BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129907 - 06/13/10 02:07 PM missing my target
lakredrai Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/vancouver, wa, usa
the last few weeks I have been in a slump because I have been missing my target ( I use the arrows as markers ) both to the left and the right. it's driving me crazy. if I had not joined a league I would take the summer off.
Columbia Freeze
Columbia White Dot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#129908 - 06/13/10 02:25 PM Re: missing my target [Re: lakredrai]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Jax, FL
Try using the dots, I used to aim for the arrows as well, but my game improved when I used the dots that were closer. Also make sure that the thumb is able to come out of the ball smoothly and doesn't get caught up because of moisture. Before I throw my first ball down the lane I powder up my thumb and rub it in and out of the hole. I used to have issues with missing my target and 50% of the problem was because my thumb was getting caught up in the ball.

Edited by jwill (06/13/10 02:31 PM)

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#129909 - 06/13/10 05:05 PM Re: missing my target [Re: jwill]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Your swing aims the shot.

If you're missing both left and right, then you are messing up your swing.

The most likely cause of this is trying to aim the shot as the ball falls forward. That is the wrong time to aim.

You aim during the pushaway.

A relaxed, unmuscled, gravity-driven swing helps to ensure this. Once the ball drops into the backswing, your biggest job is to stay out of its way and let it do its thing.

One of my bowling buddies likes to say "the ball throws itself".
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#129910 - 06/13/10 05:15 PM Re: missing my target [Re: lakredrai]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Many things can make you miss your mark such as timing, arm swing, ball fit (as jwill mentioned), concentration, etc. Could also be something as simple as cutting your follow-thru short.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#129919 - 06/13/10 09:34 PM Re: missing my target [Re: VFF57]
jwill Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Jax, FL
How could I forget, cutting my follow-through short was the reason I used to hit my ankle with the ball and accounted for 35% of the problem.

Virtual Gravity
Inferno
Avalanche Urethane
Toy Story Viz-A-Ball

#129943 - 06/14/10 08:56 AM Re: missing my target [Re: lakredrai]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You can hit your target at the arrows and miss, badly in some cases. How is this? because you didn't slide in the same place and cut down the angle or increased the angle across the arrow you were aiming at.

By the same token you can miss your target at the arrows and still make a great shot. How is this? Because you still managed to hit the break point (your true target) down lane where the ball hooks back to the pocket. Hitting this point is what's important. On house patterns if you just hit this point (usually around the 7 board at 40-45ft depending on the length of the pattern), the ball will be flush in the pocket.

Check your feet and see if you are sliding in the same spot every shot, if so the next thing to check is to see if the heads (the portion of the lane between the foul line and the arrows) are dry causing the ball to hook off your hand and miss inside of your target before it gets to the arrows. If so then move into the oil more, get a ball that will get through the heads cleaner, or learn to release the ball more smoothly so it doesn't grab in the heads so much.

Edited by CoachJim (06/14/10 08:57 AM)

#129955 - 06/14/10 11:15 AM Re: missing my target [Re: CoachJim]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
I agree with everything above, there are many things to cause missing the target. I also like using the dots, even if it's just to help me feel what's going on a little better. One thing to remember when using the dots, your ball doesn't have to land on them or even roll over them for that matter. But you can fix your eyes on them or the boards in between them, and throw over them(thru them). (Wes Matlot does this)
Because lots of times you tell people to use the dots and they don't follow through, or they throw the ball slower, resulting in over hooking.
Also to put together what Jim and Spareme said, if you get your body to far away from your target with your feet (drift) your swing path won't be correct to the target, and your body will say, you need to do something to make this happen, the result will be a pull, if you get to far left of your target, or a fly out to the right because you got to far right of your target. Walk pathway and swing pathway have to work together.
For example: You want to throw right down the first arrow, so you line up your swing path to do so, but you drift left all the way to the fourth arrow, you would throw it in the gutter if you didn't pull the ball. This is exaggerated, but your doing this on a smaller scale.

Edited by Revenator (06/14/10 11:34 AM)

#134113 - 08/30/10 12:34 AM Re: missing my target [Re: lakredrai]
Cheetahsneverprosper Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 43/M/Illinois
Had the same problem a while back, as some bad habits creeped into my swing (at the worst possible time, near the end of the season).
Some things a coach told me for hitting that mark consistantly, and they really helped:

- Keep your head smooth and steady, no bobbing up and down as you make your approach. This lets the eyes stay focused on the target more easily, whether it be an arrow or dot.

-Keep your shoulders square to the line. And if you throw an errant shot, look down at where your slide foot stopped to make sure you haven't been drifting left or right in your approach.

-Let the ball throw itself. Think of it as a pendulum swinging, rather than an actual throw and the ball will do the work for you.

#134118 - 08/30/10 06:55 AM Re: missing my target [Re: Cheetahsneverprosper]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
-Keep your shoulders square to the line.

Keep your shoulders square to your target line, not square to the foul line, this is a common misconception. If you finish square to the foul line and aren't playing square or straight up the boards, then your swing will have to go away from your body to hit the target line and cause you to develop many bad habits.

#134124 - 08/30/10 08:20 AM Re: missing my target [Re: lakredrai]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Choose an arrow and choose a pin. Let's say the second arrow and the 6 pin.

Now imagine the line between those two spots on the lane.

Now imagine a vertical wall that goes right through those two spots on the lane and extends all the way back through the approach.

Now, standing on the approach, swing your ball while standing still so that the ball swings in the plane of that imaginary wall.

Now walk alongside that imaginary wall and throw the ball, keeping in mind that the ball is always in the plane of that imaginary wall.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Where is every one?
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 04:07 PM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by Dennis Michael - 01/18/18 04:49 PM
Motiv Venom Shock Pearl
by Jason_C - 01/18/18 10:51 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - 01/18/18 09:54 AM
Competing against high rev, high speed players
by BowlerBill - 01/17/18 07:59 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 01/10/18 02:34 PM
Dual Angle Layouts
by Dennis Michael - 01/10/18 10:26 AM
Roto-Grip Hyper Cell Fused Video Ball Review
by mmalsed - 01/08/18 11:41 AM
Dare Devil Danger Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 01/07/18 08:56 PM
Good advice from my brother!
by Dylan585 - 01/05/18 04:13 PM
"Knocking the Shine" off of my Pearl Ball
by 6_ball_man - 01/01/18 09:11 AM
Have a happy and safe Holiday
by goobee - 01/01/18 02:34 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.