BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141823 - 12/19/10 07:56 PM Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!?
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
I have heard lots of garbage come out of Rob Stone's mouth the past several years, but this week he REALLY has dug himself a HUGE hole, especially with the Korean-American community, as during the telecast of the Scorpion Championship, I was watching 48-year-old Korean KPBA star Yong-Jin Gu (his idol BTW is PBA/USBC Hall Of Famer Norm Duke because he is as small as he is, and we ALL know what Duke can do with a bowling ball) tear it up from the left side of the lane, nailing the 1-2 pocket with every shot, and Rob Stone was butchering him as he was calling the shots, including trying to find out how to say his trademark "hambone" in Korean, but instead, wound up with the translation for "4-bagger", but even worse than that, he started calling him "Doctor Gu", and finally the coup-de-gras and the last straw for him, he put on a pair of shades like the ones Yong-Jin Gu was wearing, that indeed was all I can stand from Rob Stone, period. If I was Korean-American, I'd be writing some letters to the PBA about this, and here is one I saw on their site:

"Why is this an upset? There are a number of great international players out there. He taught all the others a lesson. They do not bowl the PBA all the time because of the low money given on tour which is not even enough to cover his travels. When the prize funds get higher, they will be here. The only good thing is that due to the worthless size of PBA trophies these days, like Mr. Gu won, it will be easier to pass TSA checks. Professional bowling will go international. There are a number of Asian and European great players not to mention other places too. After these next miserable 9 weeks, you will see the top American players once again going international to make a living....and for the Women? Where is this Women's series? Two tournaments and that's it? That is Pro Bowling to make a living? And one other thing - Stone and Pedersen, stop making fun of international players and their languages. Many, especially Europeans, speak at least 3-4 other languages besides their own. Gu deserves an apology for all this "Doctor Gu" "Or strange inside him" etc. Be respectful for these other players please. You two are no comedians at all."

Joe Fernandez
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#141827 - 12/19/10 09:14 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
I do not know at all were you are coming from on this. Rob liked him alot. Was chearing for him. And even defended him on air when others said he was a hack in qualifing. Sure Rob likes to play around alot and can get a little over the top but there was no disrespect at all from him.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#141828 - 12/19/10 09:38 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: slaterracing]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Originally Posted By: slaterracing
I do not know at all were you are coming from on this. Rob liked him alot. Was chearing for him. And even defended him on air when others said he was a hack in qualifing. Sure Rob likes to play around alot and can get a little over the top but there was no disrespect at all from him.

Yeah, maybe you're right about that, but I did find the "Doctor Gu" thing was a bit too much. And BTW, Yong-Jin Gu is no hack, that is for darn sure, I don't think a so-called "hack" can systematically pick apart the top players in the world (literally), like he did in this event, indeed he made history on 2 fronts, becoming one of two Koreans to ever make the show, but also winning it.

Also, I have a pair of those shiny pants like he wore on the show, I got them on eBay from JeJe Homme in South Korea about a year ago (Asian size 36/U.S. size 34), in my hopes of trying to get the same if not similar pants like Danny Wiseman has worn for TV shows the past several years, but mine are in black as opposed to the heather grey ones he was sporting, he not only had a great look (ball reaction-wise) on the lanes but also a great look with his wardrobe as well, Well done Gu, you earned these kudos from me and I am sure many Korean-Americans can look up to you as their bowling hero as well. smile

Also, he idolizes PBA/USBC Hall Of Famer Norm Duke due to him being in similar size to him, so obviously he's seen him on TV before, and I am sure many times at that.

Now with this victory, does he get a spot in the T of C, and that coveted exempt status for next season? If he does get an exemption for next season with his victory he will be a force to reckon with come 2011-12.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#141829 - 12/19/10 09:39 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
What exactly did he do that was disrespectful to the Koren community? He dubbed the guy DR. Gu, which could be because of how well he was striking. He tried to find a word in the Gu's language, and you seem to be against it because he wanted to say hambone, which you are against, in Korean. Now I don't care for the word either, but it's of no importance to me. And then you make it sound like he went and stole Gu's sunglasses and put them on, even though you say he had a pair like his. What was wrong with doing that? You just don't like Stone and are looking for any reason to bash him.

As for the guy you quoted off of the PBA site, which by what I hear is full of guys just like this guy always finding something to complain about. It's an upset because it's a bowler that most in the US know very little about, and he came up out of the first match to win the tournament. He beat only one seed that was below him.
HS:763

#141845 - 12/19/10 10:17 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
Seriously dude you need to get a life if you are bothered that Rob Stone called him Dr Gu. Should Jack Jurek be mad because Rob calls him "Jack the Ripper"? Maybe Malott should be made because Rob calls him "The Big nasty". Rob calls the action well and adds some fun to it. If that bothers you then you have other issues that you need to deal with.

#141847 - 12/19/10 10:26 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Thought Rob was fine, we were talking about the same Dr. Evil thing in chat before Rob brought it up so I guess you better group me in the same group as Rob.

Fact is that Gu is interesting and entertaining, from the silver pants to the glasses to the way he cheers for himself, he has a goofiness to him (intentional or not) that made him easy to cheer for. He was an underdog in the fact that he didn't have the pure power that everyone else had on the show.

#141859 - 12/20/10 12:09 AM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I didn't find anything direspectful, but I can say that I deeply dislike the approach they are taking to the coverage. Sure they want the coverage to be exciting enough to hold non-bowling viewers, but the programs they are producin seem to be spoofs to me. I see no prestigebeing put on bowling. I'm not asking them to be squares, but some reverence could be shoed to the sport. After watching one, I doubt I'll watch another.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#141866 - 12/20/10 01:24 AM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
One time Randy Pederson called the pins "ten little white guys" which was funny, but I'm sure he regretted it. heh

#141895 - 12/20/10 11:02 AM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
I truly believe the reason the shows are lacking a bit is because they aren't LIVE. These shows are recorded from a month ago. The show is so much better when it is live and the pressure on the bowlers is much more when it is live TV rather than taped. When Randy metions that Scott Norton has to face the pressure of "Live TV" I really discounted it because it is not live....it was taped. That is my opinion.

#141904 - 12/20/10 12:01 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
The shows being taped are done the same way as the live shows. There is no difference. Now the stuff they do over the summer is a different story, as many times part of the commentary will be done after the event is over since they break up the event over weeks when it was bowled in two days.

Also for the bowlers bowling on "Live TV," it's the same. You have the stands, the lights, and the cameras, all something they don't have during the week, and really only happens for the TV shows. Plus it's going to be shown nationally. That's where the pressure is. It's not like they rehearse what is going to happen.
HS:763

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.