BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141791 - 12/19/10 02:29 PM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: CoachJim]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 23/M/CA
Okay so tape it up until it feels like I'm going to hang, relax completely, and try to throw it that way without putting anything on it until I can get that down, will do! I have a pretty consistent practice routine and don't worry about my scores, I work on one particular thing in my game for a while then move to the next.
The driller has all of my other equipment and is going to re-drill it on Monday/Tuesday so I really need to find out what I want in the rest of my equipment.
I don't think I'll need to go forward more with the pitch but about 2 more pieces of tape will make it hang on good(this is with a warmed up thumb, mine shrinks alot after I leave it in the ball for a minute). I have a pretty beat up thumb so he has me trying an oval hole in one ball and the thumb straight with a round one in the new Taboo. I did like the oval hole, but I hang a little at the top of that one.
Do you think I should move the pitch 3/8 forward anyway and go with this thumb straight with a round hole, or the oval, in my other balls?

Edited by SCDraven (12/19/10 02:37 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#141792 - 12/19/10 02:49 PM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Ha, round thumb, vs oval. Another piece of the puzzle.

Did your driller fit your thumb in a round hole based on the width of your thumb? If so, the result would be tape in front and back. So, drill the hole the thickness of your thumb from pad to nail. Then, widen the sides for your knuckle. And, remember, an oval hole is not perpendicular to your grip center line. Your thumb is more like 45 degrees.

Hold your hand like you were holding your ball, palm up. Look at your thumb. It is not facing pad to fingers. But, it is angled so it closed more towards your little finger. Everyones thumb is different, so watch out for this.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#141793 - 12/19/10 02:57 PM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Dennis, some people actually have thumbs that are round. I am one of those bowlers. Sure at the nail, it looks flat, but it's not that much wider than side to side and from the knuckle up mine is closer to round than oval.
HS:763

#141826 - 12/19/10 08:57 PM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

My thumb is smashed looking, I have a really large bulge on the sides of my thumb and regular size from the nail down. I think oval would fit me a lot better but I come out of the round so much easier and there's no play in the bottom of the hole with the thumb straight. Am I better off doing an oval hole of the correct size with a thumb straight and just getting used to it? I feel like I will hang every time but with some work I'm sure I can get used to it.
Also I should of mentioned, he measures my thumb by putting these round black insert things on and twisting around to see which one fits best, and the oval insert he just grabbed a couple and stuck my thumb in them. Is this the standard way to do it or is there a better way?

Edited by SCDraven (12/19/10 10:12 PM)

#141868 - 12/20/10 03:38 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You need to have the thumb hole shaped to fit your thumb, that can be round with tape to make up the gaps in the front and back like myself and many others, or it can be with an oval shaped hole, there is no wrong answer here, just do what feels best to you, and if you aren't sure, then try both and trust your ball driller's advice and see what happens from there and let me know and I can guide you a little, but it will be hard if I can't see your thumb or how you are holding the ball, and how it is fitting.

#141875 - 12/20/10 06:01 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: CoachJim]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

Thanks so much for your time Coach, do these pics help at all? As you can see its almost impossible to put my thumb in straight but i can straighten it the best I can in the hole. I think I may go with the oval instead of this and have the top opened just a touch or something, the oval doesn't require anything but release tape and it feels like it fits my thumb really well it just doesn't come off fast enough/hangs up a tiny bit, could it be suction in the hole even with the release tape?

Edited by SCDraven (12/20/10 06:11 AM)

#141882 - 12/20/10 09:56 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Some food for thought:
I am in the middle of playing with a double bevel thumb hole. The base of my thumb is so much fatter than the width of it at the 1st knuckle (jammed in sports many times). I have been told that a thumb fully inserted goes to the crease of the thumb where it bends at the 2nd knuckle, near the palm. In order for that to be true for me, I need what is called a double bevel hole. I've had my regular oval thumb hold made - that consists of the drill like Dennis explained; hole drilled the thickness of your thumb from pad to nail then widened to the width of my 1st knuckle. After that a 1 1/4" drill opens the top of my oval to a round hole. Again, itís on top of the oval hole and 3/8" deep. That is the only way to get my thumb in all the way to the palm crease.

Work in progress,

~ John

#141928 - 12/20/10 06:23 PM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
I'm a beginner so take anything I say with a grain of salt. But, I do know I have had serious problems with my thumb hanging up even with a proper drilling. It was because of me and not my drilling. I was trying to hook the ball and coming around the ball early causing an awkward release of the thumb. The coaches say you are muscling it. It is hard not to come around the ball early if you are muscling it through your downswing.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#141944 - 12/20/10 08:19 PM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: DocLogic77]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

Both very valid points, thank you guys!
Coming around the ball too much & too early is something I could very well be doing, I didn't consider it could cause my thumb to hang, very interesting!

#141946 - 12/20/10 08:59 PM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
It certainly did with mine. I just wonder outloud that if you have a ball with a proper drilling and still hang up...you very well could be coming around too early. I know with me it was a problem until my swing became gravity controlled.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.