BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137219 - 10/13/10 08:51 AM Cell Pearl is dead
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Well, I have been noticing that my Cell Pearl is losing its back end for a couple of months. I tried to extract oil. And had it refinished. But, I think it has lived its life.

This was a case where I thought it was going. Then, it would come back for a good game. Then, it would go away again.

I'm not used to balls just dying. But, this one has. It will be replaced tonight and shelved with my other older balls.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#137222 - 10/13/10 10:11 AM Re: Cell Pearl is dead [Re: Dennis Michael]
Kappasheno Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/NY
I don't want to believe it but, my Cell Pearl really acted funny last night. I hope it's not dead. No Strikes Whatsoever. I just resurfaced to 2000 grit. I'm going to try 4000 grit for next week. If it doesn't work, I'm going to be REALLY sad.

#138112 - 10/26/10 08:30 AM Re: Cell Pearl is dead [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I have to be fair and up front. I have a replacement on order for my Cell Pearl.

Sunday, I used it in practice. And, one of my practice Buds suggested that I try another refinish on this ball. So, I baked it. Used a 500 grit pad, then a 2000. Finally, I polished it.

I took it to Monday league, where I see the lightest oil all week, out of the 3 houses I bowl at. I have been trying to make my other balls work here, with moderate success. So, this was this balls final attempt.

It didn't have a snap any more, but did have a strong loping hook. Started on 27. Rolled over 13, out to 5. And, found a nice line. It hit pretty hard. It carried light hits and stayed on that line all night. I never had to move, as I had no competition for this line. Straight ballers, and outside straight ups dominated our pair.

I was in the pocket all night with this ball, and it carried well. Because it lost its snap, I never went high for a split, but did miss a 10pin and chopped another for 2 opens. However, I averaged 8 strikes a game and shot a 714 series, with games of 232-226-256.

What impressed me the most was that I was in the finals for the brackets. And, in my 5th frame, I saw another bowler post a 241. So, that was my target to beat. And, I did it, winning a few shekels.

So, I guess this is really a house specific, light oil ball. It worked better then my stronger balls in this house.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#138119 - 10/26/10 10:34 AM Re: Cell Pearl is dead [Re: Dennis Michael]
BackInTheGame Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 33/m/mn
How many games do you guys have on your Cell Pearls?

Mine has roughly 100 games. I resurfaced it once and have never done any kind of oil extraction. I've played with a few different surfaces but found that 1000 + polish works very well for me. I get nice length, a controllable move off the spot, and great continuation through the deck. I have yet to see any signs of death. A teammate of mine has an original cell with over 400 games on it, and it is just now starting to lose some reaction.

#138130 - 10/26/10 02:49 PM Re: Cell Pearl is dead [Re: Dennis Michael]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Storm and Roto balls have a pretty distinct death, and in most cases, they can be revived. I have a Hook Again chamber that works really well, and I've bled the oil out of the shells of many Storm balls with a Rejuvenator over. Resurfacing them should be done according to their recommendations, which is to start with an Abralon pad of 360-500 grit for 15 seconds on all 4 sides, then go to the final grit for their recommended time. If you're polishing the ball, after your initial sanding with the rough grit, either go straight to the polish, or use a grey scotch brite pad before the polish.
In my experience, Storm/Roto equipment soaks up a lot of oil very quickly, so make sure you clean them after each use.
The Hook Again chamber also works well- I brought a few balls back from the grave with it, and believe in it. I leave it in the chamber for 2 days (package says 24 hours), and clean it up really well. Squeaks like a freshly washed dish.

Bowl up a Storm!

#138183 - 10/27/10 02:24 PM Re: Cell Pearl is dead [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I have upwards of 750 games and I still haven't had any issues with my Cell Pearl. Sure its not the insanely snappy aggressive ball that it was right out of the box but it still accomplishes what it is supposed to do and that is to get to the break point and then use up all its energy on the spot.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#139853 - 11/24/10 03:53 PM Re: Cell Pearl is dead [Re: Dennis Michael]
Murdershaw Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/Murrieta, CA
as far as bowling balls dying goes, I find that the initial reaction can never be brought back, but having an old oil saturated ball is good for when the condition calls for it. I have tried several techniques for oil extracting, resurfacing, and different surfaces, and what I discovered is that it all depends on the ball. some take it well and some dont. one more thing I've found is that the layout may be responsible for a ball dying faster. if a ball is layed out very aggressive, it will seem to die faster. I've drilled up about 7 Storm Reigns and the aggressive layout balls seem to die quick and definite, and the weak layouts seem to die slowly. just my take on it.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.