BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141688 - 12/18/10 09:32 AM Re: Don't angle enough or ...? [Re: CoachJim]
spdarr Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 44/M/Malaysia
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
To hit the break point simply close your eyes at the top of the back swing and don't open them until after the ball is on it's way down the lane. Closing your eyes will shut off the control freak in the back of your head who is turning your survival instincts against you, and making you afraid of the gutter and not hooking the ball back to the pocket enough.

I've never tried closing my eyes, but will try to do that. I have a bad knee, but still trying to come close to the ground, and avoid bend over the waist... but very difficult.

This is a practice session. I do play around 10-13 board during competition but would like to play the 17th when needed. I felt the break-point so far away to the right and subconciously my hand stop trowing the ball out. No problem when throwing the 10th pin for spare though..

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#141689 - 12/18/10 10:03 AM Re: Don't angle enough or ...? [Re: spdarr]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
This is a practice session. I do play around 10-13 board during competition but would like to play the 17th when needed. I felt the break-point so far away to the right and subconciously my hand stop trowing the ball out.

ahh, now that makes sense. Well, if you want practice try this....

Get to your comfortable shot, the one where you are striking. Now move two and two to the left, two with your target and two with your feet. But target about 1 foot or so closer to you, below the arrows. Try that until you find a targetting depth that gets you strikes. Throw a double and repeat the move, two and two inside, again brining your target closer to yourself until you are a striking. Double, repeat.

If you are going to move inside when the shot is not really there, then you have to alter other things like rotation, ball speed and breakpoint. This is one way to do it, without fiddling with your ball speed or hand position. And if you learn this, it will become a very valuable tool in your arsenal.

Now, once you have gotten as far inside as you want, reverse the process and go back to your original comfort zone. But don't stop, now go two and two outside, but extend your primary target down the lane until you are striking. Get a double. Repeat process.

#141693 - 12/18/10 10:50 AM Re: Don't angle enough or ...? [Re: Atochabsh]
spdarr Offline
Junior Master

Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Well, if you want practice try this....

Get to your comfortable shot, the one where you are striking. Now move two and two to the left, two with your target and two with your feet. But target about 1 foot or so closer to you, below the arrows. Try that until you find a targetting depth that gets you strikes. Throw a double and repeat the move, two and two inside, again brining your target closer to yourself until you are a striking. Double, repeat.

If you are going to move inside when the shot is not really there, then you have to alter other things like rotation, ball speed and breakpoint. This is one way to do it, without fiddling with your ball speed or hand position. And if you learn this, it will become a very valuable tool in your arsenal.

Now, once you have gotten as far inside as you want, reverse the process and go back to your original comfort zone. But don't stop, now go two and two outside, but extend your primary target down the lane until you are striking. Get a double. Repeat process.

Thanks coach. I'll do that. Hopefully I'm going somewhere =)

#141695 - 12/18/10 11:17 AM Re: Don't angle enough or ...? [Re: spdarr]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Sometimes it's just hard almost impossible to hit pocket on a condition when playing deep no matter what you do, but you can still practice letting the ball get out to break point. When practicing the scores are meaningless, so who cares if you are striking. The point is to get your muscle memory going and to trust the ball to get out to the break. Then when the lanes allow or need that type of shot, you can get the ball to the break point and let it do it's work from there. That means trusting the ball will come back, and the right ball will be needed.
HS:763

#141698 - 12/18/10 12:40 PM Re: Don't angle enough or ...? [Re: spdarr]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: spdarr
Originally Posted By: trekguy
Well, you're playing the center of the lane with little to no hook... that's not going to result in much angle to the pocket. Move your feet 10 boards right, and target 2nd arrow and see where that goes.

I agree... but that wasn't my intention. I intentionally want to play deeper, but couldn't send the ball far right.

Alright, I was confused because your initial post was about angle, and leaving the 10-pin.

As far as hitting the 8 board break point, that is a simple matter of lining yourself up, and hiting your target at the arrows. Geometry. When my kids are practicing, there is one two-word phrase that is not allowed... "I can't". Do it. Pick a spot on the approach, hit an arrow, where does it go? Adjust. I've had kids afraid of the gutter... I have them stand on 40, and hit between 2nd and 3rd arrow. Yep, goes right in the gutter. And you know what? They survived. No one got hurt, etc. When you practice, play the whole lane. You should be able to hit the pocket from 1st arrow all the way to inside of 4th. Granted, the lanes will not be conducive to all shots, but you will get used to making shots out of your old comfort zone. Outside or inside, if you don't practice it, it will never be there for you to use when you need it.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#141723 - 12/18/10 10:21 PM Re: Don't angle enough or ...? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
spdarr Offline
Junior Master

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
Sometimes it's just hard almost impossible to hit pocket on a condition when playing deep no matter what you do, but you can still practice letting the ball get out to break point. When practicing the scores are meaningless, so who cares if you are striking. The point is to get your muscle memory going and to trust the ball to get out to the break. Then when the lanes allow or need that type of shot, you can get the ball to the break point and let it do it's work from there. That means trusting the ball will come back, and the right ball will be needed.

In general most lanes are quit dry here. That's why I'd like to be able to play deep. It baffles me why I can't pushed the ball far towards the gutter even during practice sessions. The only way I can do that at the moment is by throwing faster. I need to a lot of trusting the ball like you said.

Originally Posted By: trekguy
When you practice, play the whole lane. You should be able to hit the pocket from 1st arrow all the way to inside of 4th. Granted, the lanes will not be conducive to all shots, but you will get used to making shots out of your old comfort zone. Outside or inside, if you don't practice it, it will never be there for you to use when you need it.

That's what I was doing. When seeing the youngsters play here with the revs and hooks, I felt really bad. At this age, most of my friends have already "stopped" learning. You just played the same arrow every where every time... sometimes you might get lucky. I need to try something new, otherwise things become boring. If this is in a football game, I guess I'm in the 4th qrter and 3 TDs behind... not much hope but still PLAUSIBLE =)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 08/06/20 06:48 AM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 07/18/20 08:37 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.