BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138680 - 11/07/10 01:16 AM Ebonite Mission
Pattayabowler Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 54/M/USA/THAILAND
Hi All,

I have a question for all of you who have had any experience with the Ebonite Mission and/or are knowledgeable of ball layouts. I traded one of my bowling balls that I haven't used for some time to a friend of mine for his Ebonite Mission. I am at present having it plugged and hope to get in drilled either tomorrow or the following day.

The house that I bowl in usually puts down a medium volume of oil, occasionally medium heavy on league nights, but not very heavy in the middle and ranging from 39 to 41 feet. I've read that the Mission has a pretty strong midlane read.

My Mission has a 3 inch Pin to CG and inline with Mass Bias. I generally prefer 3 1/2 to 4 inch pins for pin up drillings unless I am drilling for a smooth arc or wish to center the pin just above the bridge. For reference, I have both an Invasion and Mutant Cell drilled 4 inches Pin to PAP with the pin being just above the ring finger. For the most part, both of these balls are unusable, burning up/rolling out providing little hook at the breakpoint. I don't want the Mission to provide the same results.

A couple of my favorite asymmetric drillings are as follows:

Evil Seige - pin down 45 x 4 1/2 x 70 for Max Hook & Arc
Third Dimension (Hybrid Cover) - pin down 60 x 4 1/2 or 5 x 70 for mid-lane hook & back-end.

For longer Pins, I like to use pin up 45 x 4 1/2 or 5 x 30 drillings; I have this drilling on my Reign and Wild Thing.

Bottom line, I would like some suggestions as how to drill this balls to clear the heads cleanly, obtain a little midlane read with a strong continuous turn without losing too much energy and rolling out. I guess I would say that I don't necessarily want a smooth controlled are nor a skid/flip reaction, but somewhere in between, midlane control with a smooth, but strong turn that will carry to the pocket; not asking for much huh! (lol). I am a borderline low to med track bowler, PAP 4 1/2 over 3/4 up with ball speed averaging around 18.

I would appreciate your recommendations.

Pattayabowler
Hammer - Black Widow Pearl - Medium
Hammer - Emerald Vibe - Dry to Light
Ebonite - Maxim - Spare

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#138848 - 11/09/10 02:07 AM Re: Ebonite Mission [Re: Pattayabowler]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
I've only had my mission for about a month and a half now but after playing around with the surface and lines quite a lot, I think I have a little bit of experience with it now.

It definitely does need oil, that's obvious. I'm fairly sure it's little more playable on drier conditions than either the Invasion or Mutant Cell. The Mission is apparently a really midlane reading bowling ball, which is why I was initially surprised that at OOB surface with a pin just under ring finger (drilling #2 on their sheet), the ball was playing fairly angular. In fact, no matter where I moved on the lane or how I rolled it, the ball just duckhooked left as it entered the backend (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but not what I was expecting from a solid midlane reading ball). The carry wasn't great, a lot of back pins (7s, 10s, and even a couple of 5s). It ended up staying in the bag for league nights, as it seemed I had literally zero room for error, and when I did go flush, chances are it wouldn't strike.

After working with my coach and taking it to 1000 grit, I'm able to get the ball reading the midlane well and a strong arc off the dry. I'd be hesitant to recommend a drilling, simply because I'm not deeply familiar with the process, and the fact that I'm not sure how familiar a plugged mission will react compared to a fresh mission. Still, I feel that my mission would fit just below an Invasion or Mutant (take that with a grain of salt, I don't own nor have I ever thrown either). The coverstock is very versatile so whatever drilling you do go for, a coverstock adjustment can always be used to obtain more of what you're looking for.

