BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#140931 - 12/09/10 12:42 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: jwill]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I can see what Ebonite is saying. It can be translated into driving in snow. A tire with a nice rugged off-road pattern works well in snow until it fills up the tread pattern and it looses a lot of it's initial traction. Clean them out and it gets traction again. Now have tire studs added or put chains on and it would be like a particle ball and want to keep rolling.
HS:763

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#140932 - 12/09/10 12:57 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
I can see what Ebonite is saying. It can be translated into driving in snow. A tire with a nice rugged off-road pattern works well in snow until it fills up the tread pattern and it looses a lot of it's initial traction. Clean them out and it gets traction again. Now have tire studs added or put chains on and it would be like a particle ball and want to keep rolling.

Good analogy Cal!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#140934 - 12/09/10 01:18 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: jwill]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Oklahoma
I think that when you bake a ball, a lot of what you are getting out of the coverstock is the resin binder. If it isn't good to leave a ball in a hot car, I don't see how it is good to bake a ball. Just immerse the ball in a warm water bath with a good cleaning agent and be careful not to get water in the finger holes. Instead of taking a 4000 finish down to an aggressive finish like 500 on a ball like this, is playing a straighter line to the pocket perhaps a better strategy if you find that the lane is too oily for your style of game?

Edited by Rollin' G (12/09/10 01:19 PM)

#140936 - 12/09/10 02:18 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: Rollin' G]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

Originally Posted By: Rollin' G
I think that when you bake a ball, a lot of what you are getting out of the coverstock is the resin binder. If it isn't good to leave a ball in a hot car, I don't see how it is good to bake a ball. Just immerse the ball in a warm water bath with a good cleaning agent and be careful not to get water in the finger holes.

It's about being able to control the heat. You can't do this is a car. The Revivor ovens are designed to control the heat. They have a temperature control [censored], a fan to circulate the air so it doesn't only hit on one side of the ball as well as rollers to keep the ball turning. Plus there hasn't been a standard of what is and isn't good for a ball to extract oil. Brunswick did a study with their equipment several years ago saying that you can bake a ball without issue, while other companies have come out against it.

#140940 - 12/09/10 03:12 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Interesting topic, no doubt. I'm more hands on about tuning my own gear whenever possible, but this is definitely a Pro Shop job. If baking is offered at a reasonable price, I could see doing that with a resurface job to bring a ball back---beats putting a ball up on the shelf! After reading this thread, I don't think I'm inclined to get one of the C-system balls. I do love my other Brunswick gear though!

#140946 - 12/09/10 03:57 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: jwill]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I use the hot water bath method, but I do not worry about getting any water in the holes.

The only worry with that is any tape you have will gum up so make sure you remove the tape first.

I have given my equipment probably 20 baths in the last year and have never had an issue with water in the holes causing any sort of problem so I assume it is completely safe.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#140947 - 12/09/10 04:03 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: jwill]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

So a little water in the finger holes can be OK? I am always paranoid that I'll water log the ball if it absorbs any of that. Good to know there is some margin for error.

#140949 - 12/09/10 04:14 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: jwill]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Jax, FL
Well that explains why my Slate Blue Quantum never had any oil in it when I got it baked. I hate the fact that I sold it. Don't get me wrong Rollin', the 3.5 has done things for me that other balls haven't. My series and game highs are because of it. It just may be a little more high maintenance than others, but I think it's worth it,(imo)since the ball pays its self off .

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#140950 - 12/09/10 04:16 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: jwill]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

The coverstock is absorbing water like it would oil, so chances are it's getting through the coverstock and into the filler material since it's literally sitting in a body of water. Just let the ball sit for a few days before use and it will dry out.

#140978 - 12/09/10 11:50 PM Re: My Balls are oily...AGAIN!!! [Re: jwill]
PSBA10 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 58/M/Butler, Pennsylvania
The other thing to consider about the hot water bath vs the rejuvinator is that the water actually replaces the oil in the coverstock where the rejuvenator relies solely on capillary action to remove the oil.

Oil is lighter than water and will float. As the water penetrates the coverstock, the oil is "lifted" out of the ball and will float away. The water itself will evaporate out of the coverstock leaving it clean. The process is very effective and efficient.
HG 290 Series 781 Average 198

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.