BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13365 - 07/22/05 08:50 AM Help !
Ace38 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 39/M
help I just can't feel my thumb coming out of the thumb hole and resulting in turning my wrist when thumb still in hole and mis-hitting the shot....is that any drill to help ?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#13366 - 07/22/05 10:54 AM Re: Help !
FlimFlamboyant Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 33/M/Illinois
There are several factors that can contribute to this problem. I'll list some from the most likely to least likely:

1) Gripping the ball. It's more difficult than it may sound. If you feel like you *have* to grip the ball with your thumb, your hole may in fact be too loose. Ideally, your thumb will be completely relaxed from the moment you set up all the way through the follow-through.

My coach did something for me that was both rather comical, and yet at the same time, effective. He put some very tacky tape in my thumbhole, which actually caused the ball to hold on for too long. After bowling this way for a number of frames, I told him about it, and he took it out. My next time up, I brought the ball back and immediately dropped it behind me; my thumb was now completely relaxed. If you're developing callouses or blisters, this is likely to be the problem.

2) Drilling. There could be something wrong with the thumbhole size (too small OR too big), or the pitch. You'll need to talk to your Pro Shop guy about that one.

3) Hand position. Personally, if I bring my hand around the ball too early, I have a tendency to drop it short. If I keep my hand behind the ball longer, it remains in my hand until I'm ready to release it. I suppose it's also possible that improper hand position could leave your thumb locked in the hole for too long. Not knowing anything about the drilling of the ball or your technique, however, it would be impossible for me to say for sure.

#13367 - 07/24/05 07:23 AM Re: Help !
Ace38 Offline
Action Bowler

I think my problem will be point 3; bringing my hand aroung the ball too early. How to you keep your hand behind the ball longer and how much longer ? Please advice....and how do you keep your hand from swinging inward after your release resulting in disaster.... frown

#13368 - 07/24/05 03:13 PM Re: Help !
Magpie Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Male / Rochford England
Personally I try to get the feeling of leading with my ring finger on the down swing. This I find keeps my hand behind the ball longer and also keeps my elbow on the centre line of the ball this helping to prevent me from "chicken-winging" the ball.

#13369 - 07/24/05 04:52 PM Re: Help !
FlimFlamboyant Offline
Bracket Donor

Ace,
At practice today, I had a few frames where I experienced exactly the same problem you have with bringing the arm inside on the follow-through. To my surprise, the coach told me it was because I took my eyes off the arrow (my target) and glanced at the pins as I released the ball. Your arm will then, purely by reflex, pull to the inside because your eyes are now aiming at a different target. I didn't even notice it at the time, but even a split second glance can throw it all off, apparently.

My coach stressed the fact that I need to hold my pose and keep my eyes fixated on the target (as opposed to the pins) at least until the ball clears the arrows, and preferably until the ball hits the pins.

#13370 - 07/24/05 05:09 PM Re: Help !
FlimFlamboyant Offline
Bracket Donor

Oh, and as far as keeping your hand behind the ball goes, I've actually started bringing my hand around the side of the ball at the bottom of the swing. As it turns out, my ball wasn't drilled properly, and that was really messing with me, so take #3 with a grain of salt smile . I'd get in contact with your local Pro Shop about that one.

For me, the problem was in my ring finger, which doesn't bend all that well, so the span for that hole had to be shortened. Since he did that, my thumb is now finally coming out of the ball at the right time for the first time ever, as I am now able to transfer the full weight of the ball to my fingers upon release.

#13371 - 07/25/05 08:47 AM Re: Help !
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
Hello Bowling Fans. Ace38 how do you know that your thumb is not exiting the hole?

Using Magpies suggest technique, which I do, I never exactly feel my thumb release but I know that my thumb automatically releases because I feel my fingers bearing momentarily the weight of the ball at release. The ball actually releases itself from the thumb when the proper technique is used.

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#13372 - 07/25/05 11:29 AM Re: Help !
Ace38 Offline
Action Bowler

Darrell, that's is the problem I just can't feel that it's leaving the hole first...and another problem is my release always takes place before the line..can the thumb not releasing correctly created this type of release ?

#13373 - 07/25/05 11:44 AM Re: Help !
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
Hey Ace, a picture is worth a thousand words. The only way to tell what is happening at your release is to have someone watch you Bowl. The best person to do this is a certified Bowling Coach using video. Then you and the coach can sit down and review your entire approach including your release. Also Ace, check out this vidoe clip and see where you release the ball in relationship to Brian Voss' close to ideal release.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/vAppBV.htm

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#13374 - 07/25/05 01:45 PM Re: Help !
Jeff B Offline
Junior

A/S/L: M/33/WI
what is the importance of "feeling" your thumb exit anyway? If you feel like your thumb and fingers are coming out too closely together, you may have a span issue with your drilling or possibly a problem with the "pitch" of the fit on your equipment. Ususally you notice your thumb exiting when it is a bad fit and you have to squeeze to hang on or your span is off causing you to have to squeeze. You describe "turning my wrist when thumb still in hole" which sounds like a timing issue. The ball doesn't sound like it's getting to the line with your feet causing the release to be after your slide is done. Does this sound accurate?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.