BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136635 - 10/02/10 08:38 PM Re: My first video [Re: IBowlPaul1969]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
Originally Posted By: IBowlPaul1969
OK, check this out, to make it simple for now...first, without your ball, line up with the inside of your LEFT foot just to the LEFT of the center dot. Now, with your feet parallel and facing straight down the lane, put your right hand by your side, pointing straight down. Finally, squat down until your hand hits the floor. When you count the boards between the hand and the inside of your left foot, that will tell you your BASE KEY.
SO...if you BASE KEY is 10 and you want to roll over the FIRST ARROW, going straight up the boards add 5 (first arrow) to your BASE KEY. That equals 15, so stand with the insided of your left foot on 15 and roll over 5. To roll over 10 you would stand 20...and so on.
For now, looking at your ball roll, stay square to the line, you aren't really swinging the ball that much.
Make sure in your set up that the ball is just to the outside of your body. If it is on the inside of your body you have to push it to the side, which makes it swing in a plane behind your back.

That makes sense but is it different if your first step is in front of your left? I clear a path for the ball to drop now by my first step being directly in front of the left. Does this change the calculations a bit?
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#136639 - 10/02/10 08:41 PM Re: My first video [Re: Revenator]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: Revenator
Doc,
If your target is to your right, you shouldn't have to avoid pushing the ball to the right, but straight ahead at your target. Your shoulders should be square to your target. If you are a down and in player and don't swing the ball that much, your shoulders will be square to the lane and your target.
Cleaning up your timing first, with your first step should be priority one, this may clean up some of the swing and alignment issues. Because when timing is off, our bodies try to accomidiate and make up for it in other places. So fix the first step pushaway then worry about the alignment and swing path next.
Revenator

My timing is certainly better. I think my alignment is better now. Where I am struggling is with trusting gravity through my shot. When I am really having a good game I feel my ball get weightless at the top swing...come down by gravity and at the last second before release I accelerate a bit through to my upswing. When I feel this I know it's going to be a good ball. But, I so rarely get it right. I suppose it's just going to take alot of practice.
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)

#136689 - 10/03/10 07:01 PM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
A lot of practice is right, I am working on that same thing(free swing) and have been all summer and now into the fall.

Good thing is like me you can feel it when its right and in time you will feel it more often then not and you will trust it. Keep up the hard work its a long fun road.
Mutant Cell

#136859 - 10/06/10 10:19 AM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
IBowlPaul1969 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41, M, Fort Wayne
Don't get frustrated Doc! Get with a good coach for some one-on-one work. I know you said there isn't anyone near you, but you could maybe take a road trip one day to meet with somebody.

I live in Fort Wayne, IN and drove to Detroit, MI for a lesson with Michelle Mullins. Four hours of driving for a 45 minute lesson, am I crazy? No. The information provided was valuable and I have worked on it for a year now.

When I started really trying to become a good bowler I practiced 8 games or more each day, 6 days a week. It took two years but I went from a 160 average to a 220 average. I don't know what your personal bowling goals are, but to get there requires work.

Hang in there, have fun and keep trying.
Dexter SST shoes
Brunswick balls 15#

#136945 - 10/07/10 07:05 PM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
Raydee Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: NY
This thread has really helped me understand what I am doing wrong with my shots and why I am not consistant at all when I bowl. When I throw my ball I always end up off balance and have to step with my right foot to the right. I always thought I was just way off on my timing but now after reading this thread and watching a vid of me bowling I see that I am trying to throw the ball way to hard and I am not letting the weight of the ball and gravity do the work for me. Its no wonder why my arm hurts after I bowl. I am going to start working on my swing tonight, i am sure I will bowl horribly but if I can get the swing right I am sure everything else will fall into place.

#136947 - 10/07/10 10:12 PM Re: My first video [Re: Raydee]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Raydee, that is exactly what is happening with me. I need to get a new video up so you could see but my form was horrible in my older videos. This summer coach Jim and others told me I needed to work on one thing at a time, so I decided on my swing and now a lot of the other issues I was going to work on have fixed themselves. Like balance at the line, posting up my entry angle spare shooting etc etc.

I have a long way to go but I am a lot closer then I was because I quit working on to much at one time.
Mutant Cell

#136982 - 10/08/10 10:50 PM Re: My first video [Re: IBowlPaul1969]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: IBowlPaul1969
Don't get frustrated Doc! Get with a good coach for some one-on-one work. I know you said there isn't anyone near you, but you could maybe take a road trip one day to meet with somebody.

I live in Fort Wayne, IN and drove to Detroit, MI for a lesson with Michelle Mullins. Four hours of driving for a 45 minute lesson, am I crazy? No. The information provided was valuable and I have worked on it for a year now.

When I started really trying to become a good bowler I practiced 8 games or more each day, 6 days a week. It took two years but I went from a 160 average to a 220 average. I don't know what your personal bowling goals are, but to get there requires work.

Hang in there, have fun and keep trying.

That's always a possibility. But, I am hoping to move sometime soon...near Savannah Ga. I would assume there would be a few coaches in that area.

I currently bowl 20-25 games a week. It seems that all my body can handle at this point. I would like to average 200+ at some point in the future. I think it would be cool to be able to bowl in some professional tornaments. I have no idea how obtainable that goal is at this point but I know I'm willing to put in the work. And I will do what I am told by a coach.
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)

#137040 - 10/10/10 11:04 AM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

Guys, my game is certainly improving. I had my best session yet. I feel much more in control, hitting more marks, spares and feel smoother. The game is coming easier. With that said, looking at my videos I am still really wrapping that swing around my back. I was making a conscious effort not to do so but the video didn't lie. I didn't have a single swing that didn't come around my back. I have no idea how to keep it along the swing plane. I don't know if I'm opening up my shoulders to take it along this path or what. Any tips or suggestions to help me in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)

#137188 - 10/12/10 06:18 PM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

I was working on some of the tips in the pro groove thread. It helped a bit...not wrapping the ball around my back as much but still not in the groove. I'm also having some serious balance issues. Anyways here is a video update. I'm not sure I improved much but here it is anyways.

sorry about the sorry side view but we tried

Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)

#137217 - 10/13/10 06:36 AM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Your head is more still than it was previously, so I am seeing some improvement.

The side shots are hard to see, if you could improve the lighting by using night vision if your camera has it and keeping you from head to toe from start to finish in the shot it will help.

You are bending forward too much at the waste in your slide, try lowering your hips and sitting more into the slide. Also try getting your foot more under your body in the slide, it is still going off to the left a bit this causes you to lose balance a little and pull the ball across your body. Keep your weight on your right foot more in the power step and wait for the left foot to slide toe first under the center of your body before you fully transfer your weight to the left foot.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.