BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136999 - 10/09/10 08:12 AM Performance complaints but not willing to learn
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Just one of those things I find amusing with people. They bowl only once a week in league, have dated equipment and complain because they're not bowling well. If you ask them if they practice/read or ever considered coaching they respond with "I don't have time for that" or "I bowl here every week why would I need to practice". laugh
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#137002 - 10/09/10 09:28 AM Re: Performance complaints but not willing to learn [Re: VFF57]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 42/m/ny
lets not forget the people that ask for help, then won't try what you suggest, then still complain. that always cracks me up too.
working on all of them......

track 930T [15]

member of the mooseknuckles winter vl team

#137010 - 10/09/10 11:19 AM Re: Performance complaints but not willing to learn [Re: tbill]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Or when you offer a tip, and they "attempt" to do it (but really they don't, because you rarely can change anything that easily)... and then after one try immediately say "that didn't work". nut
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#137011 - 10/09/10 11:23 AM Re: Performance complaints but not willing to learn [Re: VFF57]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
VFF, left the game in 1978 to raise my kids. And, returned in '04. During that time, it seems like we lost a generation of bowlers. The '80's and '90's saw that drop in bowlers, USBC memberships falling and closing of many centers.

I remember in the late '70's, I had to call the center to reserve a lane to practice. Now, you can walk in any time and find open lanes. Lack of practice is not for the lack of opportuity. The general interest in bowling has changed from trying to improve to a social night out.

The competitive leagues are disappearing. We have no scratch leagues any more. But, there is a proliferation of 'Every other Week' and 'Once a Month' leagues. The Sport is gone, and bowling is a night out. But, not every week. And, certanly not somethng you work on.

Working at a Center, as I do, of the hundreds of bowlers that I know, there is no more then a handful who come in to practice. And when I suggest instruction or practice, I get laughed at. People are not taking this game seriously any longer.

So, if that's the case, don't complain when you don't impove.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#137017 - 10/09/10 01:59 PM Re: Performance complaints but not willing to learn [Re: VFF57]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I bowl once a week. I know that I could be a LOT better if I got out to practice but, with 3 small kids, I don't have time. I know my lack of practice costs me pins. I deal with it. I know that if I put in the time, I could be over 230. This past week with throwing the ball so-so, I shot 683. There are too many people who go out there, stand left, throw right, and watch the ball strike. In order to be a good house bowler, you don't have to practice because of the equipment. In order to be a good bowler, you do.

I agree with VFF though. Those who come on here (or at the lanes) and talk about how frustrated they are and why aren't they getting better but won't spend the time to get better. If you are not willing to put in the time\money to get better, don't complain when you still struggle.

#137019 - 10/09/10 04:57 PM Re: Performance complaints but not willing to learn [Re: Dennis Michael]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I left the game in 1978 to raise my kids. And, returned in '04. During that time, it seems like we lost a generation of bowlers. The '80's and '90's saw that drop in bowlers, USBC memberships falling and closing of many centers.

I have a book about that called "Bowling Alone" by Robert D. Putnam

Not just in bowling, but in fellowships such as the Optimist and Lions, and in groups like League of Women Voters, memberships have dropped precipitously in some groups.

We're all condemned to live virtual lives... I bet there are more Wii bowlers than we bowlers!
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#137022 - 10/09/10 06:46 PM Re: Performance complaints but not willing to learn [Re: VFF57]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
This is true. Two things come to mind for me. One, league bowlers who think they are gods gift. Two, the overcomplication of the sport in its lingo.

Prime example. My wife. She does not read all the magazines and books I do on bowling. But she will listen to me about them. She cant stand arrogant 200 bowlers on a house shot who scoff at beginners. She's beaten many of them by the way. It scares people off. They dont want to talk to those people much less bowl around them if they arent very good yet.

Two the lingo. When people hear axis tilt, and radius of gyration and all that they are like, forget it.

i think these two things scare off new bowlers from wanting to take it more seriously.

On the bowlers side though. You need to be humble and know that you will meet jerks sometimes but there are a lot of nice people willing to help if they see you are seriously trying to learn.

P.S. How many of us bowlers go up to the youth bowlers and their parents and tell them how good they look and to keep it up. If i see a kid out there trying. I dont care if he throws ten gutters. Ill tell him something positive. Sure enough a week or two later they are asking a question or two and now they start to get it. Or ill tell their parent what a great swing hope he/she keeps it up. next time you see that kid they are really motivated. The parent too.

Edited by evilash71 (10/09/10 06:49 PM)
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

#137045 - 10/10/10 12:42 PM Re: Performance complaints but not willing to learn [Re: VFF57]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
Yeah, yesterday I had one of the bowling alley guys see that my thumb was hanging up. He suggested me opening the thumb hole. I knew the thumb hole was fine it was me coming around the ball way too much [censored] with my release. I really want the guys eye and advice considering I am so new to taking this sport seriously. With that said, I think I offended him when I told him why I thought my thumb was hanging up. Ehh...live and learn should have just nodded I suppose.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#137046 - 10/10/10 12:49 PM Re: Performance complaints but not willing to learn [Re: VFF57]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
One thing about giving advice...the advice should enhance what the person is trying to do rather than revamp it into something different. For example, when I two-hand, telling me that I should use my thumb or use one hand is just not going to help. heh Most other advice would apply though. I listen to everything, but give less weight to advice to totally change my styles.

#137064 - 10/10/10 09:15 PM Re: Performance complaints but not willing to learn [Re: aoiten]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
The competitive leagues are disappearing. We have no scratch leagues any more. But, there is a proliferation of 'Every other Week' and 'Once a Month' leagues. The Sport is gone, and bowling is a night out. But, not every week. And, certanly not somethng you work on.

Dennis, in my area there's a three man scratch league with a team average cap of 640. I wanted to join but I was already committed to two other leagues plus it's a little pricey. Good payouts, but from what I hear the competition is tough. I was asked to sub but my book(216) broke the team average budget. I would have really liked to see what was going on in that league.

Quote:
Working at a Center, as I do, of the hundreds of bowlers that I know, there is no more then a handful who come in to practice. And when I suggest instruction or practice, I get laughed at. People are not taking this game seriously any longer.

I try and practice every Sunday morning. You're right though, I don't see a lot of true practicing going on besides the usual handful of people. Reading and practicing is the only way I know how to try and get better. I hope bowling lives on and makes a come back. By the time I get to the next skill level it won't matter because there won't be anyone to bowl against laugh

-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.