BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135802 - 09/21/10 12:14 PM Does power players cupped wrist regardless of line
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Male, Singapore
Does power players cupped every strike shots regardless of line they are playing?

Question 1:
We all know PBA bowlers like Chris Banes, Sean Rash & etc. They always cupped their wrist for strike shot regardless the line they are playing. But Does this means is a must when you become a power play or habit?

Won’t they fear of overhooking when playing outside lines with the revs that they are creating?

Question 2:
If a person always cups their wrist regardless the grade of reactive balls they are using. Won’t this make them hard to tell the true hook potential of their equipment? Since the bowler is using his own hook ability not just by the ball itself.

Example: If a person applied 400 RPM to a high performance ball & do the same to his pro performance ball. Won’t it doesn’t make much difference?

Edited by KahKiat (09/21/10 12:19 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#135803 - 09/21/10 12:28 PM Re: Does power players cupped wrist regardless of line [Re: KahKiat]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Cupping of the wrist is needed in order to apply the "yo-yo" style release you here Randy Pedersen talk about on the show. The more cup you add (there are some players that bend their elbow some as well) the more wrist "yo-yo" you can achieve.

The cupping creates the high revs, the high revs determine the power player, therefore they cup to become power players.

When these players play outside their wrist might start cupped up the same in their stance but it is definitely not that way as they come through the ball. The usually take a little bit of the release off the ball (which means less cupping) in order to achieve that outside line. This is, of course, paired with staying more up the back of the ball.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#135804 - 09/21/10 12:30 PM Re: Does power players cupped wrist regardless of line [Re: KahKiat]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
If you cup and uncup with your hand remaining entirely behind the ball, you will be giving it forward roll, and it will not hook much, but will have higher revs than without the cup/uncup. This is useful for me on dry lanes down and in shot.

The purpose of having multiple balls is to get several different ball actions going down the lane. Given a specific release, speed, and revs, different balls will act differently.

However, if you apply more or less angle or revs to make each ball do the same thing, then you have defeated the purpose of having several balls. I sometimes subconsciously do this, and sometimes I consciously do it. Bottom line - you have to know how each piece of equipment works under all possible lane conditions and release variables.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#135830 - 09/21/10 09:16 PM Re: Does power players cupped wrist regardless of line [Re: KahKiat]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA

Robert Smith, starts deep inside, goes outside on second shot.

#135833 - 09/21/10 09:32 PM Re: Does power players cupped wrist regardless of line [Re: KahKiat]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
Smith's wrist releases it's cup right with release. It makes me wonder what happens with wrist supports. Does a wrist support prevent the release of the wrist? Does your wrist have to uncup at release?
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#135856 - 09/22/10 09:40 AM Re: Does power players cupped wrist regardless of line [Re: KahKiat]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Doc, the wrist un-cups for some as a more "advanced" release. It adds rev rate by allowing the fingers to maintain ball contact for a longer time period.

The wrist does not have to un-cup, maintaining a flat and firm wrist works as well, its just a step up from that as the bowler becomes more solid throughout the approach, swing, and release.

IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#135865 - 09/22/10 11:53 AM Re: Does power players cupped wrist regardless of line [Re: KahKiat]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Kiat,

I'd say that the pros cupping their wrists allow them to be power players. I don't exactly see Barnes or some others as power players. Fagan, TJ, Maximum Bob and maybe the Big Nasty are what I think of for power players.

Next, I'd say that they cup the ball on every shot. I think you can create the muscle memory to make such a thing as cupping the ball throughout the swing a habit. The problem I've noticed is a tendency to pull the ball into the swing at the start. but I guess what works for others may not work for me. Personally, I don't think that the pros are worried about the ball overhooking. They are pretty accurate for one, have a pretty good knowledge of the game and ball setups (I would imagine), and lastly, most of them are versatile in one way or another. That last one is the key to it all really. Being about to change so that ball doesn't go high, nor roll out.

Your other question has a lot variables. Are the balls drilled to react the same way? Are they met for different oil patterns? The bowler's ability to adjust and manipulate the ball's reaction? Do the balls have different surfaces?

It's easy to see the ball's hook potential for you. Bring both of your fingers (index and pinky) and throw either like you normally would or close to it. Or if you really want to see what it's "real" hook is like, use the same hand position and try to put the least amount of hook on it as possible. That should give you something close to it.

Galoot,

You are right in that cupping and uncupping the ball create more forward roll. However, in doing this technique not only do you get the added revs of the yo-yo effect, but you also get longer to apply the torque with your fingers to get the axis rotation right. This is why you are supposed to cup and c0ck your wrist. And the latter one isn't easy at all. Although I'm finding that cupping my wrist causes a slight c0cking of it. Not sure why. It is interesting though.

Doc,

You can cup the ball depending on the wrist brace. That's why the word brace is there. They are meant to be training tools to build the muscle memory to first keep your wrist firm and from breaking than to get used to cupping the ball. Of course they aren't used like that, but that's a different subject altogether. And then there's the cybernetic arm brace that keeps your hand and wrist in a fix position for you.

Anyways, you can do both. And as sk8 says the more "advanced" release is with a cupped wrist. And well I say the more super "advanced" release is with a cupped and c0cked wrist.

Anywho, hope that helps and sorry for the long post. I had to catch up. LOL

The Demolition Man

Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.