I'll be able to get a video up in two days of a few shots in league, but I'm not sure how much that would help you. =o Hope that helps any.
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

#138849 - 11/09/10 02:21 AM Re: Ebonite Mission [Re: Pattayabowler]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
Bottom line, I would like some suggestions as how to drill this balls to clear the heads cleanly, obtain a little midlane read with a strong continuous turn without losing too much energy and rolling out. I guess I would say that I don't necessarily want a smooth controlled are nor a skid/Flip reaction, but somewhere in between, midlane control with a smooth, but strong turn that will carry to the pocket

I don't think this is the ball will give you what you are looking for, especially a used Mission. The Mission even at its best, is a strong continuous arc-er. Used, its is even more so. But to get something with some kind of kick to the back end you will have to put some polish on any ball. Except maybe a new Virtual Gravity.

I have a Mission myself and I love it. But when I have to move deeper inside it doesn't make the corner because it is reacting too much in the mid lane. So I have switch balls to something that clears that mid lane area better so it has some more kick to the back end. Lately that ball is the Hammer Plague. Last week I tried to use my tried and true Ebonite TidalWave Wipeout and it outhooked both my Mission and Plague so could not use it comfortably that week.

#138866 - 11/09/10 11:14 AM Re: Ebonite Mission [Re: Pattayabowler]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
I have a Mission and have thrown all my high games with it. But, I do not use alot of hand so I don't get much hook with it through heavy oil...at least not with the factory surface. My Pro Shop guy played with the coverstock a bit this week and I can barely keep it on the lane from my normal lines now. This ball now needs midlane oil. But, I would have to agree with Ato that it is more of a continuous arc kinda ball. I do know the instructions can be found online for a snap hook drilling with it at ebonite.com. My Pro Shop guy didn't think it that drilling best suited the ball.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#138881 - 11/09/10 01:01 PM Re: Ebonite Mission [Re: Pattayabowler]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
I do know the instructions can be found online for a snap hook drilling with it at Ebonite.com. My Pro Shop guy didn't think it that drilling best suited the ball.

I think this is a great two liner worth expounding on. Balls are made with a certain ball path in mind. They are researched and tested and finally produced with a certain core, certain coverstock and certain cover condition.

You should not, IMO, try to make a ball do something it has not been designed to do. Especially if you are the average league bowler like most of us on these boards. Now if you are a Robert Smith and/or Tommy Jones, you can get this ball to snap. But for us mere mortals this is an arc-ing ball.

Erin

#138893 - 11/09/10 02:53 PM Re: Ebonite Mission [Re: Pattayabowler]
Norm3v Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34 M NJ US
I have a Mission, I forget the exact layout, but it pretty much gives me what you are asking (look to the left and you will see my layout on the ball <-----). What separates the Mission from your Invasion and Mutant Cell is that the Mission has some pearl in it that will allow it to clear the front part of the lane much better than those other two balls. I have an Invasion and Virtual Gravity and got a Mission for the exact same reason you did. The only thing you might want to ponder is how it was previously drilled. If it was drilled close to what you wanted it for then you might be lucky and get that reaction, if not who knows what you will get unless your Pro Shop has a deTerminator. As much as I like this drilling, I think I might need a weight hole to get a little bit more midlane out of the ball because it does go a little longer than I wanted it to when I need to take some hand out of the ball and play straighter.

But yes, everyone is right that this is not a skid/snap kind of ball, but you said you didn't want that anyway, so you should be fine as long as the previous drilling doesn't mess it up. My house is notorious for leaving 10 pins and this ball has enough backend and energy to kick them out when my MCP isn't enough ball.
- Lucid
- Tropical Heat Pearl (Red/Blue)

High Game: 300 (2)
High Series: 758
Average: 210

#138918 - 11/10/10 12:44 AM Re: Ebonite Mission [Re: Pattayabowler]
Pattayabowler Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 54/M/USA/THAILAND
Hi,

For a while there, I didn't think I was going to receive any response. Thanks to all of you who have replied.

Although my Mission is a second-hand ball albeit with very little use, I felt that it gave me an opportunity to try out the ball before I forked over the high new ball price for the Mission which is 9,800 Thai Baht (approximately $335.00) US dollars drilled. Actually, almost any ball purchased in Thailand approaches the $300.00 mark except for a plastic spare ball which approaches $150.00 drilled.

