BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13538 - 08/18/05 10:39 PM Early release
Ace38 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 39/M
Hi bowlers, I have this problem and hope you can help me.... I found out that I actually release the ball very early..How do I know ? First there is always a loud bang and after a release, i will look for marks on the lanes to see if I actually release the ball early and time and again I can found ball marks way before the foul line... I tried to adjust by moving my starting position nearer to the foul line but the end result is still the same. Any kind of advice is welcome....thanks help frown

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#13539 - 08/19/05 01:36 AM Re: Early release
Flynwolf Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 33/Male/Laurel, MD
I'm a long, long way from being a good bowler. I like to consider myself average. I had a problem with timing my ball release as well. The only thing that helped me was to concentrate on every step and every move on my approach. When I slow it down in my mind, it's easier to release at the proper time, and I get better ball reaction. Just my two cents.
Tony

#13540 - 08/19/05 02:41 AM Re: Early release
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
One drill for learning how to project the ball over the foul line is to put a towl on the lane just beyond the foul line. Depending on your center, you may or may not be able to experiment with this. But if you can imaging a towel, just beyond the foul line, and getting your ball projected after the towel, that might help.

Erin

#13541 - 08/19/05 04:47 AM Re: Early release
Ace38 Offline
Action Bowler

Flynwolf,
I have tried that, it works maybe at first but then will go back to the old habit. Sigh..

Erin, I would like to try out the towel method but can you explain a bit more ? Like everything will remain unchaged until the foul line where I will take extra caution not be release the ball before the towel ? Or should I forget about the aiming point and just concentrate on release the ball after the towel ? Please advice...thanks

#13542 - 08/19/05 08:38 AM Re: Early release
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
Hey Ace. Timing is an on going struggle for most people. If you are coming out of the ball too soon, you may want to have the pitch on your thumb hole changed and or check it for size. If it is too loose around your thumb, you will have to squeeze it to hold on, then when you relax your hand, it falls off. Changing the pitch can also help keep it on your hand.

Get yourself to a Pro Shop and have him check your thumb, if there is a problem, the longer you wait, the more bad habits you develop.. Good luck

#13543 - 08/19/05 02:02 PM Re: Early release
Ace38 Offline
Action Bowler

Hi Al, have got it checked and replugged..should be ok now but still the early release happens...My friend was saying that I release the ball when my hand is inline with the body and not at the heel of the sliding foot..can this be the problem ? if it is will the towel method help me ? Not that I am scoring is bad when I am bowling this way but too noisey..or should I just stick with it ?

#13544 - 08/19/05 03:11 PM Re: Early release
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The towel exercise is to help you learn to get the ball beyond the foul like. You have to at least loft the ball over the towel. It keeps you from shoving or shoveling the ball into the lane to early.

Video would help tons for you to see yourself what you are doing. And of course Al is right that incorrect ball fit could be fascilitating your early release. The base for this problem probably starts with your very first step. But by now the timing has become so natural that it will take a keen coach's eye to get it corrected.

Erin

#13545 - 08/19/05 10:27 PM Re: Early release
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
Hey Ace. The towel method will definitely help you get the ball further down the lane. It's a matter of practise. The more you do, the more 2nd nature it becomes. Then you won't have to think about it.

Also remember you finger sizes can change from day to day and from game to game. For me, tape is a must.

Try a piece of white tape on the inside of your thumb. It will give you a better grip and make sure you thumb is snug enough. I happen to like tight thumb holes, I have to literally throw the ball of my hand. You need to experiment, give the tape a try..

#13546 - 08/20/05 10:29 AM Re: Early release
Ace38 Offline
Action Bowler

Al and Erin, so what I have to do is just to place a towel on the foul line and procceed to bowl the way I normally bowl ? Thanks

#13547 - 08/20/05 04:44 PM Re: Early release
Scout Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 50/M/Fort Worth, TX
Hey Ace,

The towel system works. When I started back bowling last year some friends had me do. They made it a game that if the towel was hit the loser bought the beer. After I bought several rounds and not hitting the towel my average started to rise Now if my ball isn't hitting the way I think it should ... I break out the towels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.