BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134055 - 08/28/10 02:45 PM 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League?
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
My own question follows this statement and Q/A from the USBC rule book. The rules state the following for YOUTH bowlers:

"A bowler using a two-handed delivery will establish an average with two hands. When the bowler changes to a one-handed delivery, they must establish a new average using that hand."

Under Commonly Asked Questions, there seems to be a contradictory answer.

Question: "A bowler is using the two-handed approach. The bowler's dominate hand is the right hand. Can the bowler use the right hand for spares?"

Answer: "Yes, since both deliveries are with the same dominate hand, the bowler did not change his delivery and therefore, is not in violation of any USBC rules."

So, my question is, can a YOUTH bowler establish a two-handed average using a two-handed strike shot, then switch to a one-handed spare shot like Osku?

Reference: http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/...Established.htm

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#134056 - 08/28/10 03:06 PM Re: 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League? [Re: aoiten]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
Yes, they should be able to.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#134057 - 08/28/10 03:09 PM Re: 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League? [Re: aoiten]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I would contact the rules department through bowl.com. They would be the best chance of getting the correct answer.

I have a feeling the answer would be no though since youths have to establish a new average when going from two handed to one handed. I believe that rule might actually have been in effect when the two handed release being referred to was the between the leg/granny style with no dominant hand and not the Belmo/Osku style of today.

There are still many rules that need to be updated in the rulebook due to changes in the game, but often are not addressed or get voted down at the annual convention.
HS:763

#134060 - 08/28/10 03:57 PM Re: 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
I would contact the rules department through bowl.com. They would be the best chance of getting the correct answer.

I believe that rule might actually have been in effect when the two handed release being referred to was the between the leg/granny style with no dominant hand and not the Belmo/Osku style of today.

Right, I think I need to write to the USBC.

The other "style" you mentioned is covered in the CAQ.

Question: "A bowler decides to throw at a spare by delivering their bowling ball between their legs. Would this be considered a change in delivery and a violation of Rule 118b?"

Answer: "The bowler has changed or deviated from their normal delivery which is a violation of Rule 118b. This rule provides a penalty of forfeiture of the individualís/teamís game in which this action occurred."

#134061 - 08/28/10 04:16 PM Re: 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League? [Re: aoiten]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the youth rule you quoted. I believe that rule was originally introduced when a younger kid that could only throw an eight pound ball using both hands, usually in a between the leg swing/release was able to start bowling more "conventionally" with a one handed swing and release.

In the case of adult bowlers they can do what Oksu does, but couldn't change to release the ball between the legs unless that is how they always bowl.

#134063 - 08/28/10 04:27 PM Re: 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the youth rule you quoted.

Ohhh!!! You mean the part about establishing an average with two hands? I thought that was the updated part! Hmm... Well, I copied my question to [email protected] . Answer to come within 1 to 3 business days.

Here's another CAQ that supports the change between one and two hands.

Question: "A player started league bowling right handed, but later decided to use a two handed approach. Is this a change of delivery and in violation of Rule 118b?"

Answer: "No, as long as all deliveries are made with the right hand, this would not be a violation of Rule 118b."

#134073 - 08/28/10 10:16 PM Re: 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League? [Re: aoiten]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

No, the updated part was the CAQ dealing with using one hand for spares. This had to be addressed with the big push of the two handed style.

#134074 - 08/28/10 10:43 PM Re: 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League? [Re: aoiten]
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Spokane, WA
There may be a two handed style during the approach, BUT all two handed style bowlers, have a one handed release, since their balance arm, without exception, moves away from the primary arm just before the release, thus the bowler still has a primary hand to make their delivery.

Good luck trying to restrict a bowler, young or old, from trying to say their primary one handed delivery is anything but just that.

#134076 - 08/28/10 11:11 PM Re: 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League? [Re: leftykev]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: leftykev
There may be a two handed style during the approach, BUT all two handed style bowlers, have a one handed release, since their balance arm, without exception, moves away from the primary arm just before the release, thus the bowler still has a primary hand to make their delivery.

Good luck trying to restrict a bowler, young or old, from trying to say their primary one handed delivery is anything but just that.

There is a technique that is mostly used by kids that could be considered a complete two-handed release. They pull the supporting hand across the top of the ball to get it to spin more. My son does that often when he plays around two-handed, even though I discourage it. (Maybe BECAUSE I discourage it. hehe)

Ah, the balance arm. My attention was drawn toward the balance arm too late today to see if our new two-handed bowler kid is extending the arm out. Next time I'll check.

#134083 - 08/29/10 08:19 AM Re: 2-handed strikes, 1-handed spares in Youth League? [Re: aoiten]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Seems that a bowler must establish an average, bowling either right handed, left handed, or using both hands on the strike ball. But, then on spares, the bowler may only use the hand that is dominant on the strike ball.

And, to almost all 2-handed bowlers, one hand is dominant. Call that hand the one that supports the ball or the hand on the side of the bowler where they swing.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.