BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133726 - 08/21/10 08:26 PM Please critique my videos
jldiamond1 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 31/m/ca
I have three videos below all taken consecutively. Please critique. Also please remember my right thumb has limited mobility from an injury and makes it hard and painful to bowl so I do not use it. I've never had any formal instruction and I'd just like some critique and tips. Thanks!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#133737 - 08/22/10 05:59 AM Re: Please critique my videos [Re: jldiamond1]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Some will be able to extract some information from these videos but to really see what you are doing a video from directly behind showing your whole approach including set up from head to toe the entire time. Then a ball side video doing the same thing, the whole approach from head to toe including the set up. You will probably need several clear lanes to the right of you and a tripod or a friend to do this shot.
HS:763

#133742 - 08/22/10 09:10 AM Re: Please critique my videos [Re: jldiamond1]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
My opinion is you need to either wait until your thumb is healed, or try to learn to bowl two handed. The reason being is you don't have enough of an arm swing with this style and you seem to be almost losing the ball off your hand on every shot at different points in the swing.

How long will it be before your thumb is healed?

Switching to two handed will help you keep the ball stable in the swing and allow you to take a full swing. You should also move back on the approach to give yourself enough room to take normal size steps.

Either way you decide to go I wish you good luck.

#133745 - 08/22/10 09:20 AM Re: Please critique my videos [Re: jldiamond1]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Now that I see your video, your 10 pin is most likely coming from hitting behind the head pin, as you will enter the pocket at a severe angle. So, the comments to move forward or back a half step would be more appropriate.

Couple of things:
Is your wrist strong enough for No thumb? I ask this because you dump the ball onto the lane, and don't get any arm extension.

You cut your backswing short, and your elbow is bent. Could result in inconsistency in your direction.

Try to get deeper into the approach. You stay upright. Bend your knees more as you walk forward, and try to release the ball closer to the floor. Don't lean forward.

Do you actually have a lane target at the arrows? Seems that you just get the ball out and let it come back. Consistency in targeting is needed to improve.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#133754 - 08/22/10 11:36 AM Re: Please critique my videos [Re: jldiamond1]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
Yea, I'm a no thumber and you do seem to dump the ball out onto the lane. Here's myself bowling thumbless. Not the best example but not the worst.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#133792 - 08/23/10 12:06 PM Re: Please critique my videos [Re: jldiamond1]
jldiamond1 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 31/m/ca
Thank you everyone for your replies. Dennis and coach Jim, your comments were especially helpful. I have since gotten lower in my stance which allowed more control with a longer backswing and follow through, the only type of line that I try to play from my far left stance is a roll through the center of the foul line at the third arrow from the right, I aim for the breakpoint on the 7 board. Unfortunately my thumb will never work the way I would like it to for bowling, I have nerve damage in this area which is also probably why it appears that I am almost losing control of the ball on my swing. I think pulling my center of gravity down and bending my knees a little like Reconbbs does is his video will help me with a smoother release. I'll work on this and post a new video later on. Thanks again guys.

#133806 - 08/23/10 08:18 PM Re: Please critique my videos [Re: jldiamond1]
IBowlPaul1969 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41, M, Fort Wayne
Hi, I watched your vids and they aren't that bad. I do notice that you get your head and shoulders in front of your knees quite a bit. Perhaps if you worked on keeping your shoulders over your front (left) knee you would feel more in balance and get a touch more leverage.
I am not sure what your bowling goals are, but if you just want to be competitive in league you have a decent enough start to do that.
I would recommend finding a gold level coach to take a lesson with, or a PBA bowler who is a qualified teacher. Even one or two sessions with a good teacher will give you the help you need and plenty of stuff to work on.
GOOD LUCK!
Dexter SST shoes
Brunswick balls 15#

#133824 - 08/24/10 06:39 AM Re: Please critique my videos [Re: jldiamond1]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
What has worked for many no thumb bowlers is using a conventional grip on the fingers, it gives a more secure feel and less wobble in the swing. This allows for a larger more powerful swing, and you might also be able to use a heavier ball this way.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.