BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136618 - 10/02/10 09:55 AM Re: Let me know what you think. [Re: Charlie98]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Originally Posted By: Charlie98
Besides what everyone else has said (I'm no authority on that stuff...) what I noticed is it looks like you finish off balance. Once you release you immediately step back up with your trailing leg to get your balance.

You are correct on that. That is one thing i cannot seem to shake. I broke my left foot 6 months ago and ever since then i cannot stay with all my weight on it (way to much weight but i am working on that as well smile ) It does not hurt at all but i just cant stay on it. Not sure what the deal with that is. Maybe just my brain saying no dont break it again, not sure? After i broke my food i had to change completely how my finish was. I even had to get new shoes so that i cld use a leather H7 heal on it because i drag my heal now and the rubber heal on my old shoes would make me trip and i even fell twice the first time i bowled after getting the walking cast off.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#136625 - 10/02/10 05:14 PM Re: Let me know what you think. [Re: slaterracing]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Lets start at the beginning.
1)Hold the ball against your body keep it at the same height. The ball feels lighter the closer it is to your body.
2)You need to get your head over the ball in the setup. keep the lean(tilt) during the entire approach and through the release.
http://www.morichbowling.com/MosCorner/February2004/February2004.htm
http://www.strikeability.com/learn_06.php
You have very good timing, the ball is where it's suppose to be in your first 3 steps.
I think you pull the ball down because of your foot injury.You don't trust your foot can maintain you balance so you pull down so you can get your weight off your foot. This may be difficult by try this drill.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#136676 - 10/03/10 09:02 AM Re: Let me know what you think. [Re: slaterracing]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I have still not received my BTM this month so I haven't read Ron's article, but like I said in a previous post having late timing is fine as long as you aren't pulling the swing or slowing your feet down slower than an normal walking pace. Remember slow feet = slow ball speed. Slow ball speed on less than heavy oil doesn't match up well.

Slaterracing, the biggest issue you are having is you are sliding off to the left which makes staying balanced at the release almost impossible. Focus on sliding your left foot under your belt buckle this will reduce the amount of torque on your foot and make it easier to stay balanced. If you slide off to the left like you are then to get in a balanced position you will have to twist your hips and body weight over your foot and cause pain.

The other thing you need to work on is your push away, you don't have one, similar to Mike Aulby, the difference is Aulby would let the ball drop into the swing and you tend to pull the ball back.

You have a spinner type release it causes the ball to deflect too much when it hits the pins unless the lanes are fairly dry or the oil pattern is on the short side 35-37'

When taking videos make sure we can see your entire approach from head to toe from straight behind and from the ball side of your approach. Shots from behind and to the left on a right handed bowler are practically useless. Close up shots that don't show the release aren't good for much either.

#136680 - 10/03/10 11:08 AM Re: Let me know what you think. [Re: CoachJim]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Thank you all for the advise i will make a new video and try and work on the things you have said. Thanks again everyone.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#136716 - 10/04/10 12:50 AM Re: Let me know what you think. [Re: slaterracing]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
Slaterracing,

Hey not to shabby there, you throw a powerful ball, some would kill for that much hand. You are a big guy like me, you throw similar to me.
Here's what I would recommend for you, do the one step drill, that you may have already done. Just stand at the line, swing the ball, take one step and throw. But here is what you need to focus on: 1) Make sure you have a nice one step stride
2) Make sure the trail leg swings to the left and stays there.
3) Make sure you can hold that position for at least 2 or 3 full seconds.
Yes there are timing issues, causing balancing issues. But if you can get the proper feeling of a proper balanced finish. It will incorporate in your body what it should feel like everytime.
Sort of working backwards from the line.
Then when you go to do all your approach it will help you have a better feel of how to get to the line on the last step with proper balance. This is what you want.
What you will probably find out, is that you have to give the last step a little more time to get out there, before bringing the heat big guy. Some people have fast feet, some slow, but it's that last stride that can make you or break you. Some may need to speed up, some may need to slow down.
But the last stride is very important for balance. So do the one step until you have no balancing issue. Because if you can't do one without a balancing problem, it's probably unlikely that you will do 4 without a balancing problem.
Revenator

Edited by Revenator (10/04/10 12:55 AM)

#136854 - 10/06/10 10:04 AM Re: Let me know what you think. [Re: slaterracing]
IBowlPaul1969 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41, M, Fort Wayne
I watched both videos a couple of times. In your set-up the ball is very far from your body. Having the weight of the ball so far away causes the shoulder and arm to tighten up. Bring the elbow back to the middle of your torso, have your left hand support all the weight of the ball, to keep your right arm loose. Support the ball with the left hand as you push away, dropping it into the swing as soon as your right foot touches down in the first step.
Try to find a quality coach near you for some lessons. This site is good for a few pointers, but the detailed work required to really improve is best done live with a good coach.
Dexter SST shoes
Brunswick balls 15#

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 08/06/20 06:48 AM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 07/18/20 08:37 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.