BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142118 - 12/22/10 09:14 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: VFF57]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I'll just say that I appreciated jpleboeuf's video because it was not done by someone with a 'perfect' form and release. The bowler was not some staffer or pro with very mechanical methods. But, it was done by an average Joe, like us. No disrespect to jpleboeuf is meant by this comment.

Frankly, when I watch other ball videos, I can't really tell if it is the ball or the bowler who is making the ball do what I see. Most don't help in my ball selection, as I don't roll the same. I can't use the same lines. And, I don't have the same revs.

There are times when my form and release are not perfect as those videos show. But, his video seemed to show the ball moreso then the bowler. Yeah, he let it out, and yeah, he held it tight. And, you could see how the ball reacted to each. Which is more like I bowl then one of those staffers.

Not to belittle other balls, but I know that my VG would roll out, as you said on less then desired conditions. I know that my Cell Pearl was unforgiving if I rolled it tight. I know that my Black Widow would not come back if I let it out too far. And, that is speaking from experience.

This ball, and a few other L/M balls I have had are more forgiving to my form errors. I feel my XTreme Damage talks with me when I roll. It says, "oh, you rolled me out here, so I must get back to the pocket. OK." And it does. Or, "Hey, why am I so close to the center oil? Gotta hold my turn to hit flush."

I have a current teammate on Wed who wanted to bowl with me. And, when one of the guys had to quit, I asked him to join, and he did. He's a pretty accomplished bowler, better then I. He's seen me roll 750 this year; roll 14 consecutive strikes over 2 games; saw my 295, 289, and a few 279's; start poorly, then run the table for the final 7. He's seen me shoot 170, then follow up with a 250. Last Mon, we also bowl in the same league, but on opposing teams, and we bowled against each other, head to head. I started with a 258, 10 strikes and 2 10-pin spares. I had come late, got no practice rolls, and was a little stiff from the 45 min ride. I'll admit, I wasn't a pretty sight to watch in that game. But, his comment made me laugh to myself. He said, "I've never seen someone roll so many good pocket hits, using so many different lines!" "Haha", I thought. "It wasn't me. It was the ball that saved me."
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#142126 - 12/22/10 10:49 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
Two questions...First for Dennis...When you rolled the 295 did you leave the Greek Church on your last ball? I am just curious. Great game by the way smile

Also, are bowlers allowed to throw the Lane Master balls on the Regional Tour? I am assuming they cannot because I have never seen one on the National tour or on the Regional Tour.

#142135 - 12/22/10 12:10 PM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
You can't use any equipment not registered with the PBA in any of the PBA Events. That registration costs the company money, and some can't afford the fee, or find it's not worth it.
HS:763

#142136 - 12/22/10 12:24 PM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
jpleboeuf,

Which BD did you get from Buddies? There's the LMDIAMOND (Pearl) and the LMBLKDIAR (Reactive/Solid). I looked back in the other thread when you first got the ball, but didn't see that mentioned.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#142159 - 12/22/10 04:48 PM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
jpleboeuf Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27 / M / Cut Off, LA
I got the reactive/solid. Here's a link:

http://www.buddiesproshop.com/product/7073/Lane_Masters_Black_Diamond_Bowling_Ball.htm

Dennis and I have talked it up so much that I fear you might be dissapointed. But it definitely fits MY game. I needed something smooth since I tend to not have a very consistent release. I can tell you it's a bit stronger than I anticipated after rolling it on dryish conditions at league last night, but if you bowl on at least medium conditions I think it should work out nicely. And if it keeps its reaction for at least a couple of seasons it will have been well worth the purchase.

Dennis,

No offense taken. In fact, I agree that amateur videos are much more useful in trying to determine what a ball will do for regular guys.

#142162 - 12/22/10 06:17 PM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Thanks for the link jpleboeuf.

Quote:
Dennis and I have talked it up so much that I fear you might be dissapointed

Right now I'm looking for something that I can count on for at least a couple of seasons on medium to medium/heavy oil without dying out. The ball doesn't have to be a hook monster but I do want something that will pick up in the mid lane and keep on going without flattening out. I hear nothing but good things about these balls so I don't think I will be disappointed.

