BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141667 - 12/18/10 03:40 AM First video, please critique!
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 23/M/CA

I will try to get better video later, I was kind of rushed(as you can see I fouled a little lol) and had people on both sides while my fiancee was filming.
Hopefully it's good enough to critique me a little though.
Thanks in advance!

Edited by SCDraven (12/18/10 04:39 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#141673 - 12/18/10 07:12 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You are a step late with your swing, meaning the ball is not behind you on the second step, and you are still early at the line meaning you are still sliding and not stable when releasing the ball. How can this be? Simple, you are controlling the ball with your arm to the point where your swing is too slow.

This starts with the grip being such that you have to squeeze the life out of the ball to prevent it from falling off your hand. Squeezing the ball like this tightens the muscles in your arm all the way to your shoulder and prevents the arm from swinging freely.

Many times pro shops drill the ball so a beginning bowler can squeeze the life out of the ball and still get out of it, but all this does is force the bowler to squeeze the ball, it doesn't teach them to bowl properly without squeezing to hang onto the ball, in fact it leaves them no other option but to squeeze. You will have to start at your Pro Shop and have your grip checked and fixed to where you don't have to squeeze the ball to have it stay on your hand, then it will release off your hand without you having to let it go, this will allow you to just let gravity swing the ball without you having to control it, and bowl like a stiff robot.

Best of luck it is a long journey, and it starts with one step...in the door of your Pro Shop that is.

#141675 - 12/18/10 07:23 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: CoachJim]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

Thanks alot Coach, I appreciate it.
I'm getting a new ball for Christmas, do you have any recommendations for me?
Also, how tight is a thumbhole supposed to be? I went from 1/8 reverse to 0 pitch to try to squeeze less and really feel like I'm not but I believe you, I'm hanging up in the ball sometimes now with the 0 pitch even though it really feels like I'm not squeezing. When I had them put this new thumbhole in they also made it alot tighter than I'm used to but I wonder if it's still not tight enough or needs tape, I feel like I would hang up for sure with tape but maybe I need to work on getting use to it.

#141677 - 12/18/10 07:44 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Keep your thumb straight and put it in the hole, does it rub or grip in any way, or does it slide in and out freely? If it slides in and out freely, then the only thing that would cause you to hang up is you bending the thumb in the hole.

One way to develop feel for this is to learn to feel where on your thumb the ball is hanging up. If the ball is hanging/rubbing on the back of your thumb then you are bending the thumb in the hole. If it is rubbing on the sides of the thumb, then you need to have the hole opened a little, but it will also do this when you hold your thumb straight when sliding it in and out of the ball.

One other thing to look at is put your fingers in the ball and watch your thumb as it enters the hole, does it bend, or is it straight? Most people with squeezing issues are bending their thumb before they even put it in the hole, try it and see if this isn't you, if it is, keep putting your hand in the ball until you don't bend your thumb and are able to keep it straight. When you get to this point try a practice swing and see if you don't immediately grab the ball as it drops into the swing, if so you should add tape to the front pad of your thumb hole so your thumb doesn't slip. If it still slips put tape in the back of your thumb hole until it is tight enough, if it still slips then try going to 1/4" forward with your thumb and shorten your span accordingly.

#141680 - 12/18/10 08:03 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: CoachJim]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

Wow Coach,
I just realized I can't even put my thumb in the ball without bending it, although the Pro Shop here told me this was normal. When I straighten my thumb out and try to place it in the ball my nail hits the thumb hole and thumb bends on it's own. Should I take a picture?
I can almost straighten my thumb out when I get it in the hole by pressing against the back of the thumb hole but then the ball falls right off. This is with both of my balls, one with a long span and one with a proper shorter span.
Is the thumb supposed to stay against the back of the hole throughout the whole swing and release? I wonder if my span is still too long.
I'm afraid I have a lot of learning to do and I was averaging around 200 like this already, I can't wait to get this squared away.

Edited by SCDraven (12/18/10 08:28 AM)

#141738 - 12/19/10 05:51 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

Okay I think I finally got it sorted out. I had a new Taboo drilled and had a diff. Pro Shop go shorter on the span and we put a thumb hole with a "thumb straight" insert in, with release tape and 3 pieces of white tape my thumb fits perfect, not too snug but when I cup my wrist it puts just the right amount of pressure, I think. With 0 pitch my thumb still comes out of this ball really quick and I get a good amount of rev's with it. Does it sound like I'm on the right track at least? I need to figure one more thing out though, when I totally relax my arm it also relaxes my wrist and it breaks back and I try to recup it at the bottom but I think I'm doing it wrong, but if I keep it cupped and cocked throughout the swing I think I'm too mechanical and tense like you said even though I don't feel it!

#141739 - 12/19/10 06:39 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You are mechanical because you are swinging with your arm tense and not letting it swing from your shoulder.

You say this is a new drilling? Yet you use release tape and 3 pieces of white thumb tape to fit? Seems a bit too large to begin with. A loose thumb will cause you to grab and tense your arm.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#141746 - 12/19/10 08:16 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

Well we tried one size smaller with no tape and I hang up in it when I try to do my release.. Maybe I just need to get a tight fit and go back to the basics and quit trying to hook the ball until I get a good swing again? If I let my wrist break and all I can swing it without squeezing and open my hand and let it come off(with the tight fit) but then I get nothin' on the ball so I went with this because I atleast get way better ball reaction.
What do you guys think? Tight fit and throw it with nothing on it til I re-learn everything or this fit which I'm not squeezing(I hope) but is still a little loose with more cup and rev's?
Thanks again.

#141748 - 12/19/10 08:19 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
You need to learn how to keep the wrist firm yet let the arm swing. You don't need to cup the ball a lot or cock it a lot. It doesn't need to be done through the whole swing either, but you have to develop the timing to be able to get the wrist in position before the release point. That's why many bowlers just try to keep the position through the whole swing.
HS:763

#141751 - 12/19/10 08:43 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

SC, it sounds like you are on the right track, however it will still take several more re drills of the thumb to get it right, you have to figure out the feel of not squeezing and when you squeeze first, and that doesn't happen over night, at least for most people. I suspect you will not find what you are looking for until you get to 3/8" forward or more with the thumb pitch, just from what you have described with the tight thumb hanging up (because you are still squeezing it). The thumb straight is a great tool for learning when you squeeze, as soon as you do, you will feel your thumb knuckle press the back of the thumb hole and you will hang up. Next step is to put enough tape in the hole to where if you bend your thumb, you will throw it through the ceiling, this will shut off the guy in your head telling you to squeeze the ball. If you still feel the ball slip from your hand, you will need to go at least 1/4" forward with the thumb, and try again. Don't forget that for every 3/8" forward you go, you will need to shorten your span 1/8". You might also need to go to reverse pitch in the finger holes to prevent the ball from heading up in the air off your release.

You will have to divert your attention from scoring to learning to feel when you are squeezing the thumb in practice, scores don't count anyway, if you are getting pressured to score in practice then practice by yourself until you learn this. If you are still pressured to score in practice by yourself, then shut the scoreboard off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.