BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141969 - 12/21/10 01:56 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: DocLogic77]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 23/M/CA
I did some practice today and averaged 230 out of 6 games, I think I'm finally getting the hang of letting it swing from the shoulder and not grabbing it at all. I noticed sometimes I grabbed it once in a while at the top of the back swing but other then that I think I was much better today, and I didn't hang up at all.
Should I go with a smaller size on the next drilling though since this one needs about 4 pieces of tape + release tape? I think I'm going to stick with the round hole and the thumb straight though.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#141975 - 12/21/10 09:04 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Four pieces of tape is fine, your thumb might swell, and then you can take some of those pieces out, I used to have as many as 7 pieces of tape in the winter and gradually take 3 pieces out, by summer though I didn't have any tape in the hole at all, since it is winter I would stay with the size you are at.

From the pictures it looks like your span might be a little long. Do your finger nails press against the back of the finger holes? If so you should shorten your span enough to where they don't. You want your fingers to bend naturally into the holes, and not put pressure from stretching to fit the ball.

#141980 - 12/21/10 09:19 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: CoachJim]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

The ring finger looks a tiny bit short but the middle finger looks spot on to me, do I need to go even shorter? I can feel the back of my fingers maybe barely touching, but I use pretty tight inserts too, and I can kind of put my fingers in the ball after my thumb but not all the way.
One thing I did notice from yesterday was a slight numbness in the tip of my ring finger that's still there, is this because it is too short by chance?
Thanks again Coach.

#142040 - 12/21/10 03:44 PM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Take a picture of your fingers bent as tight as you can just the first and second knuckle, like you are making a fist except the fingers are straight off the palm not to the palm. Then look at your finger nails and see if the center of the nails are in line with each other, or one is pointing away from straight up and down, or both are pointed away from straight up and down.

You can post the picture so I can see. It might be your lateral finger pitch, many shops use standard <3/8" and 3/8> when you might need different angles because of how your fingers lay. That might explain the numbness. My span is shorter than yours in both fingers and I have never had a numbness issue. I have heard of people with numbness because the fingers weren't pitched properly, it might be worth checking.

One other thing if you are stretching your hand to get to the point where your fingers are in the picture then your span might be too long, but if like you said your finger nails aren't pressing the back of the holes then it is something else.

#142108 - 12/22/10 03:10 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: CoachJim]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

I was forced to hurry up and get the rest of my equipment drilled but I talked to my driller about it and he decided to go with a size larger on the finger inserts, they were really tight and he thinks that was causing the numbing, I'll keep you posted.
Now how do I go about getting my timing fixed? I was thinking starting the push away sooner would help, anything else I can try?

#142111 - 12/22/10 08:53 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Keep your timing the way it is for now and work on letting the ball swing on it's own with no help at all from you, like a dead arm. Keep the weight of the ball in your left hand in the set up, and your right hand with your fingers in the holes, is just going along for the ride. Once you get the feeling of this, shoot a video of yourself doing this from the side and from behind, and post it back.

#142114 - 12/22/10 09:01 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: CoachJim]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

Will do Coach, thanks so much for everything.
One quick question, I'm going to hit the lanes later for my sport shot league, I was curious about the back swing.. Are we supposed to lift the ball up at all in the back swing if we are starting the ball waste level in the stance? I just can't see getting a decent back swing with no muscle and starting the ball so low, I've always been curious about this.

#142207 - 12/23/10 09:47 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

In order to have the arm swing higher, you need to have the ball drop into the swing, this builds up momentum and allows the arm to swing higher in the back swing. If you grab the ball in any way, it stops the momentum of the ball and you will have to pull the ball back to get it to the back swing the way you need it.

The way I do it, I hold the weight of the ball in my left hand and let the ball roll off onto my right hand, this turns my hand in the position I want it and prevents me from grabbing it. I can hold the ball higher or lower depending on what ball speed I want, and as long as I don't help the swing at all I get consistent speed.

#142211 - 12/23/10 10:42 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: CoachJim]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

I tried holding all the weight in the other hand last night and transferring it over during the push away the only problem I had was when transferring the weight I pushed the ball out to the right a little on accident a few times. This DID make the ball feel very weightless though and I know this will improve my game a ton, it really helped me not grab it at all.
Now I just need to get my timing right and figure out what to do at the release point correctly.
I will post another video asap, thanks Coach.

#142213 - 12/23/10 10:48 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Don't worry about the release until you get the swing down, just focus on keeping your hand behind the ball and letting it just roll off your hand without doing anything to it. Doing anything can set you back in learning the free swing, you have to be able to separate muscle groups and work them individually. Many people can't bend their fingers without making a fist, or bend their wrist without bending their elbow, or bend their wrist without bending their thumb and grabbing, in the end you want to be able to put your wrist in position without grabbing or tightening your arm and killing the swing. You have to get the swing free first, then gradually add on to it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.