty good. At the alley were I see more Asian people, I see thumbless techniques used more. (Maybe that's why I'm drawn to it, being half Asian? heh)

I'm starting to feel the way Belmo does. He doesn't want to be thought of as just "The Two-handed Bowler." He just wants to be recognised as a bowler, preferably as a GOOD bowler.

I thought something similar when a kid said to not two-hand next time. (I'm just bowling...what're talking about?) I didn't know the context of his comment, but later I was told that he thought I was cheating. Huh?! It seems that people who don't understand the technique have the most complaints about it. The only thing the second hand does is support the ball until just before the release. Yeah...that's cheating. O.o If anything, for the less skilled two-handers (me), always using two hands is the /opposite/ of cheating. heh

#142506 - 12/28/10 01:24 PM Re: 2-handers in the Shark Championship [Re: aoiten]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
My chief concern with the two-handed approach, is long term effects on the body, just like regular thumbless bowling and the plant and pull crankers. All of these styles tend to take more work to be able to be consistent. A lot of moving parts that need to be timed just right.

I do believe Belmo to be a good bowler, he's won many international tournaments, but when you have a unique style like his, you become known as "The Two-Handed Bowler."

I don't like the way the USBC and to a lesser extent the PBA want to push the style though. It's a good idea for the USBC to study it and the bio-mechanics that goes along with it but don't try to make it out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Also there can be such a thing as too much power, look at all the trouble these bowlers started to have on the show.
HS:763

#142514 - 12/28/10 04:54 PM Re: 2-handers in the Shark Championship [Re: aoiten]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Two-handing can be done in a relaxed mode due to the support of the second hand. If your back is in good condition, it shouldn't pose a problem. The stresses on the hand, wrist, and shoulder seem lower compared to one-handing. I've been having trouble with my left hip though. (That's part of a pre-existing condition.)

I didn't notice the two-handers having any problems that anyone else didn't experience. They did well, qualifying for two events each. I'm curious about the number of people who qualified on multiple patterns.

For some reason I don't think of two-handing as a power technique. Maybe because I lack power for now? I just see it as a way to deliver the ball.

I understand the feeling of two-handing being promoted or pushed to an unreasonable or annoying degree. As a person who enjoys alternative techniques, it's common to have one-handed hook bowling pushed and promoted at me. heh And I have been overzealous at times promoting my preferred flavour of the month. What I find time and again, the more I think I've learned, the less I really know.

My wife, for example, has some non-textbook elements to her game. I was thinking yesterday that we should work on those things, especially her swing timing. Then I came across a video of Diandra Asbaty and found that she does things in a similar way. Who am I to argue with something that works?

http://www.pba.com/Bowlers/Bowler/37075

#142519 - 12/28/10 05:25 PM Re: 2-handers in the Shark Championship [Re: aoiten]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
There is a group of 5 kids that are my local center's "bowlers of the future", I've seen them all try two handed and they can score pretty good with it, but right now they all favor a Fagan-esque sky high backswing. They actually have a pretty amazing ability to mimic PBA player styles.

Only know of one league bowler that bowls two handed and he's terrible, actually think he scares off other people from trying the two handed technique because they don't want to be associated with him. Not only does he not score well but he looks silly trying to do it.

It all has to start somewhere though, I remember when snow boards first came out and the few people that tried it looked stupid, now it's probably as popular if not more so then skiing.

#142521 - 12/28/10 05:44 PM Re: 2-handers in the Shark Championship [Re: aoiten]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I know of one two handed bowler in my area, and that's even if he is still doing it. He was 15 when I first met him in a merchandise league, and he is probably around 20 now. His father is in the local hall of fame. He was good then, averaging around 200 on the short pattern we had. He started bowling around 3 years old. He always wanted to use the exact bowling balls his father used, which were 16 lbs, so he had to use two hands and just kept at. He kept at bowling while participating in other sports as well. I know I heard he moved up to adult leagues a few seasons ago. At one point he was talking about maybe converting to a one handed approach but I doubt he did.
HS:763

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Today at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.