BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141419 - 12/15/10 01:45 PM Re: Creating revs?!?!?!?! [Re: Vini]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Oklahoma
NICE balance Vini! My shot is similar, but yours is much better. I roll the ball about that same speed, 10-12 mph (at least that's what I calculate just by count from release to the pins). Speed is little understood in this sport it seems. You can definitely get strikes with a solid release like yours. Speed is helpful sometimes, like when the lanes are dry (gets the ball past the heads faster), but it isn't a requirement for doing well at bowling.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#141528 - 12/16/10 07:22 PM Re: Creating revs?!?!?!?! [Re: jburt21]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
I was able to get a lot more revs with a lot less effort when I started working on the underhand football throw analogy or turning the door [censored].
I have found that cocking or cupping really has nothing to do with it. I focus on turning the ball from the middle.
It used to be, to get revs you would c0ck and cup your wrist , get under the ball , come around the side and up on the ball..
With this you have a large distance to travel. With turning the ball from the middle you can move a distance of a few inches(7 oclock to 4 oclock) and translate that into a ton of revs.

Now I focus on getting my fingers to the inside of the swing by focusing on getting my index finger behind the ball and pointing down and leading with my pinky or left side of my hand some.
At the bottom of the swing I keep my wrist firm and give the ball a quick "under hand football toss release" as I follow through.
Timing and balance is also very important like stated earlier.
This will give you the leverage to create all the revs.

It takes a while to get it a fluid part of your swing.. and also doing it at the right time so you aren't spinning the ball or just coming straight up the back of the ball and not imparting any side rotation.

Check out these slow mo Wes Mallot vids. I don't see any cupping and uncupping at the bottom.. In fact his wrist looks pretty straight. I see fingers on the inside of the ball, Wrist getting firm at the bottom. and then turing the ball from the middle.
His fingers are barely below the equator of the ball, if at all.
Mallot doesn't have the most revs but I think anyone would be happy to do what he does to a ball.

Book Average 220

#141532 - 12/16/10 07:45 PM Re: Creating revs?!?!?!?! [Re: jburt21]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
The first video you can't really see Wes's release that well since it's from the opposite side of him.

The second one he doesn't cup that much, but does co ck it a little to get around the ball some. I think this was after he changed his release a little to get the ball down a little smoother.

The last one he cups and co cks the wrist prior to the release.

The first video the ball comes off of the hand smoother while the other two you can also see the ball almost make contact with the lane but as he releases the ball it goes up.

What makes the revs is how long the fingers stay in and come up the ball after the thumb clears. When I hear stay under the ball, I think the fingers below the equator, not the hand completely underneath the ball. The cupping and co cking when done correctly, allows the fingers to stay in the ball longer. Here are a couple of videos, the first is Chris Barnes and the second Robert Smith. In Robert Smith's video you need to go to about the 1 minute mark to get a real good look in slow motion.

HS:763

#141542 - 12/16/10 10:12 PM Re: Creating revs?!?!?!?! [Re: jburt21]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: jab2010
so the revolutions are created by the movement of the wrist uncupping at the point of release correct?

Yes, and what Erin says as well...knee bend and shoulders back will get your hand in the proper position. I found at first, when I converted to this type of release, that I could get revs easy enough, but was inconsistent as far as rotation. That means, I would do everything right, but get end-over-end roll and the ball would go basically straight. Then I would over-rotate,which defeats the unwrapping motion. First, concentrate your practice on the cup/uncup motion....once you get to the point where the unwrapping motion feels normal and natural (this will take a while) then you can start to adjust the amount of rotation you apply. You'll find it takes less (turn) than you would think.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#141559 - 12/17/10 02:06 AM Re: Creating revs?!?!?!?! [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio

My point is that he isn't all cupped and cocked at the start of his approach like alot of people do when they get their hand into all sorts of cockeyed positions.
On the down swing his wrist is pretty straight.. just firm.

Book Average 220

#141563 - 12/17/10 05:05 AM Re: Creating revs?!?!?!?! [Re: J_w73]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: J_w73
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio

My point is that he isn't all cupped and cocked at the start of his approach like alot of people do when they get their hand into all sorts of cockeyed positions.
On the down swing his wrist is pretty straight.. just firm.

Malott and other pros are good enough to wait til the end to load and unload.... they're just that good at it. They can swing the ball higher and easier with the non-cupped wrist position, then load and unload it all in one smooth motion. I've tried doing it that way... it just seems like everthing happens so fast at the end, and it throws off the timing of the release, and I end up being way late.

Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#141604 - 12/17/10 01:33 PM Re: Creating revs?!?!?!?! [Re: jburt21]
jburt21 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/OH/USA
glad i got a good thread going this is great information and visuals

Avg: 202
HG: 289
HS: 744

In the bag:

Storm Mainframe
Storm Natural Pearl polished
Storm Lucid
Ebonite Mission 2.0 Polished

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.