BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142014 - 12/21/10 12:22 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Another reason the WSOB had more pressure is because you had two weeks to attempt to qualify for an exemption. If you had an off week of bowling you can kiss half of the PBA season (and your exemption) goodbye.

Also, rather than the normal 64 getting a paycheck, during the WSOB only the top 16 of each event got paid. That adds a huge amount of pressure because every single open means you can miss a paycheck.

When there are less games to make cuts it means every frame is huge. In a typical 36-48 game tournament a bad game you might be able to cover up, but when you only get 12 games a single bad game can really force you to push. Its like the NFL, every sunday matters, while MLB they have 162 games, they lose a few and its no big deal.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#142039 - 12/21/10 03:41 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
wklstoy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 58/M/Camano Island, WA
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
I have seen several American Pro bowlers tape up the fingers. Wes Malott does, at least on occasion and I know I've seen others. Pete Weber uses the glove for the same reason others tape those fingers up, to protect the fingers from cuts and calluses. Now I don't see too many using anything on the knuckle side of the thumb on the Tour, but have seen it done in leagues.

I use tape on both my fingers and a complete wrap on my thumb because it keeps the release consistent, and it keeps me from getting blisters. I use the Vacu Grips in my finger holes, and I have them pretty tight.

I have to say I loved watching him bowl and loved that he won because he's almost my age, and I use the same large wrist positioner in order to get at least decent revs on the ball. I'm always getting advice that it's only a "training device"; well maybe now I won't hear that so much anymore.

BTW, did anyone else notice that when he took it off for a 7-pin spare he had almost no revs at all on the ball? That's kind of how I roll my corner pin spares.

Current Avg: 199
Current Game: 266
Current Series: 669

LX16
Breakout
Hype
IQ
T-Zone

#142050 - 12/21/10 04:48 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: Sevens]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Sevens
Lol, I thought rob stone was hilarious. The Doctor Gu was genius. My advice? Stop trying to make everything everybody says "politically correct" by writing letters to ESPN for rob stone putting on sun glasses and coming up with a nick name(lol). I mean come on, really?

I agree.. Both announcers took a liking to the guy and were trying to be entertaining. They were not being racist or degrading. Just making dumb jokes.

Political correctness has ruined this country.

Book Average 220

#142053 - 12/21/10 05:05 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: J_w73]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Originally Posted By: J_w73

My nomination for quote of the year!

This is 100% accurate.

The way I look at it, its easy, don't let anything offend you. I don't care if you called me a good for nothing white guy/[censored-HS]/whatever you want, it won't bother me because I don't let it.

If we tell little kids "sticks and stones...words will never hurt me" then why can adults not live by the same ideology?

I also think its funny that almost always the people that point out so called offensive or degrading remarks/emblems/gestures are almost never associated in any way with the culture that is supposedly getting ridiculed.

Its like the Florida State Seminoles, the tribe likes the name, yet thousands of people (non indian) every year fight saying that the name is offensive to Native Americans. How would they know?
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#142090 - 12/21/10 09:44 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: wklstoy]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Originally Posted By: wklstoy
I use tape on both my fingers and a complete wrap on my thumb because it keeps the release consistent, and it keeps me from getting blisters. I use the Vacu Grips in my finger holes, and I have them pretty tight.

I have to say I loved watching him bowl and loved that he won because he's almost my age...

Yeah, Gu pwned the younger guys and he would squat down really low AND be able to stand straight up again. I'd say he's in good shape for an "old" guy. hehe (Tonight my leg felt like it was going to break off at the hip, and I'm younger than Gu.)

Could you tell me how exactly you wrap your fingers and what type of tape you use? Maybe PM me.

Oh, BTW, I had a "record" pure two-handing score tonight. Only 198, but that's pretty good for me. I was having trouble when I thought of how Gu shot up the outside of the lane, so I tried it. For me, the 2nd arrow is the extreme outside. It helped.

