BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#139858 - 11/24/10 06:16 PM Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices...
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
I have been using a wrist device, the big robo arm ones, for about five months now. Had a wrist issue in summer league that came back after several years of being pain free. Using the devices definitely helped, and I didnt worry about my wrist anymore.

Today i decided to bowl a few games practice wise, without the device and my wrist actually felt stronger than before, which i would have thought would be the opposite. It could be just the freer feel of it like taking ankle weights off or something.

Anyhow, what i did notice is my wrist was able to keep position better than i was able to prior to using it. I also notice that now I could tell when I had a good release from the feeling on my fingertips vs before when I didn't really notice that.

Now im not saying it was the greatest practice session ever, but I have to say the wrist device helped me to "straighten" out some errors I guess I had been making.

Now I might try going a game or two without it in League. Not sure if Ill do the whole session as I dont want to fatigue and find myself reeling again. Our league is a bit more fast paced.

Any of you gone from not using one, to using it for a substantial time (5-6 months for me was substantial) to back to not using one? What did you notice and how long before you really could go whole league session without it. Remember, I started because of weak wrist that i tweaked and hurt, but now it seems fine.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#139862 - 11/24/10 07:02 PM Re: Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices... [Re: evilash71]
Murdershaw Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/Murrieta, CA
I had a friend that used the gadget for a long time. I was having him use it because he literally could not keep his wrist from breaking. after a good 6 to 8 months we started experimenting with taking it off, and he could keep his wrist strait. I think such devices train your muscles where to be at certain parts of the swing and release. I believe that once you muscles know whats correct, they begin to perform with a little more ease. muscle memory.

#139880 - 11/24/10 11:41 PM Re: Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices... [Re: Murdershaw]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
I actually have been considering one just for that purpose to help train my wrist, currently I bend my arm at my elbow on my backswing I have tried a ton of things to stop it but it comes back all the time.

several people have suggested that my wrist may be to weak and I am trying to help it with my arm. Any suggestions for a decent one?
Mutant Cell

#139884 - 11/25/10 12:19 AM Re: Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices... [Re: evilash71]
Raydee Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: NY
I have weak wrists and use mine all the time. I can't seem to bowl without it.

#139888 - 11/25/10 12:48 AM Re: Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices... [Re: Rocket]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
As far as suggestions I tried a few. The one I ended up with that I stand by now is the VISE brand devices. I have the V1 and my wife has the V2. The V1 has the little extra support up over the fingers for more revs where as the V2 is shorter and for more of a medium rev. Basically the difference was that on the V2-shorter one, the most cupped position possible out of four positions is 3rd on the V1. So there is one extra setting for even more cupping(more revs).

I tried others but in the end my wife had the VISE and I just kept noticing how well made it was, and so I got me one.

The only drag is you can really only get them through pro shops or ebay not really online much. But my wife bought one through EBAY and it's turned out great. I got mine at Pro Shop.

Another thing I really liked about the VISE ones is the 1st setting is for a "broken back wrist," like when you shoot spares and it does break back about as much as you would without one so that was great.

I still plan on using mine regularly for a while and keeping it handy in case i feel that sharp pain ever come back.

For me, it was the best thing I had done. My wrist was bruised up and sore and this old injury kept creeping in. I found myself breaking back my wrist on the downswing which is bad.

The only thing I warn against is how well they work. It makes it difficult to go back to not using it because you get so used to it.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#139900 - 11/25/10 04:37 AM Re: Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices... [Re: evilash71]
Norm3v Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34 M NJ US
I just got a Brunswick Powrkoil a couple of weeks ago, and wow, best wrist device I've tried by far. I have a Robbies Revs 3, Mongoose Lifter, and Storm Xtra Grip Plus and it blows them out of the water (I even tried a Storm Gadget once and this blows that away too). The Robbys's is good, but it doesn't have enough adjustments and I'm stuck with the wrong wrist positions. I was struggling with the Robbys's because I needed a wrist position between two of the notches and could get the right reaction. Also, the Brunswick doesn't feel as much like a robo arm like the others so I actually feel like I'M bowling, not Robocop. I also had my span shortened by 1/16 which makes any wrist device (except the Mongoose which doesn't need a span shortening) feel more natural and less stressful on the wrist and hand.

