BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137826 - 10/22/10 09:17 AM Storm Staff Audition (critique away!)
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Here is my video I am sending in my package for Storm Staff for the 2011 season. Please let me know if there is anything that you feel I should change/add/remove.

Also, let me know what you see in my game that you feel I could improve on, I always like to hear it!

IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#137832 - 10/22/10 10:18 AM Re: Storm Staff Audition (critique away!) [Re: sk8shorty01]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Overall I think it looks pretty good. Aren't the staffers more filmed for what they do the balls? IDK, don't know much about that particular thing at all.

Anyways, as for your approach looks great. The only thing that stuck out to me was that you are a certain height in your 3 and 4 steps, but into your slide you come a little. So from steps 3-5 your head and body does this little arch like motion sometimes. I mean it looks like you bang strikes galore, it's simply the only thing that stood out to me, and I figured I'd mention it in case you were having accuracy problems or something like that, plus I was taught to keep my head on the same plane...so yeah. Other than that, looks great. Nice swing, even in the more open stances, wish I could do that. Methinks I need the equipment first. LOL. Smooth consistent tempo, strong release. Good show mate, I hope they pick you.

I do have two questions though. The first is, how do you adjust axis tilt and rotation at the same time? Cause I can do rotation, but not tilt and it's bothering me because sometimes my ball will have a weird roll and I think it's cause I changed the tilt inadvertently. And second, how come your slide foot is opened and let's say pointing away from your swing side? Is that intentional and if so what exactly is the purpose of doing that?

Good luck,

The Demolition Man
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#137834 - 10/22/10 10:26 AM Re: Storm Staff Audition (critique away!) [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Demo, I add tilt by abducting my hand, as well as tucking my pinkie. The amount I abduct determines the amount of tilt I add. For those that do not know, the abducting motion can be done like this:

Put the hand, palm up, on the table. Now tilt the hand (side to side) so that the pinkie moves closer to the wrist while the index finger moves away. You will notice that if you trace a line through the center of your index finger, it should line up and match up with the outside of your forearm almost perfectly.

As for my slide foot, by angling the foot away from the target line you achieve a better balance. By doing this you allow the body to have an extra balance point on the floor because your momentum can no longer "roll your ankle" over the foot. Try it while sitting down. Angle your slide foot outside of you body and notice how much ankle movement you have front to back, now do it the other way and notice how much movement there is. It promotes better balance is all.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#137837 - 10/22/10 10:49 AM Re: Storm Staff Audition (critique away!) [Re: sk8shorty01]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

Alright cool, thanks. Also I was under the impression that more axis tilt delays the ball reaction is that true or no?
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#137838 - 10/22/10 10:53 AM Re: Storm Staff Audition (critique away!) [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
Alright cool, thanks. Also I was under the impression that more axis tilt delays the ball reaction is that true or no?

That is true, as I move in and add axis rotation I have to add a little tilt because my standard shot has maybe 3-4 degrees of tilt. When moving inside I drop my ball speed and send the ball to the same breakpoint, by adding tilt it allows the ball time to recover down the lane, otherwise it would "stand up" early and not make it back to full pocket, leaving things like the bucket.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#137840 - 10/22/10 10:56 AM Re: Storm Staff Audition (critique away!) [Re: sk8shorty01]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

Alright I got ya. Cool. Thanks for the info. Hope you get selected mate. thumbsup

#137842 - 10/22/10 10:58 AM Re: Storm Staff Audition (critique away!) [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
Alright I got ya. Cool. Thanks for the info. Hope you get selected mate. thumbsup

Thanks again, and I hope so as well. For me its not so much the "free" equipment, its the simple fact that I already promote the product in most cases so I might as well attempt to be on staff and represent them in my bowling ability as well.

We will see what happens, but hopefully I can get on and start selling all you guys some Storm stuff haha!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#137847 - 10/22/10 11:56 AM Re: Storm Staff Audition (critique away!) [Re: sk8shorty01]
GoldCoast Roller Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 32/M/Ventura County, CA, USA
sk8,

Good looking ball you throw, sir! Storm should be proud to have to represent the brand. Your personality (at least your internet personality), as extrapolated from your posts on the forums, appears to be solid as well.

Two thoughts/questions:

1) The camera shots from the rear seem a touch far away. While you get a great sense of your balance and timing, you don't see too much in the way of ball travel/reaction and shot consistency. Maybe a few throws with the camera offset to the right and closer would help?

2) Edited in iMovie for mac? Which video/clip editor did you use?

Cheers! thumbsup

GCR
THS Avg: 220.00

Career:
Game: 300
Series: 793
THS Avg: 228.81
PBA Avg: 203

Current 3 in the Bag:
Killer Instinct Pearl
RPM Formula 4
Quantum Midnight Blue

#137850 - 10/22/10 12:05 PM Re: Storm Staff Audition (critique away!) [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

You are correct, I wasn't able to see much of the ball reaction, although I am not sure how much of that they are really interested in simply because of the fact that it is on a house shot. I realized it when I got home, I will attempt to get a few more shots to see if I can get a good ball reaction shot.

I used Microsoft Live Movie Maker to edit and put the video together.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#137851 - 10/22/10 12:07 PM Re: Storm Staff Audition (critique away!) [Re: sk8shorty01]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
sk8, have you talked with General Pounder? His buddy is a Storm Staffer and may help.

Would that man you could never use Lane Master balls?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.