BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142215 - 12/23/10 11:43 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
Not trying to highjack here but based on the backswing question and Coach Jim's answer....Their is now way that guys like Fagan, Weber, Mallott have free backswings. They obviously pull the ball back with muscle....I am sure the downswing is free but not the backswing. Agree?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#142219 - 12/23/10 11:54 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: spillup24]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: spillup24
Not trying to highjack here but based on the backswing question and Coach Jim's answer....Their is now way that guys like Fagan, Weber, Mallott have free backswings. They obviously pull the ball back with muscle....I am sure the downswing is free but not the backswing. Agree?

Here you go, this explains a lot of it: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip41_files/tip41.htm

#142262 - 12/23/10 08:00 PM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: B-Hammer]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
The key is the grip fits to where the bowler doesn't have to squeeze the ball to hang onto it. This way the ball falls freely into the back swing after the push away, it builds momentum which propels the ball into the back swing and drives it higher. Opening the shoulder and bending forward at the right point in the approach (as described in Ron's Tip), increase the length of the swing, but if you squeeze the ball, or more to the point have to squeeze the ball to hang onto it, then it's all over, the ball will slow down or even stop as soon as you grip it.

#142410 - 12/27/10 08:12 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: CoachJim]
SCDraven Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 23/M/CA
Coach, no video yet unfortunately, I will try to get one tonight, but I have been working very hard on my swing and bowling *a lot* to get it right.
My speed has gone up 2 mph with little effort just by not gripping the ball, and I'm able to get my wrist in a strong position now without grabbing and sacrificing much speed because I've learned to cup without clenching, which I could never do before, I made sure I got the swing down before moving on to the wrist, like you said.
What's better? Cupping throughout the swing if it's more consistent, or should I focus on relaxed til the bottom and trying to time the cup/uncup?
Also it seems like my timing is getting closer to being better on it's own without me doing anything, not to sure without a video though.
I will update later, thanks again!

#142482 - 12/28/10 09:07 AM Re: First video, please critique! [Re: SCDraven]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I suspected your timing would improve as your swing improved that's why I suggested you not work on timing first.

There is nothing wrong with either cupping from the start or getting into a cupped position after the ball falls from the top of the back swing like many of the pros do. There is advantages in both. The advantage of staying cupped is you will get a heavier roll on the ball that will assist you in playing heavy and long oil patterns, and when playing deep inside.

The advantage of cupping in the down swing is it increases speed and revs without forcing the swing as long as you let the ball fall from the top of the back swing before initiating the wrist cupping. This technique is good for just about every other type of lane condition except long and heavy. So if you can learn to do both you will be hard to beat.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - Today at 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.