BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14057 - 10/28/05 10:37 PM Terminology
mrsuthern Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 30/m/NC/ Right handed
Ok, first off if I didn't see it I apologize but it's hard to read through bloodshot eyes. I was trying to find somewhere that would give anyone not up to speed an idea about lingo.
I have a decent game w/ room for improvements. Everywhere I look I see lingo that wasn't around the last time I got to enjoy the sport. Whats the difference between a Cranker and a Stroker? Accurate description of Arc and Hook is there a difference? I found myself trying to explain to someone the line I have and gave up because I have no clue as to all the descriptive terminology. Like RG, rev, Flare diff. , and god knows when I was bored enough to sit and count boards. Which I know would probly help in decrptions or improvements but where my count start is from my originating target. If I am aiming for second arrow right of center I can tell you how many boards I was off...relatively low number but couldn't tell you that it is Board "*". Would someone shed light on this for me and probly others out there trying to figure all this out too? PLEAAAAASSSSEEEE? help

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#14058 - 10/28/05 10:46 PM Re: Terminology
mrsuthern Offline
Bracket Donor

Okay after some visine I have found where someone asked part of the same questions.Thanks "Mutilated1" for asking and to those who answered

http://www.bowlingfans.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/25/949.html

But there are still other, what I would assume, common questions.

#14059 - 10/28/05 11:04 PM Re: Terminology
mrsuthern Offline
Bracket Donor

ok I am having the conversation with myself in relatively short time...LOL....tis ok it's usually the cars I have to talk to. idea I just found out that I have a "Stroker/Tweener" line....... not how I would have described it but if it gets the point acrossed-now I know.

#14060 - 10/29/05 03:13 AM Re: Terminology
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
mrsuthern

If you think you are being precise as is, statis quo, then you need to jump up your game to the next level. Because you DO need to know what board you stand on, you DO need to know what board you are aiming for (primary target) and you DO need to know exactly how much you missed that board left or right on any give shot.

It all starts with knowing where your feet are. Because if your feet are in the right place (for you) then everything else falls into form much easier.

So.....do you know where you put your feet every time you step up upon the approach? If your feet are in the right place, you will strike with the most margin for error.

Erin

#14061 - 10/29/05 06:47 PM Re: Terminology
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 57/male/New Zealand. Right han...
I have to agree with Atochabsh. Until I got to this site, I had a reasonable idea of where I was standing and where I was aiming.. my game was solid, but not anything to write home about. Once I took particular care to stand in the same place and aim at the same place, my game improved quickly. When lane conditions change, I now know just how far to move from my original position and how far to shift my target and that has been critical to keeping a good scoring game going strong right through the night instead of it falling off like it used to do. I'm not perfect at it, by any means, but I am a whole lot better than I was and my average has jumped up quite a bit as a result.

#14062 - 10/29/05 09:49 PM Re: Terminology
mrsuthern Offline
Bracket Donor

Oh I definately agree. My resoning in my head though just usually simplifies things for myself. I am working with an experienced gentleman at the house I bowl. I know exactly where my feet are at the beginning of the approach but I did have to get someone to spot me for where I ended up. Which is why I had to change my game a bit from 15yrs ago. Seems now I have a left drift going from start to finish. I new I was wondering I just needed someone to point out how much. They can tell me from what board # to the other board number. For my way of thinking "Simple Man" It's easier for me to start with desired target then count one direction or another. I am a mechanic, I deal with #'s all day long so when I get a chance to simplify it, I jump on it. I have been getting alot of info on here it is an awesome site. I spend alot of time reading and browsing. I even drew a chart to keep up with the references of board #'s. Also though to keep the comparison simpler for myself I know my mark and I just count from that mark in either direction. I generally work with my ball speed instead of moving my target unless things get really bad. I try new things every practice to see what I can work with and what I can't. I have always had the "exception to the rule" characteristics even in my Pool game. Guess I am just wired different.
Don't get me wrong, ie. throttling me thinking I am dismissing what you say, I try new ideas and approaches to get better. Tis why I come here to get other ideas and approaches to the game.

#14063 - 10/30/05 12:56 AM Re: Terminology
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I've always found that trying to stay in one spot on the lane and just throwing the ball faster and faster makes it hard to repeat shots. At some point you will really begin to muscle the ball and that makes it very hard to repeat shots. I like to use the oil line and follow it until I can't follow it anymore. I try to keep the speed constant whenever possible. I find it adds versatility to your game to be able to play all parts of the lane instead of being married to the second arrow lets say. Don't be afraid to move your feet and target.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#14064 - 10/30/05 08:03 AM Re: Terminology
mrsuthern Offline
Bracket Donor

I am working on that during miscellaneous practices. LOL problem I find with myself though, and I am trying desperately to get out of. I can move to the center of the lane and my brain still has me throwing to my same mark. If I was able to crank the ball this would be no problem. LOL but no such luck there. Not only that but when I arrive each nigt early for league play I spend the first 30 mins watching them oil the lanes. Break down of the conditions really doesn't occur that quickly at this house....during league play. That and I have yet to have to get to throw the ball harder, so far it's usually I have to slow it down a tad. I am sure this will all change once I get the new ball.

#14065 - 11/01/05 12:56 AM Re: Terminology
mrsuthern Offline
Bracket Donor

Well. chalked up my second consistant 600 series tonight....moving right along. thumbsup

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.