BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141966 - 12/21/10 12:15 AM A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond
jpleboeuf Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27 / M / Cut Off, LA
Here are a few shots with my new Black Diamond. I noticed that I get the ball closer to my left ankle than I used to, but holy cow I don't stay behind/under the ball at all. My release is still pretty inconsistent. When I get it right I get a great ball reaction. In every sport I've ever played I've been super streaky. Bowling seems to be no exception.

I bowled six games today and averaged about 200, with a high of 248 and a low of 175.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#141972 - 12/21/10 03:59 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
Muggel Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 43 Germany
the reason why you´r not able to keep you hand under the ball is position of you body at the foulline! Try to keep your body (shoulder ,hips) square to the foulline and keep you right food during the slide behind your body not far left of it,this turns your whole body to the right and you don´t have a chance for a free straight armswing!

#141974 - 12/21/10 06:41 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I assume this thread is about the ball and not asking for a critique of the bowler. The ball does have a smooth, even roll. I came back from far out and held a line when tight, unless you were playing different lines, which I couldn't tell from the video. I can hear the distinctive sound of a L/M strike. I attribute that to the ball being solid, without any filler.

But, the ball hit hard and splashed when it needed. It will improve you. Get your last step fixed and the sky's the limit. Enjoy.

BTW, I assume you were selective in your shots shown, as the music changed with your shots. How were the bad shots? Did you leave makeable spares? Can you rely on this ball for spare shots? Looks like you have to understand what this ball can do on the backend, or it could be chop city.

FWIW, my worst spare, as tracked for over a year was the 3-6 split. I call it a split, cause, I generally only get 1 of the pins, regardless what ball I use.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#141988 - 12/21/10 09:53 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

After a few hours, I just had to watch that ball roll again. I really like it. Makes me sad I had to give mine up. It was a great ball, and still rolling in the hands of another.

#142013 - 12/21/10 12:22 PM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
jpleboeuf Offline
League Bowler

Dennis,

Of course I was selective, lol. I posted it so that people could see a L/M ball in action since there seems to be some interest around here. There are very few videos of the Black Diamond that I could find on the internet.

Since the lanes were pretty dry my misses were usually high. I got quite a few splits going through the nose, but those were my fault as it took me too long to adjust. I use my dead Invasion for far right side spares (10, 6-10, 6, 9), but I'll use the Black Diamond for everything else. It's funny, but I haven't missed a 10 pin in about my last 15 tries using my Invasion. I guess it wasn't a colossal waste after all.

BTW, I won't be offended if anyone wants to give me a pointer or two on how I can not twist like a pretzel at the line, lol.

#142033 - 12/21/10 02:10 PM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
I wish I didn't watch the video because now I want one..lol

Looked smooth with a nice controllable balance of midlane and backend reaction. Have you seen any roll-out with the ball on the drier conditions?

I started the winter leagues with a new VG and a Lane #1 Big Curve. Here it is December and I've already given each one a HW bath and a resurface because they lost their punch. Can't seem to bring em back the way I want either. Hope your LM BD holds-up.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#142036 - 12/21/10 02:30 PM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
jpleboeuf Offline
League Bowler

VFF57,

I can't say that I've ever had much of a problem with roll-out, regardless of ball. I'm under the assumption that I'm slightly speed dominant and it seems I'm constantly fighting to get the ball into a roll, which is a reason I chose the Black Diamond. I'm no expert but I think the Black Diamond with its OOB surface might not be right for a rev dominant player on a THS. But what do I know, lol.

It's strange because my Invasion seems to have died after about 1 season, yet I still use my Storm Super Power Pearl (2001) to this day and I haven't noticed any loss of reaction with absolutely no maintenance. I hope what I've read about L/M is true and I can use my Black Diamond for seasons to come. And if it holds up you can bet I'll be a L/M guy from now on.

Give one a shot!

#142103 - 12/22/10 12:25 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: VFF57]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: VFF57
I wish I didn't watch the video because now I want one..lol

Looked smooth with a nice controllable balance of midlane and backend reaction. Have you seen any roll-out with the ball on the drier conditions?

I started the winter leagues with a new VG and a Lane #1 Big Curve. Here it is December and I've already given each one a HW bath and a resurface because they lost their punch. Can't seem to bring em back the way I want either. Hope your LM BD holds-up.

VFF, I can answer that. And, no you won't see roll out in dryer conditions. What will happen is the ball will be too strong. The turn won't flatten, but get stronger. That made it difficult to control on dry, for me. But, fortunately, I had another Lane Master ball to take over at that point.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my Lane Master arsenal. A 5 year old Terminator is ready for heavy. My XTreme Damage takes over in med conditions. And, I just got my Widow Maker delivered and drilled. That will take the place of my Cell Pearl for its length and late snap.

They are now all 15#'s, and raring to go.

I'm not anticipating any early retirement of his Black Diamond either. As my former 16 pounder is still going strong for a friend into its third season.

#142105 - 12/22/10 01:00 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
jpleboeuf Offline
League Bowler

Dennis,

If you see my post in the "what did you bowl today" thread I bowled on dry conditions tonight. I experienced just what you said. I ended up with my left foot starting on 40 shooting 17, by far the farthest inside I've ever had to play. The ball could handle this line, but I wasn't used to it. I won't see these conditions often, but I can tell you I'm already thinking about getting a slightly weaker L/M ball (not soon, but when I can). Still shot 619 and I feel like I didn't adjust all that well. Once I get used to the new lines I can easily see my average going from 195 into the low 200s.

#142109 - 12/22/10 07:38 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: Dennis Michael]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
no you won't see roll out in dryer conditions. What will happen is the ball will be too strong. The turn won't flatten, but get stronger

Thanks Dennis. My VG and Big Curve flattens out and hits weak. Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between depletion - roll-out or carry-down/heavy oil. If I suspect depletion I'll try a weaker ball to see if that finishes. I rather have the ball be too strong in the dry because at least I'll know what's going on so I can make an immediate change instead of guessing.

I'm reluctant to buy another ball right now since I just bought the Big Curve and another VG ($110 bucks in ProAm), but this ball is sounding like a must have.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.