I'm going to visit the LM site again and take another look at what else they have just to make sure before deciding. I just got done resurfacing my VG and Big Curve again and if it doesn't work out I may be buying an LM real soon...lol
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#142183 - 12/23/10 01:05 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: spillup24]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: spillup24
Two questions...First for Dennis...When you rolled the 295 did you leave the Greek Church on your last ball? I am just curious. Great game by the way smile

Also, are bowlers allowed to throw the Lane Master balls on the Regional Tour? I am assuming they cannot because I have never seen one on the National tour or on the Regional Tour.

Spillup, I used my 5 year old Terminator for the 295 a week ago. In the final frame, the first strike hit a little high, but kicked out the 4 pin. So, I moved left a few boards. The second strike hit light, but splashed the pins. So, I moved back a board. I really didn't focus on the final shot, as I should have. I sent the ball too wide, and it didn't come back. Left a washout, 1-2-4-8-10. 277 tonight with my XTreme Damage. A teammate used his Black Diamond for a 278 in the previous game, while another teammate used my old Terminator that I gave him for a pair of 240's. Our team had a good night tonight.

And no, Lane Masters didn't pay juice to the PBA, as other companies have opted not to do. So, it can't be used in regionals. It's not like L/M has a loyal user like WRW who paid the fee for Morich, so he could use those balls in tournaments.

I think it's a shame that that is the case. Fans should be able to see what ever ball works, nor what ball has paid money. But, I see L/M balls in local tourneys, and ABT events all around the area. They are dominant there.
Besides, at my level, there is more money to be won bowling in these.

Edited by Dennis Michael (12/23/10 01:08 AM)

#142184 - 12/23/10 01:18 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Also, used my new L/M Widow Maker tonight in practice to see just what it can do on our heavy oil pattern. I was shocked. this ball is really strong on the back end. I got it to replace my dying Cell Pearl that just won't turn the corner any more. But, the Widow Maker makes a hockey stick turn that the Cell Pearl could only hope to do. I feel this ball may be too strong for me, as I don't do my best playing so far inside.

But, it crossed the 44' oil pattern with ease, hit the break at the 6 board, then turned and rattled the pins. They were crushing blows, and it stayed there through the game. I was afraid to use it in competition, and feel I need to become acquainted with the ball more. So, more practice is warranted. Not because of the ball, but I want to understand what it will do as oil moves, and what it will do on spares. I won't take the chance to hurt the team with a new ball.

#142187 - 12/23/10 02:04 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
jpleboeuf Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27 / M / Cut Off, LA
Shot 184-255-176 for 615 tonight at my Wed. league. My average there was 191 before this week. First game was just a blah game. Threw the ball okay but couldn't string anything. Second game hit the pocket every shot until the last ball in the 10th. Third game the lanes were really shot and moved left. Was inconsistent there until the last shot where I moved back to my natural line and just threw it a little harder, flush strike. Usually when I do this I can hit the pocket, but leave 10s b/c the ball doesn't have a chance to get into a roll, but I'm just learning what the Black Diamond can do. Next time out I think I'll just try to stay with the line with more speed and see what happens.

I was thinking that the Black Diamond was going to be a little weaker than my Invasion was when it was new, but I really don't think so anymore. 619 and 615 in my first two series and I feel that I'm just getting to know it. It's probably a little to strong for the 3rd game at my centers, but for now I'm going to have to find a line and release that works on burnt out lanes. Eventually (when the wife allows, lol) I'm going to buy something from L/M that's a little weaker.

#142208 - 12/23/10 09:58 AM Re: A few shots with my L/M Black Diamond [Re: jpleboeuf]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Don't know if this will work for you, but when I found spread conditions in later games, instead of moving left and swinging that ball out, I moved right and played outside of the track. You can tell if that would work in a couple of rolls. I worked often for me. A stance of 17 with the target of 6-8 at the arrows out was what I used.

Still do that occasionally with my XD. The XD would have a similar roll to your BD abut not as strong and the arc would be inside of it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 4 seconds ago
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.