BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133778 - 08/22/10 10:24 PM New Backswing
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Working on lengthening my second step and as such lengthening my back swing. The funny thing is though that the second step feels longer but doesn't look longer.

Swing feels pretty free and grip feels pretty loose, had to add in a few more pieces of tape due to thumb being back to normal size.

Don't have video of it, but badly pulled some balls, I think that was happening when the ball got to the top of the backswing before the third step.

Constructive criticism welcome.

Decent Shot

Off Balance Spare Shot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#133783 - 08/23/10 06:39 AM Re: New Backswing [Re: B-Hammer]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You seem to be taking too big of a swing, by that I mean you are swinging the ball with your back, watch the movement of your back, it bends forward then pulls back, try to keep your back still and let your shoulders rotate more.

Not letting your shoulders rotate is the reason the second shot chicken winged off into the gutter. The shoulder was closed and you screwed the ball into the lane rather than keeping your hand behind the ball and letting the ball just roll off your hand smoothly.

#133794 - 08/23/10 12:13 PM Re: New Backswing [Re: CoachJim]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
You seem to be taking too big of a swing, by that I mean you are swinging the ball with your back, watch the movement of your back, it bends forward then pulls back, try to keep your back still and let your shoulders rotate more.

Not letting your shoulders rotate is the reason the second shot chicken winged off into the gutter. The shoulder was closed and you screwed the ball into the lane rather than keeping your hand behind the ball and letting the ball just roll off your hand smoothly.

Thanks for the feedback coach.

I was trying to implement the Ron Clifton article http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip41_files/tip41.htm. Would you say that this article applies when someone has a swing where their shoulders stay square the entire time but they want the back swing to be a bit longer?

In my case I should try and keep my back from bending but open my shoulders to achieve a longer back swing.

Or am I misunderstanding the concept entirely?

Thanks again.

#133805 - 08/23/10 08:15 PM Re: New Backswing [Re: B-Hammer]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
B-Hammer, read the second last sentence of the article, and you'll find your answer. It would seem that you have the same problem that I have.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#133826 - 08/24/10 06:52 AM Re: New Backswing [Re: B-Hammer]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You need to bend at the right point and allow your shoulders to open. Keeping the shoulders closed will pinch your rotator cuff and eventually tear it (happened to me and still hurts years later). Reaching to the break point with your balance arm will allow your shoulders to open naturally and let your arm swing. Use the balance arm to pull the shoulders closed when the ball reaches the release point, this will add power, speed and keep your hand behind the ball.

#133832 - 08/24/10 09:06 AM Re: New Backswing [Re: B-Hammer]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
Working on lengthening my second step and as such lengthening my back swing.

To achieve this walk heel-toe on your 2nd step.

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
You need to bend at the right point and allow your shoulders to open. Reaching to the break point with your balance arm will allow your shoulders to open naturally and let your arm swing. Use the balance arm to pull the shoulders closed when the ball reaches the release point, this will add power, speed and keep your hand behind the ball.

Watch this video.Notice his 2nd step heel-toe and watch this balance arm.

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#133840 - 08/24/10 12:07 PM Re: New Backswing [Re: B-Hammer]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

Thanks for the feedback, I think I get it now, I wasn't really thinking about the balance arm, will have to have my wife call me on it if I'm not using it correctly.

After watching the Barnes video a couple times it reminded me of my wife's yoga video. I think the pose is called Warrior 2, but tilted so that you point at the break point.

Couple more weeks until league starts, hopefully I can nail it down before then.

#133859 - 08/24/10 06:57 PM Re: New Backswing [Re: B-Hammer]
IBowlPaul1969 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41, M, Fort Wayne
I noticed a bit of a stutter in you second step. It appears that you are carrying the ball when you take your first step and the stutter lets the ball catch up from steps 2 to 3.
When you set up, put your weight more on your heels than toes as you push and step, drop the ball into the swing as your right foot touches down and walk past the ball. Just let the momentum move the ball through your swing.
I have a question too, if you don't mind. What is the thought process behind changing your swing? What is the goal? That info would be helpful to get you going.
Thanks, GOOD BOWLING!
Dexter SST shoes
Brunswick balls 15#

#133874 - 08/24/10 11:16 PM Re: New Backswing [Re: IBowlPaul1969]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: IBowlPaul1969

I have a question too, if you don't mind. What is the thought process behind changing your swing? What is the goal? That info would be helpful to get you going.
Thanks, GOOD BOWLING!

I was mostly after ball speed without having to run to the line or muscling it. Also felt like bowlers with longer swings are a bit more fluid, I'm sure it's just my perception, but when I think long I think smooth.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.