BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134325 - 09/01/10 07:23 PM Criticize all you want, it's only going to help
Doty Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 17/Male/Illinois
Went bowling today and I recorded myself. I bowled a game, recorded a full game, then just bowled another game. I couldn't get the ball to hook at all today for some reason. It would go straight or go straight into the gutter. It was just an awful day. I want to get a new ball because my hand doesn't feel comfortable in it. But the video is a little under 9 minutes long since I didn't have a video editor to work with on my dads computer.

Any criticism is helpful!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#134331 - 09/01/10 08:48 PM Re: Criticize all you want, it's only going to help [Re: Doty]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Check your span- http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/btm05_files/btm5.htm
If your span is correct then.
1)free up your swing - http://www.utahbowling.com/RelaxtheHand.html
2)a better push away- http://www.morichbowling.com/MosCorner/January2004/January2004.htm
3)Better Balance Alignment- http://www.morichbowling.com/MosCorner/February2004/February2004.htm

Work on 1 at a time start with #1 and keep posting updated videos. Add a side video next time.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#134335 - 09/01/10 09:53 PM Re: Criticize all you want, it's only going to help [Re: Doty]
Doty Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 17/Male/Illinois
I think my span is correct and even if it is, the ball still feels uncomfortable in my hand.

Not sure how much the 'free up your swing' article will help me out.
I'll try out the better push away
I'll see about getting better balance from my coach when I get another appointment setup. Can't really help myself out in that category alone

#134340 - 09/02/10 01:05 AM Re: Criticize all you want, it's only going to help [Re: Doty]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Where are the oil rings on the ball? In a few shots it looks like your spinning it like a top.

#134342 - 09/02/10 02:00 AM Re: Criticize all you want, it's only going to help [Re: Doty]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
One thing I noticed is that you don't wipes the ball down (with a quality microfiber towel from a fine department store near you.) It's a good habit to get into and it can make a difference. (I bought a few of my towels at Dollar Tree. heh)

Looks like you lean to the side a lot to get the ball around your body. Maybe try bending your knees more before and during the approach, especially as you deliver the ball. Think of how you might crouch while trying to sneak up to scare someone.

It seems like you don't have any slide on your final step. Is that how you prefer it? A side-view video would help to see that and a few other things.

I'm curious if your ball would hook more--but later, of course--if you shot it more up the middle. You would be sending it down the river of oil, which would preserve it's rotational power for when it hits the dry area. Then the ball should snap to the left. It would curve away from the head pin, but the purpose is to work on the hook, not targeting for a strike. What do you think?

#134350 - 09/02/10 08:33 AM Re: Criticize all you want, it's only going to help [Re: Doty]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Your swing looks nice and tight to your body and in line with your head. A better push away as described in Ron's articles will definitely help your swing.

You have no knee bend at the line, you are losing power by not bending your knees and getting under the ball more. Try bending your right knee and sitting down into the slide, this will keep your upper body behind your knees and increase your power going into the release.

A side view and a close up of your release will help in future videos. Also we don't need 9 min of video, just one or two clips is fine.

#134353 - 09/02/10 09:29 AM Re: Criticize all you want, it's only going to help [Re: Doty]
Charlie98 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 53/M/McKinney, TX
Silly me, but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Watching the first 5 frames all I see is you missing right or into the gutter. I myself am learning to adjust to different lane conditions, something very important in open bowling because you are going to get a mixed bag of lane conditions, not the seeming consistency you would see in league bowling or with freshly prepped lanes.

Oddly enough (although I am certainly no expert on this...) you bowl very similar to how I do... I am fairly upright through the approach. I don't bend my knee very deeply at the finish... I have a bad left knee.

"One thing I noticed is that you don't wipes the ball down (with a quality microfiber towel from a fine department store near you.) It's a good habit to get into and it can make a difference. "

Quite true. I started towling my ball off about 4 weeks ago and have noticed an improvement in backend control in many cases. Crazy.

Locked and Loaded:
Precision Solid 15#
Logix 15#
811A-SE 15#
2Fast 15#

Career
HG: 279
HS: 724
HA: 211

Fall/Winter 2019-20
AVG: 208
HG: 268
HS: 660

#134356 - 09/02/10 09:43 AM Re: Criticize all you want, it's only going to help [Re: Doty]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Charlie, one of the advantages on here is you can se yourself, or things you may do in other bowlers in the video. The comments will help you too.

You can learn a lot by just reading on here.

Doty, we don't intend to be critical, we all want to help. If there is any criticism, it is meant to be constructive.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#134373 - 09/02/10 12:11 PM Re: Criticize all you want, it's only going to help [Re: Doty]
JackZ Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 59/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Doty, I agree that you're bending over to the right a lot instead of bending the knee. When close to the outside portion of the lane that can cause the ball to go to the right early and right into the ditch. To get a better knee bend I walked to the line without the ball and got into a finish position with the knee bent and my head over my knee and the trailing leg kicked over for balance. Once I did this a few times (started doing it at home too) my body started to copy that in my delivery.

The ball should feel natural in your hand. What part feels uncomfortable...fingers, thumb?

Edited by JackZ (09/02/10 12:14 PM)

Better swing, more accuracy, and more spares.
A 200 avg. before summer.

#134374 - 09/02/10 12:37 PM Re: Criticize all you want, it's only going to help [Re: Doty]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
To give the ball room to get around your legs, when you take your first step, maybe try placing your right foot more in front of your left foot. That causes a little drift to the left, but your slide foot will cross to the right a little in the last step anyway. Plus you can lean into the delivery at that point.

Yeah, and don't forget to try adding the knee bend.

Watch Stefanie Nation doing the 4-step, especially the knee bend from the side, and the body alignment from the rear view.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.