BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141908 - 12/20/10 12:21 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 51/M/Brockton, MA
Even in the chat, some of us remarked that he looked, with the bald head and sunglasses, like Dr. Evil from the "Austin Powers" movies...I found that a bit amusing.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 179 HS: 646 HG: 269
Sunday Niters - Avg: 179 HS: 676 HG: 259
Composite Avg: 179

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#141910 - 12/20/10 12:28 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Just watched the Scorpion matches on YouTube. It sounded like the announcers like and respect Gu.

Jun-Yung Kim was brilliant, too.

(Is taping the fingers primarily a "Pacific" thing? A bunch of P-League women do that. I suggested it to my wife since she is getting some callouses and experiences grip burn sometimes.)

#141911 - 12/20/10 12:56 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I have seen several American Pro bowlers tape up the fingers. Wes Malott does, at least on occasion and I know I've seen others. Pete Weber uses the glove for the same reason others tape those fingers up, to protect the fingers from cuts and calluses. Now I don't see too many using anything on the knuckle side of the thumb on the Tour, but have seen it done in leagues.
HS:763

#141915 - 12/20/10 01:50 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
The feeling of a taped show is not even close to the amount of pressure of a live Television Event. Don i know from experience? I don't but it is just obvious to me that the pressure is different. The entire ambiance is different. The entire event is different. A regular event is one week long bowling 40+ games and then Round robin the next day and then TV the following day. These events are not even close to that.

Edited by spillup24 (12/20/10 01:51 PM)

#141917 - 12/20/10 02:39 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

Actually most tournaments start on Tuesday, sometimes Wednesday, not all of them have a Round Robin. Most of the time they don't bowl on Saturday at all and then Sunday is the show. The show is the show no matter how you look at it. It's rarely the same format as the rest of the tournament. It's lose one game and you are done, with the lights, cameras and audience.

You are equating the format of the whole event to changing how being in front of the larger audience with the extra lights for the cameras and all the cameras for TV into changing the significance of the show being taped or live. I guess you would feel the same way if they played the Superbowl, taped it then aired it later. It wouldn't have the same pressure. Most of the time the Olympics are tape delayed, do the participants feel any less pressure to perform just because they might not be live on TV? I doubt it. Let's face it, all of the Tour finals are taped while they are live, to use at later times, does that mean when it's replayed the pressure is less?

I'm sure if you ask Bill O'Neill, he would tell you they are the same, with the only difference being the show is aired at a later time. Let's face it, all of the Tour finals are taped while they are live, to use at later times

#141918 - 12/20/10 03:03 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
Well, this is obviously going no where when you bring Olympics...which by the way are LIVE in the country where it is hosted and the Super Bowl. It's apples and oranges now. If you think thw WSOB animal tourneys are the same pressure as an actual live tournament then that's fine by me. I can actually sense how different the WSOB mini tournaments are than a real week long tourney. I am sure the players do as well. If you can't see the difference then that is fine by me.

#141920 - 12/20/10 03:28 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
VampyreBowler Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 45/Male/Thurmont, MD
First off, it doesn't matter whether you bowl tomorrow for the title to be broacast live tomorrow or you bowl tomorrow for the title tomorrow to be broadcast 6 months from you, you are still bowling for the title tomorrow and the pressure is still on.

Secondly, the whole WSOB has more pressure than your typical PBA tour stop because not only are you qualifying for each of the 5 animal patterns, you are also qualifying for the first major of the year. Most the reg stops you are bowling on one, maybe 2 of the different patterns for the whole tourney but daily you are switching up on the pattens qualifying was each pattern each day and doing match play on 1 pattern early then doing match play on a different one later in the day.

#141921 - 12/20/10 03:40 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
I think the pressure is the same, look what happened to both bowlers are the end of the match, that's just nerves to me.

However translating it 100% to the broadcast is different because you don't have the live TV delays and they can speed up the pace via editing, if something happens like a cell phone going off or a bowler wants to start over they can just edit it out to make sure the event ends on time. You also know that your not going into extra frames because it will always end on time. It's a small but I do think part of the suspense is diminished similar to poker on TV where you know when it's the final hand by the clock, a player isn't going to escape an all in when it's 10:58, that's going to be the last hand.

#141922 - 12/20/10 03:59 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

Some events still aren't broadcast live in the country they are taking place and tape-delayed to later times, which is exactly what is going on for these "non-live" championship rounds. By bringing up the Olympics and the Superbowl I was demonstrating how your argument that because it's not being putting on the air right at the same time it is happening that it doesn't mean the pressure isn't the same. If they play the Superbowl one Sunday but then don't play it on the TV to the next it's still the same pressure off winning. That's the point I'm trying to prove about the PBA telecast. The WSOB isn't mini tournaments, if anything it's a marathon of bowling and even more pressure oriented as VampyreBowler as mentioned.

Before last season these "animal" tournaments were normal stops in a different city each week but they were bowling on the animal patterns. At one point most of the stops were on the animal patterns but just had other names for the actual tournament.

You bring up in a normal tournament of 40+ games of qualifying and so on. Well all the shows are taped on Friday and Saturday after they started bowling competitively earlier in the week, bowling multiple patterns. Most of the bowlers bowled all of the events of the WSOB. If they were skilled and lucky enough to make the show they are bowling the telecast for a PBA tour title. If you want to argue because of the format the pressure is different, then when they have introduced new events and formats the past couple of years, it was different then too, like the Marathon, Plastic Ball, Elinator and so on.

I guess in 2007 when they tape delayed the show from 1 pm to 8 pm there was no pressure for Patrick Allen because it wasn't live. I think you are reading way too much in to the "Live" part. All that means is that it is being put on the air as it happens, but the pressure is there to win if you are on the show.

#141933 - 12/20/10 07:00 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
Sevens Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 24/m/mn
Lol, I thought rob stone was hilarious. The Doctor Gu was genius. My advice? Stop trying to make everything everybody says "politically correct" by writing letters to ESPN for rob stone putting on sun glasses and coming up with a nick name(lol). I mean come on, really?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.