BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136054 - 09/24/10 05:54 PM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: DanYanks]
Charlie98 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 50/M/McKinney, TX
New balls?!? Where? Where!

This is good info to know, my daughter is 12 and we just got her a Maxim. She does the nutty reverse hook thing but she can do it fairly consistently and was wondering the same about a beginner-level reactive ball.

Locked and Loaded:
Cyborg 15#
LX-16 15#
MX-10 15#
811A-SE 15#
2Fast 15#

Career
HG: 279
HS: 699
HA: 201

Fall/Winter 2016-17
AVG: 190
HG: 262
HS: 658

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#136064 - 09/24/10 07:56 PM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: Charlie98]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Add another vote for the Tropical Heat, my son has been bowling for a few years now and has some really good equipment, but except for tourneys with heavy oil The tropical heat Black Silver is quickly becoming his go to ball and the price is very right.

As for youth leagues every center around me started theirs 2 weeks ago and all of them are on Saturday mornings around here. Check with your local centers with the youth leagues a lot of times they still have openings a few weeks in and also when High school bowling season starts those bowlers have to leave the Junior leagues creating openings as well.
Mutant Cell

#136072 - 09/24/10 10:10 PM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: DanYanks]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I'm with Atochabsh - get a used ball from your Pro Shop, or just use a plastic ball until/unless your son bowls well enough to (say 150 avg) make it worth while to get a brand new reactive every couple of years.

If going for a new ball, anything for $80 drilled will work. Color is more important to your kid, would be my guess.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#136077 - 09/24/10 10:32 PM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: DanYanks]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Are Vibes out of style? What about and Onyx Vibe compared to a Heat hybrid?

I can say this much: My son still uses 10-11# reactives and I haven't been able to get him a strong enough ball. He can rev up the ball well enough, though sometimes he seems to get around the ball too much which adds spin. He naturally applies speed control though; slowing the ball down to get more hook. The problem is, he loses hitting power by doing that. So, I'd say that a much stronger ball and a little less turn of the hand would work well for him.

If my son had to use plastic, he wouldn't be bowling anymore. The weaker reactives frustrate him enough. Once he gets into the 12-13# range, I think the ball cores will help produce better reactions and pin action.

#136081 - 09/24/10 11:15 PM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: Charlie98]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Charlie98

This is good info to know, my daughter is 12 and we just got her a Maxim. She does the nutty reverse hook thing but she can do it fairly consistently and was wondering the same about a beginner-level reactive ball.

A little bit to the side of the main topic...

A reverse hook is a nice capability, but she should really learn to execute a forward hook as well. Some coaching, some inflatable-ball drills, and maybe a wrist support might help. Whatever it takes, the feeling for a forward hook should be learned, even if she decides to use the reverse hook most of the time.

She might find--like my wife has--that her reverse hook might transform into a full-roller on the way to becoming a modern semi-roller. Turn the semi-roller a bit more and she'll have a spinner. Add the straight shot to the list and she'd be quite versatile!

#136083 - 09/24/10 11:53 PM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: DanYanks]
Norm3v Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34 M NJ US
The Tropical Storm is a great way to go for a kid. Even through their Tropical Heat line is considered "entry level", it is in no way an entry level ball. My wife has the Tropical Heat Hybrid Black/Silver, and it is a ton of ball, maybe too much for someones first ball. The original Tropical line would be a nice start as it's not too strong so he can learn to be accurate instead of relying on the hook of the ball.

I was lucky as others on here to start as a kid 20 years ago when urethane was the top the line equipment. We were forced to be accurate, but had the extra benefit over plastic with the little extra hook they gave.

Oh, another thing that others on here are going to disagree with is see how strong he is when gettin the ball. I regretted for years getting a 12 lb. ball at age 12 because after a couple of months it was already too light for me. We didn't have the money for me to get another ball for years, so I was stuck with less pin action for a long time. However, if money is no object and you can swing for a new ball every year, then go with a comfortable 12 pounder or so.

Edited by Norm3v (09/25/10 12:16 AM)
- Lucid
- Tropical Heat Pearl (Red/Blue)

High Game: 300 (2)
High Series: 758
Average: 210

#136084 - 09/25/10 12:08 AM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: Norm3v]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Norm3v

I was lucky as others on here to start as a kid 20 years ago when urethane was the top the line equipment. We were forced to be accurate, but had the extra benefit over plastic with the little extra hook they gave.

Why not give a kid a urethane now? Too much oil? Not enough flash?

I guess I would agree with a Tropical Heat pearl at the lower end. (I think my son needs an Invasion! haha) From what I heard though, a smooth, arcing ball is the best to start with. (That's what I think I need for two-handing.) Does that suggest a solid ball?

Edited by aoiten (09/25/10 12:12 AM)

#136123 - 09/25/10 01:59 PM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: DanYanks]
TAR31 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/NC
Columbia Freeze for my two cents
High Series- 649
THS AVG- 203.87

Black Widow Sting
Evil Siege
Profit
Freeze
Mutant Cell
Uranium Buzzsaw
T-Zone(Spare)

#136129 - 09/25/10 05:38 PM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: TAR31]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Jordans starter ball was the ebonite tornado he got a lot of miles out of it and hit pretty well plus various colors to choose from.
Mutant Cell

#136133 - 09/25/10 07:40 PM Re: Ball for Beginner [Re: DanYanks]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
My other two cents -
Tropical Storm (not Heat) or Scout would be good for beginners. Leaning more towards the Tropical.

But as soon as your child becomes a pro-hopeful like Rocket's son Jordan, by all means go for the gold and get a better ball. For most kids, though, even plastic or urethane will keep them happy.

I'm with aoiten in that the best time to get coaching for a bowler is at the beginning, before they learn all those bad habits like spinners etc etc.

rotfl
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.