I've never tried a Moro Pro Release, but would love to. However, I think I've found the right device and will stick with it as long as I have wrist issues.

Evil, great to hear that you have successfully gotten off of the wrist support so far. I grew up never wearing one until this past winter after I developed wrist issues, so I already knew how to throw normally so hopefully I can go back to throwing normal sometime in the near future. Just remember, there is nothing wrong with wearing a wrist device, and ignore those that put you down for it. No reason to hurt yourself because other people dont understand the importance of wearing one.
- Lucid
- Tropical Heat Pearl (Red/Blue)

High Game: 300 (2)
High Series: 758
Average: 210

#139907 - 11/25/10 07:58 AM Re: Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices... [Re: Norm3v]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Norm you hit the nail on the head that is the one thing that has kept me from getting one. There is one guy in our league that wears one and he scores very well, and all I hear is take off the robot arm and he stinks. Or thats what ruins our sport automatic ball revers, So I have shyed away from them.

I have put in a ton of practice hours and the one thing so far that has not changed a lot is my release. I can throw a back up ball but staying under the ball for my normal release just seems almost impossible. At one practice I tried suit caseing the ball I forget why and I couldnt do that I really bent my arm trying it.
Mutant Cell

#139909 - 11/25/10 08:57 AM Re: Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices... [Re: evilash71]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I carry a Pro Release and a Robbys in my bag. I don't use them always. But, know exactly when each should come out and when to strap them on.

The Pro Release is a training device for me. When I notice my wrist slackening, I strap it on. It puts me back into a strong release position. Sometimes, I keep it on. Others, I take it off. Just depends on the response of my wrist at the time.

The Robbys really doesn't do much to help. But, it is a reminder to keep my wrist cupped. It has become a comfort feel that I know I am releasing correctly.

For the most part, I don't use either. But, never hesitate to strap one on when needed.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#139919 - 11/25/10 12:03 PM Re: Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices... [Re: evilash71]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
without causing an uproar, I tend to agree with those that say they are an artificial aid. I know Erin uses them and many women use them. I know that many older bowlers also use them. My opinion is that they give you revs that you wouldn't have without them. As a training aid, I think it works well. There are many training aids in golf. They aren't allowed when your playing golf though.

Just my two cents. I'm not passionate about the subject. It's allowed, so be it. If there was a vote and I had a vote, I would vote to ban them. But I don't spend any time thinking about it. Just my opinion.

Reign of Fire
Marvel Pearl
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#139927 - 11/25/10 02:05 PM Re: Some thoughts and questions on wrist devices... [Re: evilash71]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
If the goal is to develop a release like Wes Mallots it seems like a wrist device would hinder that progress?

Unless the device has some kind of hinge it looks like you couldn't create that kind of wrist motion?

*Thanks for the image spr3wr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

It's never too early for a good deal!
Shop Amazon - Countdown to Black Friday

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Body Moving Left
by SteveH - Yesterday at 05:07 PM
Critical Care Kitty needs your help
by MiggityMatt - Yesterday at 02:40 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10/29/14 10:36 PM
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:05 PM
Fall '14 Week 7 virtual league results
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:02 PM
Sore wrist.
by spr3wr - 10/28/14 04:14 PM
Storm Crux Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 10/28/14 02:42 AM
2014 WTBA World Men's Championships
by Richie V. - 10/26/14 09:21 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/26/14 11:34 AM
Rough Comparisons of Storm & Roto Grip balls
by SteveH - 10/25/14 04:33 PM
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - 10/24/14 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - 10/24/14 03:37 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.