Edited by aoiten (12/21/10 09:47 PM)

#142169 - 12/22/10 08:35 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 42/m/ny
ya, no one bowling has a nick name.

to me GU is dr evil, no malice involved, he has a certain likeness to that character in my mind, end of story.

he came, he saw, he won.

i also made a remark that he reminded me of a typical league bowler due to some of his reactions after releasing the ball, good, bad, or indifferent, that's how i saw it.

being PC is over rated.....
working on all of them......

track 930T [15]

member of the mooseknuckles winter vl team

#142195 - 12/23/10 06:56 AM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: sk8shorty01]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
Originally Posted By: J_w73

My nomination for quote of the year!

This is 100% accurate.

The way I look at it, its easy, don't let anything offend you. I don't care if you called me a good for nothing white guy/[censored-HS]/whatever you want, it won't bother me because I don't let it.

If we tell little kids "sticks and stones...words will never hurt me" then why can adults not live by the same ideology?

I also think its funny that almost always the people that point out so called offensive or degrading remarks/emblems/gestures are almost never associated in any way with the culture that is supposedly getting ridiculed.

Its like the Florida State Seminoles, the tribe likes the name, yet thousands of people (non indian) every year fight saying that the name is offensive to Native Americans. How would they know?

I agree with a ton of that. Not enough teaching of the sticks and stones philosophy these days, I am afraid. People are taught to take offense quickly now-a-days.

I am not offended by the Seminole nick at all (yes, I am part Amerind). Chief Wahoo in Cleveland just HAS to go though. Do you understand the difference? One is respectful and the other is mocking. Context makes all the difference, sometimes.

Let's take it a step farther. Isn't it about time we got rid of the hyphen? Native-American, Irish-American, etc.,etc.?
I have heritage from North America and several locations in Europe, but >>I<< was born here. So were my parents. I am an American (period).
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#142205 - 12/23/10 09:34 AM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
sk8shorty01 Offline

6_ball_man,

Sorry for my ignorance but I am not sure what Chief Wahoo is mocking exactly? Is it because he is a cartoon indian? I just don't know enough to know why its considered so taboo but some of the others are not.

As a side note my wife is actually a blond haired, blue eyed Blackfoot/Chippewa (50% total).
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#142279 - 12/23/10 11:51 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: sk8shorty01]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
6_ball_man,

Sorry for my ignorance but I am not sure what Chief Wahoo is mocking exactly? Is it because he is a cartoon indian? I just don't know enough to know why its considered so taboo but some of the others are not.

As a side note my wife is actually a blond haired, blue eyed Blackfoot/Chippewa (50% total).

For the record, I am 1/8 Crow, but I look more Euro than Amerind. And I never go by that. It is just a fact of my life.

For one, the Cleveland club is called the "Indians." In the days WAY before political correctetude, the team's owner solicited a new team name from the media. THEY chose indians.
"Indian" is a RACE. Substitute any other race and do you see why it may be deemed offensive? They should go back to one of their previous nicks (Blues or Lakeshores). Even their current unoffical nick wouldn't be bad (the Tribe). That all has to do with the name, though.
The cartoon drawing of "Chief Wahoo" complete with one feather (I understood chiefs had earned more feathers by the time they became a chief?) looks demeaning. Perhaps I am being too sensitive, even though I have no real right to be. A silly grin on a completely red face. The Natives I have been around don't look "red" so much as brown to my eye, but that's just me and my limited experiences. We haven't quite gotten past this as a society yet, but I think it will happen in our lifetime that sports franchises and logos will no longer depict a person strictly due to their race.There must be several million options that could be invoked without offending anyone, intentionally or not. Some day, they will choose one without anyone forcing them to do it, but simply because it is the right thing to do.
[/soapbox]

Edited by 6_ball_man (12/23/10 11:56 PM)
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#142281 - 12/23/10 11:59 PM Re: Yong-Jin Gu - "Doctor Gu"?!?!? [Re: BIGHMW]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
My mother was full-blooded Japanese. My brother, 1/2 Japanese, created a character called the Geisha Monster. He would put on a kimono and a wig and act like a quite unusual 6-foot tall Geisha. My mother would laugh herself to tears. Right or wrong? Who cares? heh

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.