BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137999 - 10/24/10 07:14 PM Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes
keoweestroker Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 64
Having a lot of trouble in high rollers league with the first game on fresh 41' wood lanes. Current balls run out, have no continuation. Prefer 12-15 up rolling to 5-7 down into the pocket.

Have a high track, low revs, 13.5 mph, little hand.

Mutant Cell (Pin above/out ring finger) has gone away would flattened out at the end.

Trying a 715T (drilled #3) with same problem both the Track and Mutant are semi good going into the middle 2nd game and third.

Need a ball that has come back/continuation for the first game.

Looking at the Hammer Plague or the Track 916AT.

Any suggestions on first game ball? Prefer a nice arc with continuation, not sure have enough speed for skid/flip type ball with concerns me about the two balls mentioned.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#138021 - 10/24/10 09:44 PM Re: Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes [Re: keoweestroker]
ewn51 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 62/m/ohio
Look at Storms Prodigy & Anarchy, I know the Prodigy is not as snappy as my other Storm balls. The video of the Anarchy looks great but the bags are full and it would be cold sleeping in the camper for the winter.
Prodigy 14# (Thanks Storm & Congratulations on the #1 Finish at the Battle of the Brands!)
Attitude Shift 14#
Hyroad 14#
Tropical Heat Silver/Black 14#
Fast 14#
Ice Storm 14#

#138025 - 10/24/10 10:11 PM Re: Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes [Re: keoweestroker]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
Hey Keoweestroker,

Here's what I see after what you have wrote and looking at your profile. You have low revs, slow speed already and prefer playing the 12 to 15 board area.
Ok, I would prefer to tell you what could help you technique wise first, though a proper ball is important, it's not going to help if your not doing certain things.
To bowl different conditions that our equipment doesn't work so well on, means we need to play different areas of the lane. When you are the kinda of player that has trouble getting the ball to move on a longer oil pattern, you don't swing the ball out. Why? A ball that swings out is moving away from the pocket and needs more energy to re-route back towards the pocket. You don't want to waste energy that you need for the backend. You have low revs already, so on a longer pattern, swinging out is not a good idea. It's all about using the balls energy properly acoording to how we bowl. So, try sending the ball down and in, look at the dots that are right over the foul line. Sometimes even lofting may help create more backend, so try lofting a foot or two. Make sure your index finger is spread wide. Even if you have to send the ball on a path that is already going at the pocket is ok, as long as it has a little turn at the end. So there are alot of tricks you can get in your game to get the job done. Seek out a good coach to help with these things.
Try some of these new technigues and then it will make your purchase of a ball that's set up for longer patterns more enjoyable. You'll probably find out you have a ball that you can make it work on.
Revenator

Edited by Revenator (10/24/10 10:15 PM)

#138047 - 10/25/10 02:33 AM Re: Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes [Re: keoweestroker]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
well, I think as you've mentioned, you have enough equipment. Now is the time to start learning how to use it. And you are going to have to MOVE and play a different part of the lane the first game to get to the pocket and stay in play. You are going to have to move outside to 10 or 8 board and play out there. Move your feet and your target in a 1:1 ratio until you get there.

Erin

#138058 - 10/25/10 10:48 AM Re: Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes [Re: keoweestroker]
MrBill Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 46/M/FL
I have found that on the fresh long patterns when I bring out a sanded ball maybe 1000 or lower grit with pin down grabs well down lane.
Starting foot placement depends. Try your outside the 10 and let the ball roll in, see if that works on practice.
Or the tried and true method of giving the pocket away just a bit so as not to lose energy getting back to the pocket and having some left to drive into the pins.

#138079 - 10/25/10 06:05 PM Re: Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes [Re: keoweestroker]
keoweestroker Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 64
Thanks for the replies with Revenator, Atochabsh and Mr Bill dead on and agreement 100% with your analysis. Revenator did an excellent discussion and stubborn me needed that, I was looking for that TV ""Easy Button" to get that 2nd/3rd game action/line in the first game.

This PM bowled three games using your suggestions (with all three balls (Mutant, Gamebreaker, 715T) avg about 185. Must have left about three solid 10 pins in each game (which this house is famous for)

For some reason my house seems to carry light hits with the 7 pin being flooded and last to fall. It appears the ball trajectory is more on a 5-8/9 line for the light hit. Rolling down the right side seems to send the ball trajectory on a 5-7/8 line leaving numerous 10 pins.

Most interesting was all three mfg balls were so close to the same action/line it makes me wonder if there aren't 20-25 balls in this same classification that do basically the same thing.

Thanks again folks for the input as I suspect I have learned a very valuable lesson.

#138080 - 10/25/10 06:42 PM Re: Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes [Re: keoweestroker]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: keoweestroker

Looking at the Hammer Plague or the Track 916AT.

having just tried 8 different balls in an Ebonite demo, I would choose either the Columbia Pure Physics or Hammer Jigsaw Trap.

I threw all the balls with high revs, but the Trap also worked well with almost no hand and low revs. You would definitely like the Trap or the Columbia Pure Physics due to their continuous arc.

Yeah, definitely the Pure Physics or Trap will give you what you want without having to change your throwing style. Straight up the 10 board, just a little hand, and if it hits the pocket, the most you'll be left with is a 10 pin.

Not saying you shouldn't work on the things that were suggested. I'm just saying, these balls hit like a keg o' dynamite at low revs, low angle, 14 mph (which I tried simply because everything else was hitting and I wondered how slow/low I could go).
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#138084 - 10/25/10 07:49 PM Re: Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes [Re: 10PinGaloot]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
I would think the c-system 3.5 would be a perfect first ball. I can not use my mission on freshly oiled lanes...at least not how it's drilled. Believe it or not I get better reaction with my c-system 2.5. I play almost exactly like you do and my 2.5 is a beast even on freshly oiled lanes. The 3.5 is supposed to be even stronger. The carry is unreal with the c-systems.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#138085 - 10/25/10 08:19 PM Re: Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes [Re: DocLogic77]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: DocLogic77
I would think the c-system 3.5 would be a perfect first ball. I can not use my mission on freshly oiled lanes...at least not how it's drilled.

Wow! Cool! I have a C System 3.5, but haven't thrown it more than two games yet.

I was going to recommend the Mission 2.0, but then decided the Trap and Pure Physics fit the OP's wants list better.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#138087 - 10/25/10 08:57 PM Re: Need Help - Ball 1st game Oily Lanes [Re: Atochabsh]
Charlie98 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 50/M/McKinney, TX
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Now is the time to start learning how to use it. And you are going to have to MOVE and play a different part of the lane the first game to get to the pocket and stay in play.

That's probably the most important thing I have learned since I started coming here... sometimes YOU have to move! Up, down, left, right. Sometimes it doesn't always work (like today, for me...) but eventually you will find The Spot. ...of course, The Spot may move a throw or two later...

You need to be open to adjusting your position on the approach and where and how you release the ball.

Locked and Loaded:
Cyborg 15#
LX-16 15#
MX-10 15#
811A-SE 15#
2Fast 15#

Career
HG: 279
HS: 699
HA: 201

Fall/Winter 2016-17
AVG: 190
HG: 262
HS: 658

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.