BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136190 - 09/27/10 09:09 AM ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10)
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Did you leave the entire back row on that first shot? You might want to re post this video in another thread; I thought it was another endless argument between bowling with and without the thumb which I can care less about.

If you watch your set up, your head is not over your right foot, but on the first step, your head leans to where it should start off at, see if you can start with your head over the right foot and keep the ball in line with your foot and head.

If you watch your swing plane, the ball starts off to the right then, the ball swings back to the left of your head at the top of the back swing. Start with the ball in line with your head and let the ball swing under your chin, and swing back down under your chin.

Yea -left the 7, 8, 9, & 10. I had not done that before and thought it was pretty funny.

I put a few of my shots with my thumb out of the ball just to show them here. I am trying to get good finger position with thumb in and I think thumb out will help me with this.

I see what you mean about pushing off to the right. I had been working on dropping the ball into my right leg, but here I was working on sitting down with the hips, not leaning forward with the back.

~ John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#136211 - 09/27/10 03:54 PM Re: ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10) [Re: ijohn83]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:

Yea -left the 7, 8, 9, & 10. I had not done that before and thought it was pretty funny.

The pins you leave tell you what adjustment you need to make, when you leave the 7, 8, 9, & 10 you need to take up golf nelson

#136217 - 09/27/10 04:57 PM Re: ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10) [Re: ijohn83]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
Unless the pins were off-spot or something... is that even possible? An 8-9 is essentially a side-by-side split which is makeable by getting the ball between the 2 pins.

#136221 - 09/27/10 05:38 PM Re: ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10) [Re: ijohn83]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I think that leave on the first shot is a the 3-7-8-10 but definitely not the whole back row. I can see the ball going past the three pin without touching it but don't see the pins to the left until the ball is clearing the pin deck. It's too much space between the two left pins and not that much between the middle two or I would say 3-4-7-10.
HS:763

#136247 - 09/27/10 09:33 PM Re: ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10) [Re: ijohn83]
Norm3v Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34 M NJ US
If that was in league, I would ask for a magnet or whatever the USBC is giving this year! Un-heard-of!

Great bowling John, that timing is really coming together now.
- Lucid
- Tropical Heat Pearl (Red/Blue)

High Game: 300 (2)
High Series: 758
Average: 210

#136256 - 09/27/10 10:05 PM Re: ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10) [Re: ijohn83]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Originally Posted By: CoachJim

If you watch your set up, your head is not over your right foot, but on the first step, your head leans to where it should start off at, see if you can start with your head over the right foot and keep the ball in line with your foot and head.

If you watch your swing plane, the ball starts off to the right then, the ball swings back to the left of your head at the top of the back swing. Start with the ball in line with your head and let the ball swing under your chin, and swing back down under your chin.

Correct as always Jim.
http://www.strikeability.com/learn_06.php
John did you notice that your target line when using 2 hands is more of a swing shot instead of a down and in shot?
WHY IS THIS?
Later timing because of a later pushaway. In your videos the ball is always beating you to the foul line. When using 2 hands your pushaway (hinge) is on your 3 step. Copy this when using your normal swing.
I have asked this of you before. I don't know if you have tried this or not. Barnes and malott have a pushaway that is just a tad late give it a try.

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#136273 - 09/28/10 03:17 AM Re: ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10) [Re: spr3wr]
ijohn83 Offline

Originally Posted By: spr3wr
Correct as always Jim.
http://www.strikeability.com/learn_06.php
John did you notice that your target line when using 2 hands is more of a swing shot instead of a down and in shot?
WHY IS THIS?
Later timing because of a later pushaway. In your videos the ball is always beating you to the foul line. When using 2 hands your pushaway (hinge) is on your 3 step. Copy this when using your normal swing.
I have asked this of you before. I don't know if you have tried this or not. Barnes and malott have a pushaway that is just a tad late give it a try.

I will work on this tomorrow. I've tried to delay my push away before and it is very hard for me. The difference between my one handed and two handed is that the one handed is 19mph with 200revs/min, amd two handed is 16mph with 360revs/min.

~ John

#136322 - 09/28/10 07:54 PM Re: ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10) [Re: ijohn83]
ijohn83 Offline

Here is today's practice Video (09-28-10):

I was trying to push left instead of right on my push-away and up over the bar, & down low under the bar. Only moderately successful. How many boards left of target should I aim at the start - when I push left of target? When I do feel a "leveraged" roll it translates to 2 extras Mph's, not any more side revs - How come? (Hand still moves to outside of ball too soon). Top of my swing plane is still off.

Dang it should be so easy but I make it so hard!

~ John

#136339 - 09/29/10 06:09 AM Re: ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10) [Re: ijohn83]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You aren't setting up properly before each shot. You are still standing bolt upright and your shoulders are still square like a T when you start your approach. Your head is not over your right foot in the set up, the ball is not between your foot and your head, the right shoulder should be lower than your left shoulder which puts your elbow in tight to your hip this puts the ball over your right foot (for normal body shape that is).

Work on your set up and post more video when you have gotten it down.

#136342 - 09/29/10 08:29 AM Re: ijohn83 (Practice 09-22-10) [Re: ijohn83]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Coach has a keen eye!

My amplification, which might be wrong, but I'll say it anyway:

re setting up with the ball in front of your bellybutton - that causes your hand to come back behind your back on the backswing, which maybe to you feels like "working the inside", but is also a figure 8 swing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but probably leads to pulling the ball left more than you'd like to.

re standing up straight - if you watch either your head or your right shoulder, you'll see that they descend considerably throughout your approach. You don't have head-bobs as do beginners, so that's good. But the descent of the shoulder changes the mechanics of the swing.

Changing either or both of these will cause you much pain, as the change will feel really awkward....

However, as smooth as you are with your present form, I would guess that fixing those two things would give you probably 20 points on your average and help with spare shooting.

Totally above my pay grade, but I just felt like posting....

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.