BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136664 - 10/03/10 01:09 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Richie V.]
Iago Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 32/M/Nunyabusiness
Originally Posted By: Richie V

As a bit of coaching advice, you'll want to throw your straight ball from the corner of the lane that's on the same side as your bowling hand...

Thanks....yeah, I reasoned that much out myself when I first started. Oddly, though, when I started from the far right edge I can never seem to hit the pocket. Then someone in my league suggested that I move over to the left a bit, and once I did, I improved dramatically. Now I start off with my feet around the second dot from the left, and release the ball probably around the 9th or 10th board, maybe.

I have noticed something unexpected though. When I hit the 1-3 pocket dead on, I can get a strike a fair amount of the time....but if I overshoot and the ball (accidently) goes across the midlane and into the 1-2 pocket area, I get a strike almost everytime. Well, at least much more often than the other pocket, it seems.

I'm wondering if I should just start making the opposite pocket my target. I guess i've been assuming that the resultant strikes from this mis-shots are all lucky breaks, but still...

Is this a viable strategy? It doesn't seem logical that a ball bowled in a straight line from the right corner and carrying over into the 1-2 pocket area should result in many strikes, because the ball wouldn't carry through the middle, it should just deflect of the 1-2 pins and fly down the left side. Maybe I'm just hitting the 1 and 2 pin in just the right way that they carry and flatten out the rest?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#136665 - 10/03/10 01:16 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
I believe going for a high gloss ball would allow you to have the most speed. The duller surfaces catch the lane more and will slow down. The urethane balls don't have a high gloss surface out of the box, and while they won't have as much friction as a reactive ball, they aren't as slick as a plastic.

Do you have any desire to learn to hook the ball, or are happy bowling straight? You could get a high gloss lower tiered ball like a Freeze, Heat, or Slingshot that would be something that can go straight or produce a hook if you learn that release.

#136666 - 10/03/10 01:27 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
General Pounder Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 38/M/Midlothian, IL
Best strike ball for a straight bowler...the cheapest ball.

#136667 - 10/03/10 02:45 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: B-Hammer]
Iago Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 32/M/Nunyabusiness
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
I believe going for a high gloss ball would allow you to have the most speed. The duller surfaces catch the lane more and will slow down. The urethane balls don't have a high gloss surface out of the box, and while they won't have as much friction as a reactive ball, they aren't as slick as a plastic.

So would plastic be the most "high-gloss" option? How can you tell the relative gloss of a bowling ball?

Quote:
Do you have any desire to learn to hook the ball, or are happy bowling straight?

Perhaps down the road, yes...but for the foreseeable future I've decided to focus only on bowling straight. Partially because I am stubborn and just want to be different, partially because I feel comfortable doing it and am doing fairly well, but mostly because I feel that perfecting a straight up shot is a good foundation.

Once I start bowling with a predictable average and my scores seem to have plateaued beyond improvement, then I will probably try something different.

For now though, I want to invest in the singularly, absolute best bowling ball for throwing straight strikes.

Like...pretend a serious, professional bowler were in a high-stakes specialty tournament which forbade the hook. What ball might he choose for maximum power/pin action for striking? That's what I'm after.

#136669 - 10/03/10 07:00 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
For throwing straight, plastic is the best. reactive and urethane want to grab the lane which if there is even a little turn on your ball, these balls will grab the lane and change direction. And there is no difference in hitting power between a ball thrown straight. Cores and coverstocks only help increaase performance when trying to hook a ball. the only aspect that will increase hitting power for a straight ball is the weight of the ball (heavier is better)
Slingshot

#136671 - 10/03/10 07:18 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
In my experience, having bowled with numerous straight bowlers, get a urethane or low end reactive. You want a ball that will get into a roll no matter what. You don't want the ball to still be skidding when it hits the pins. Too fast of a ball sends pins flying upwards missing other pins.

My sister-in-law is a straight bowler that uses reactives. You can actually see the ball skidding and slowly rotating backwards (still trying to figure that out since she does release the ball thumb forward) in the oil but when it gets past the oil it quickly picks up a roll and hits just as good as some of the straight bowlers throwing rockets down the lane. The biggest issue is accuracy. She does sometimes get a little bit of side rotation on the ball but it only hooks a board or two when she does.
HS:763

#136678 - 10/03/10 09:34 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: Iago
if I overshoot and the ball (accidently) goes across the midlane and into the opposite pocket, I get a strike almost every time. Well, at least much more often than the ball-side pocket.... all lucky breaks, but still...
Is this a viable strategy?

Yes and no.

Yes, you get more powerful strikes on the opposite side. I learned that when I was throwing spinners. Straight balls tend to leave the 8 and 5-8 (for right-handers) when they are slightly off, which brings me to the other part of the answer:

No, it's not a viable strategy, because even for a straight shooter, the pocket is much smaller on the opposite side than on your bowling-hand side. In the long run, you'll want to hit high in the normal pocket.