I never got to see the ball rolled before making the trade because he lives in Bangkok and I live further to the south. The ball still had the original surface on it. My friend is retired and spends a lot of time at the bowling centers in and around Bangkok and trades balls frequently.

Anyway, I couldn't wait any longer and got the ball drilled up yesterday the same as my Evil Seige (pin down 45 x 4 1/2 x 70 for Max Hook & Arc). I kind of share the same philosophy as Atochabsh in that certain balls are designed with a particular type of motion and in a nutshell, this motion should be exploited instead of defeated. I don't mind a smooth arcing ball, however I have trouble moving inside with this type of ball particularly at my bowling house whereby the center of the lanes are not heavily oiled. Most of my solid or heavier oil balls lose too much energy during the transition.

Drilled the same as my Evil Siege, the Mission arcs more, but doesn't have quite the energy retention as the Siege when making the turn at the breakpoint. The Evil Siege doesn't skid/snap, but has a stronger and more continuous move towards the pocket. The Mission does hold a tight midlane arc very well. I rolled a 208 the first game with it as it failed to take out the 7 pin a couple of times. By the second game, the lanes had already broken down so I tried to move inside. The ball rolled ok, but just didn't have the hitting power that I would have liked. I then tried straight down the 6 board. At this house, the track like forms at the 5 board, anything outside of this just skids too much and can't make the turn. Rolling down the 6 board, the ball made a nice controlled turn towards the pocket, but just couldn't carry the 7 pin. Hopefully, I will be able to try the Mission on some fresher oil on my next outing albeit still medium oil at best.

Norm3V - I had initially considered drilling my Mission similar to yours, pin centered low above the bridge or slight middle finger bias, but CG kicked out a little, but with the 3 inch pin to CG distance, it would place the CG well above the midline. I had previously drilled my Reign, 3 inch pin, with the pin at 5 inches from PAP which put it above my middle finger. The CG was well above midline and required a balance hole up high, around 11 o'clock above and left of my ring finger. The ball looked strange to me, however I like the roll. It has a small midlane reaction followed by a strong continuous (not skid/flip) turn to the pocket driving hard through the pins; this ball hits hard.

Atochabsh - I generally like to drill balls with the CG on the horizontal midline or below in the thumb quadrant. What is your opinion concerning drilling with the CG in the finger quadrant? I always felt that it restricts the options afforded by a balance hole placement to tweak ball reaction. Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts. I've always limited my pin-up drillings to balls with pin to CG distances of 3 1/2 inches or greater.

Bottom line, I think I will like the Mission's smooth and controlled roll, maybe as a good benchmark ball as long as there is enough lane oil, however I do wonder, had I placed the pin above the bridge, I just may have experienced a little stronger reaction at the breakpoint with a stronger pin carry. I am also thinking that I may change the surface of the ball to 4000 abralon or keep it at 2000 abralon and add polish to get more length and backend reaction on medium oil, especially after they breakdown a bit; I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Atochabsh - Speaking of the Hammer Plague; I rode along with some friends who were going to Bangkok the buy some new balls. They had been told that some new Storm balls had arrived, Storm Anarchy. When we got there, we saw that the Thai National Bowling Team were practicing for an upcoming tournament in China. The Pro Shop owner told me that I had just missed a Hammer Plague. One of the Thai team members had drilled up the first one that he'd seen in Thailand, but didn't like it and sold or traded it back to the Pro Shop with only 9 games on it. Another guy had just bought it a short time before we arrived.

Watching the Thai National Bowling Team practice made me think that they patterned themselves off of Walter Ray Williams Jr. or Mike Scroggins; every one of them, other than the lady spinner bowlers, were rolling hard straight up the 5 board.

Again, thanks for your replies and hope to read some more. I'm particularly interested in hearing your opinions concerning drilling pin-up with shorter Pin to CG balls that place the CG above the midline and in the finger.

David

Edited by Pattayabowler (11/10/10 12:49 AM)
Hammer - Black Widow Pearl - Medium
Hammer - Emerald Vibe - Dry to Light
Ebonite - Maxim - Spare

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Today at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.