BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138479 - 11/02/10 01:32 PM Theory Review
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 30/M/Orlando FL
Layout #1
40 x 4 1/2 x 40
no hole
box surface

I have been looking very forward to this ball. It really shows that the people in Utah really put some time and effort into this release. This layout is my asymmetrical benchmark layout that I like to use on my first ball out of my bag. I tested this on the 39 foot Middle Road pattern from Kegel.

I noticed immediately how much stronger this ball is than anything I have thrown in the past. It is not as early rolling for me as the Mutant Cell, it is more of a very strong midlane movement. In comparison I was 6 and 3 farther left than my Mutant Cell and 5 and 2 farther left than my Mutant Cell Pearl, playing around 18 at the arrows and 7 and the end of the pattern. The thing that I like the best is how predictable the ball motion is.
The motion for me is similar to my benchmark Riot but MUCH stronger. As the lanes started to break down I was able to make 3 and 1's and my ball reaction just seemed to get better and better. I have not seen this from a ball that is this strong. I bowled league the same day starting with the Theory and continued to throw is the entire night. On the house shot this ball was a monster! It seemed like every time the ball was close to the 1-3 it struck. I put together games of 236,259,248. I did have to move a little more throughout the night than usual but it seemed every time I moved the ball just hit harder.

The Theory is quickly becoming my favorite ball since the original Cell. I didn't think I would find a ball as predictable as The Cell, but here it is. All types of players will be able to put this in their arsenal. A ball motion like this can be used on a HUGE variety of patterns. This ball is a must have!!

Titusville FL

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#138482 - 11/02/10 02:06 PM Re: Theory Review [Re: Jmartin27407]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
Is the ball strong in oil or just strong off the dry?

Book Average 220

#138485 - 11/02/10 02:13 PM Re: Theory Review [Re: J_w73]
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: J_w73

This is one of the strongest covers I have seen in a while. Handling heavier patterns is definitly not a problem.
Titusville FL

#138489 - 11/02/10 04:04 PM Re: Theory Review [Re: Jmartin27407]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
When's the video coming out, and do you do any comparisons on the video to the other balls? I personally like the ones that show the lines of the different ball paths.

#138498 - 11/02/10 06:54 PM Re: Theory Review [Re: Jmartin27407]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Jmartin27407

This is one of the strongest covers I have seen in a while. Handling heavier patterns is definitly not a problem.

What are you stats. tilt, rotation , rev rate??
How is it different than the cell? I had a cell and didn't like it at all.. I'm chalking it up to the drilling and just too long of pin to pap that made the ball want to go forward at any sight of friction... it was 5 1/2 pin to pap, pin below bridge(around 60 to 70 deg to VAL??) and 45 deg MB.. The ball had zero recovery and just didn't do much for me.

Book Average 220

#138522 - 11/03/10 11:33 AM Re: Theory Review [Re: B-Hammer]
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
When's the video coming out, and do you do any comparisons on the video to the other balls? I personally like the ones that show the lines of the different ball paths.

We are working on the videos now - Should be out in a week or so - Probably will be compared to the Mutant Cell and the Dagger
Titusville FL

#138524 - 11/03/10 11:49 AM Re: Theory Review [Re: J_w73]
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

How is it different than the cell? I had a cell and didn't like it at all.. I'm chalking it up to the drilling and just too long of pin to pap that made the ball want to go forward at any sight of friction... it was 5 1/2 pin to pap, pin below bridge(around 60 to 70 deg to VAL??) and 45 deg MB.. The ball had zero recovery and just didn't do much for me.

Speed - 19mph
Rev Rate - 450
Tilt - 18 degrees
Rot - 50 degrees

Looking at the layout you have on your Cell - Your angle sum is around 110 degrees, are you rev dominate? Also using a pin that far from your PAP on a asymmetrical ball does make the ball roll forward, this works better with players with high tilt. I see similarities in motion with these two balls, more in the actual shape than anything. Both are very predictable but the Theory is definitely stronger, I might even do a comparison of these 2 in the video.
Titusville FL

#138537 - 11/03/10 07:17 PM Re: Theory Review [Re: Jmartin27407]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

Speed - 19mph
Rev Rate - 450
Tilt - 18 degrees
Rot - 50 degrees

Looking at the layout you have on your Cell - Your angle sum is around 110 degrees, are you rev dominate? Also using a pin that far from your PAP on a asymmetrical ball does make the ball roll forward, this works better with players with high tilt. I see similarities in motion with these two balls, more in the actual shape than anything. Both are very predictable but the Theory is definitely stronger, I might even do a comparison of these 2 in the video.

I'm slightly speed dominant.. 325-375rpm, 18-19 mph. 10-15 tilt, 50-60 rotation
I'm planning to go to a testing lane soon to get all of my stats professionally done.

Yes.. just realizing that the long pins make the ball want to roll forward after bowling for 25 years.. Always had long pins because my drillers just used their favorite pin position in relation to the fingers.. Well this always put the pin on my high tracking 5 1/2" over pap around 5 to 5 1/2 inches from the pap... and this always made me come around the side of the ball and hit up for a very high degree of axis rotation just so that ball would get down the lane and hook on the backend..
I changed my release to being more inside and coming up the back more and realize that my stuff just doesn't want to finish and rolls out very quickly...

I haven't drilled any asymmertricals under 3 3/8 pin to pap..
I have lowered my pin to pap some.. My favorite layout is 4 to 4 1/2 pin to pap 30 deg VAL, 60 deg MB.. usually a variation of the double thumb so that I can add a weight hole if I want to tweak the reaction..
I'm finding that these balls tend to transition way to fast for me as well. I realized there was a problem when the stronger my ball was the less it would hook the drier the lane got.. and the weaker balls would hook more..
I know this can be the case cause strong balls will burn up but my case was rediculous..
I guess there is use for a reaction like I am getting with this drill but I don't think it is good to have on every ball I have.
Here is a link to the equipment I have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4950803028/

Tell me what you think..
I have a slingshot that I am going to drill up with a short pin to pap.

Sorry for the book.

Book Average 220

#138568 - 11/04/10 08:23 AM Re: Theory Review [Re: Jmartin27407]
The 5 board Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 18/m/Australia
How strong is the backend on this ball? Like, in comparison to the VG. I'm looking for something to replace my VG and was wondering if this would be a good replacement.

Gear:
Track Spare
Hammer Vibe (Grape)
Columbia 300 Classic U2 (Waiting to be drilled)
Taboo Deep Purple (Waiting to be drilled)
Track 919c

#138582 - 11/04/10 03:20 PM Re: Theory Review [Re: J_w73]
Jmartin27407 Offline
League Bowler

I see your sweet spot at 90 degrees - using 1:1 ratios due to your above average axis rotation. I would lower the angle sum for a slingshot due to the weaker cover. So
40 x 3 1/4 x 40 is what i would recommend for your slingshot. The core of the slingshot is a very low diff core, this ball is not going to flare a lot as it is so I would use a higher flaring pin. This will help you burn off some of the axis rotation. Also I can't see the link you posted it says it is private.
Titusville FL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.