BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136149 - 09/26/10 12:01 AM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
1) start with a athletic stance and a relax start -

2)Start with a keep a slight tilt and maintain the tilt during the approach
http://www.morichbowling.com/MosCorner/February2004/February2004.htm
http://www.strikeability.com/learn_06.php

3)keep your swing straight in line with your target,relaxing your shoulder during the swing will help. Your back swing goes behind your back.
http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/V2/foArticle.aspx?iKodYazi=14

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#136163 - 09/26/10 08:59 AM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If you are feeling awkward make sure you are starting the ball with your right foot and letting the ball swing at the same time. It will take a while for this to feel right, but until you grind it in, everything will feel awkward, so have patients and keep working on it.

#136299 - 09/28/10 12:20 PM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
IBowlPaul1969 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41, M, Fort Wayne
There has been quite an improvement from your first video to the last.
A couple of small points that might help at the start of the approach: Have your knees flexed slightly (you might be, can't tell with the shorts), sit back on the heels, with more weight on your left foot. As you step, keep both knees bent, don't stand up. Sort of imagine that you are walking like Groucho Marx (a very good bowler, really). That might help smooth the transition to the final step and release.

GOOD LUCK!!
Dexter SST shoes
Brunswick balls 15#

#136303 - 09/28/10 02:30 PM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
Doc,
Just like coach Jim said, you take four steps, the ball should pushaway from your body ALL THE WAY on step one, your not doing this.
If you don't like the feel of this, take 5 steps and pushaway on step two, or don't pushaway at all and drop the ball down straight down on step 3.( in the 5 step) But if you stay with 4 steps practice pushing the ball out with step one only, back and forth do it over and over.
Also, it looks like the ball gets to far behind your back,
pause your video's at the height of your backswing, the ball is left of your head. I like how you have the ball lined up with your right shoulder, that's good.
What's causing it getting so far behind your back is you push the ball too far to the right, that causes it's path to swing behind you, not so bad if your a big cranker. But for you, it will cause you to want to pull the ball to make up for it, which in turn will hurt you revs also.
So, try this, when you push the ball forward try to slightly push it to the inside, SLIGHTLY. Do it too much and the ball will swing too far to the outside. Your goal is to get a nice straight armswing. Armswings should be as straight as possible. And that means in relationship to your shoulders. So if you are closed with your shoulders, your armswing is still parallel in relationship to them.
Revenator

#136307 - 09/28/10 03:41 PM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
They're all right. The thing is teaching muscle memory. If you do this on the lane...it can get really expensive. You can work this at home "Without the ball". For a 4 step, put your weight on your left foot(for a right-hander) say one and push and step with your right foot at the same time. For a 5 step, step and say 2 and step and push at the same time. I've only seen a couple of videos of people who pushaway on the 3rd step of a 5...don't know about it and don't care.

Edited by JackZ (09/28/10 03:43 PM)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#136317 - 09/28/10 06:31 PM Re: My first video [Re: Revenator]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
That brings up a question I have had. If my mark is too my right...my push off should be towards that mark from what I have been told. So how do you avoid pushing off right and it going behind your back. Am I supposed to square my shoulders to my target?
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#136323 - 09/28/10 07:57 PM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
IBowlPaul1969 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41, M, Fort Wayne
OK, check this out, to make it simple for now...first, without your ball, line up with the inside of your LEFT foot just to the LEFT of the center dot. Now, with your feet parallel and facing straight down the lane, put your right hand by your side, pointing straight down. Finally, squat down until your hand hits the floor. When you count the boards between the hand and the inside of your left foot, that will tell you your BASE KEY.
SO...if you BASE KEY is 10 and you want to roll over the FIRST ARROW, going straight up the boards add 5 (first arrow) to your BASE KEY. That equals 15, so stand with the insided of your left foot on 15 and roll over 5. To roll over 10 you would stand 20...and so on.
For now, looking at your ball roll, stay square to the line, you aren't really swinging the ball that much.
Make sure in your set up that the ball is just to the outside of your body. If it is on the inside of your body you have to push it to the side, which makes it swing in a plane behind your back.
Dexter SST shoes
Brunswick balls 15#

#136334 - 09/29/10 02:19 AM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
Doc,
If your target is to your right, you shouldn't have to avoid pushing the ball to the right, but straight ahead at your target. Your shoulders should be square to your target. If you are a down and in player and don't swing the ball that much, your shoulders will be square to the lane and your target.
Cleaning up your timing first, with your first step should be priority one, this may clean up some of the swing and alignment issues. Because when timing is off, our bodies try to accomidiate and make up for it in other places. So fix the first step pushaway then worry about the alignment and swing path next.
Revenator

#136357 - 09/29/10 11:10 AM Re: My first video [Re: IBowlPaul1969]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Originally Posted By: IBowlPaul1969
OK, check this out, to make it simple for now...first, without your ball, line up with the inside of your LEFT foot just to the LEFT of the center dot. Now, with your feet parallel and facing straight down the lane, put your right hand by your side, pointing straight down. Finally, squat down until your hand hits the floor. When you count the boards between the hand and the inside of your left foot, that will tell you your BASE KEY.
SO...if you BASE KEY is 10 and you want to roll over the FIRST ARROW, going straight up the boards add 5 (first arrow) to your BASE KEY. That equals 15, so stand with the insided of your left foot on 15 and roll over 5. To roll over 10 you would stand 20...and so on.
For now, looking at your ball roll, stay square to the line, you aren't really swinging the ball that much.
Make sure in your set up that the ball is just to the outside of your body. If it is on the inside of your body you have to push it to the side, which makes it swing in a plane behind your back.

You also have to add your drift if you have one.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#136631 - 10/02/10 07:32 PM Re: My first video [Re: DocLogic77]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
I am a bit frustrated at this point. I have hit a wall. I had to take out Ron's magic carpet because my thumb was shreaded and I don't trust my grip. It's causing me not to trust gravity and I can't seem to correct it. I shot a 178 tonight and for me that's a really good game but the rest were crap. I was forcing the ball, missing spares, coming around the ball much much too early. I do think my timing is much improved but that is about the only thing encouraging about my game right now. I would have posted a video but I'm still doing the same things wrong so there really isn't a point.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.