I feel that perfecting a straight up shot is a good foundation.
Once I start bowling with a predictable average and my scores seem to have plateaued beyond improvement, then I will probably try something different.

BTW - if you want to try spinning, you can PM me or aoiten. we'd be glad to help. If you're only throwing straight in order to gain accuracy and plan to later learn to hook the ball, then now would be the time to get a few sessions with a coach.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#136683 - 10/03/10 03:35 PM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru

I have noticed something unexpected though. When I hit the 1-3 pocket dead on, I can get a strike a fair amount of the time....but if I overshoot and the ball (accidently) goes across the midlane and into the 1-2 pocket area, I get a strike almost everytime. Well, at least much more often than the other pocket, it seems.

Is this a viable strategy? It doesn't seem logical that a ball bowled in a straight line from the right corner and carrying over into the 1-2 pocket area should result in many strikes, because the ball wouldn't carry through the middle, it should just deflect of the 1-2 pins and fly down the left side. Maybe I'm just hitting the 1 and 2 pin in just the right way that they carry and flatten out the rest?

Yes, it is a viable strategy. What weight is your ball? I noticed that when my wife was using a 12# ball, most of her strikes were Brooklyn deflection hits. Same for my son who uses an 11# ball. Now that my wife is back to 14#, she can strike in the 1-3 pocket, yet she can still strike with the deflection hit. It just isn't fashionable to do so.

Let me quickly explain my path to becoming interested in the deflection shot and ultimately spinning. I started shooting a 14# Blue Dot straight. Like you, I noticed less splits and more strikes when crossing over to the 1-2 pocket. Then I thought, why not shoot from the left side of the lane and cross back over to the 1-3 pocket? That's when I discovered that spinners usually do exactly that! BAM--now I'm a spinner. Spinners are masters of deflection shots. If you want to learn about EFFECTIVE deflection, watch spinners.

Deflection works by causing pins to move sideways across the deck. It can also produce messengers. Some people say that a spinner also imparts some wobble to the pins, which enhances pin action as well.

Now, spinners shoot straight, but sometimes they get some back-up motion. In either case, higher level players usually use a reactive ball. Sometimes they use particle balls, sometimes just solid, pearl or even urethane. I don't recall seeing any plastics. Lower level spinners use plastics, of course.

Hmm...I'm wondering if a pearl ball would be good for a straight roller. The pearl might slip better through the oil then grab the dry area in front of the pins for a strong roll. Then again, without Track flare, the ball will be rolling over the well oiled part of the ball the entire time, so maybe a sponge-ball would be better? Don't know.

#136684 - 10/03/10 04:19 PM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
Kappasheno Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/NY
Like General Pounder said, a cheap ball for a strike ball for a straight roller. Reactive Balls aren't meant to be thrown just straight. Practice with your current arsenal and in time move on up.

#136685 - 10/03/10 05:08 PM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Kappasheno]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Originally Posted By: Kappasheno
Like General Pounder said, a cheap ball for a strike ball for a straight roller. Reactive Balls aren't meant to be thrown just straight. Practice with your current arsenal and in time move on up.

I agree with the cheap ball part, but I'd want a reactive if only for one reason: I hate the way a non-reactive ball feels slimy after a few shots. (The USBC allows cleaning between shots, but some leagues or tournaments might not.) Actually, a used reactive wouldn't be a bad thing to try.

I'm all about alternatives, but I'd actually suggest allowing the straight ball to develop into a slight curve ball. A low-end reactive or urethane would help with that.

BTW, this is roughly how I see the different techniques, if anyone cares...

Strike effectiveness: hook, spin, straight.
Spare effectiveness: varies.
Physical ease: spin, straight, hook.
Equipment demands: hook, hook, hook, spin/straight. hehe

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

It's never too early for a good deal!

Shop Amazon - Countdown to Black Friday

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Calvin Pistorio - Today at 07:41 PM
My Hyroad solid was solid today
by Rocket Jr - Yesterday at 08:52 PM
Fall '14 virtual league announcements & discussion
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 04:53 PM
New Sinister Layout matching up well on 42' THS
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 09:23 AM
Brunswick Product Preview
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 08:34 AM
Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"?
by VFF57 - 11/18/14 06:51 PM
Fall '14 Week 10 virtual league results
by wronghander - 11/18/14 09:11 AM
Reverse finger pitch
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/14 02:37 PM
Why deflection bowlers can annoy us!
by samdasham - 11/17/14 09:31 AM
2014 WTBA World Men's Championships
by Richie V. - 11/16/14 03:15 AM
Reactive Ball for Older Bowler
by NoThumbNoProblem - 11/14/14 06:19 PM
Sore wrist.
by Pat013 - 11/14/14 07:19 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.