BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133034 - 08/09/10 05:08 PM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: JBB817]
Sarah Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 17/F/NJ
I got it!! Just got home from the alley. The ball is really nice, I went with a 14# Midnight vibe. It fits great, it feels just like the 12 (if not, less than). I'm just having issues gripping the ball with my thumb during my swing... which is expected coming from someone who used a conventional. I only had time to play one game, and I had maybe 3 decent shots haha. I just have to practice more I hope!

Sooo, any tips now on not gripping the ball? Either two things happened: 1) I gripped, causing it to stick to my hand and fly off to the left, or 2) I relaxed, released it fine, or maybe it even came off my hand too early (I couldn't really tell) and went right into the right gutter. :[

Of course I got put on a lane with obnoxious people on both sides of me, making me even more nervous.

HG: 233
Avg: 160

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#133062 - 08/10/10 01:52 AM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: Sarah]
13strikes Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 58/M/Philippines
Originally Posted By: Sarah
I got it!! Just got home from the alley. The ball is really nice, I went with a 14# Midnight vibe. It fits great, it feels just like the 12 (if not, less than). I'm just having issues gripping the ball with my thumb during my swing... which is expected coming from someone who used a conventional. I only had time to play one game, and I had maybe 3 decent shots haha. I just have to practice more I hope!

Sooo, any tips now on not gripping the ball? Either two things happened: 1) I gripped, causing it to stick to my hand and fly off to the left, or 2) I relaxed, released it fine, or maybe it even came off my hand too early (I couldn't really tell) and went right into the right gutter. :[

Of course I got put on a lane with obnoxious people on both sides of me, making me even more nervous.

So Sarah nice to hear you got the weight ok. When it comes to thumb holes which is usually the issue the thumb should fit you snug or either not tight or loose. What some do is they drill it one size bigger so that you can adjust your thumb grip by means of the thumb tape. Thumb should just fit like a shoe which during release can still come out smoothly. Just another perspective to the game

13strikes

#133092 - 08/10/10 12:07 PM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: 13strikes]
Sarah Offline
League Bowler

Thanks for the advice 13strikes. The thumb fits pretty snug. I also didn't get a thumb insert, only the finger grips. I'm just having issues with the release because I'm so used to gripping the thumb like crazy with my old ball. I read somewhere on here to have your thumbnail pressed against the back of the hole to prevent squeezing, which is what I tried to do and (in most cases) it worked. I guess my subconscious is still telling me to grip the ball once it falls during the swing??

Hoping that others reply with some suggestions.. get a thumb insert? tape? does anyone even have some drills I could do to help relax?

#133104 - 08/10/10 04:48 PM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: Sarah]
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/M/NJ
I'm glad to hear that you aren't finding the weight an issue. The Midnight vibe looks like one awesome ball, when you get more time with it let me know what you think of it.

To help with the thumbhole and grabbing (a problem I still have), you should be able to swing the ball and not grab without it slipping. You want it so that the base of your thumb and the edge of the thumbhole provide a secure "lock." If the ball slips at all (usually in the backswing) you will instinctively grab the ball, so you want to make sure any slippage is minimized/eliminated. If it feels like this is happening try a piece of white tape in the front and fill in black (or white if you prefer) in the back. At first you will really need to force yourself mentally to not grab, but the more you can trust the ball to stay on itself, the easier this will be to do.

You might also try either standing at the foul line in finish position and swinging the ball freely without grab or muscle and releasing it while standing still or you can do a one step drill. By doing these you can cut back on the tendency to grab you have ingrained in your muscle memory.

Foul line drill

one Step drill

Someone else might have better advice than me too. Though these drills are still good for timing, release and balance as well.

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

Virtual Gravity, Smash Zone, Freeze - Retired

#133227 - 08/12/10 05:52 PM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: JBB817]
Sarah Offline
League Bowler

Thank you! Those are some really good drills, I'll try them out next time I go. The thumb hole doesn't really "lock" like you said, I can hold the ball without gripping it but my thumb slips out a little and I'm left gripping it with the webbing between my thumb and index finger, if that makes any sense. It kind of hurts doing that because the thumb slips out. It's not fully inserted anymore in the backswing which makes me want to grip it. So would the tape you suggested ease this problem?

#133235 - 08/12/10 07:03 PM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: Sarah]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
You should be able to hold the ball down at your side completely relaxed without gripping and the ball should not fall off your hand easily [do this over something like a cushion in case the ball drops off your hand grin ]. If it falls off you may need tape. Thumb hole fit can be a challenge to get just right especially because thumbs will shrink/expand with temperature and humidity.

I suggest you buy some white tape for the front and black for the back. The arc part of the tape goes on top about a 1/4" from the top. Make sure you get the right width for the diameter of your thumb hole. If you have a smaller thumb get the 3/4" width or 1" and trim it as necessary. If it feels like a piece of tape makes it too tight, but no tape is too loose, then have the Pro Shop sand the thumb hole a bit so one or two pieces of tape provides a snug fit without hanging up.
I use the Vise-Hada patch blue tape on the back of my thumb which allows me to have a real snug thumb fit without hanging-up. Go to the lanes and practice with all the tape and experiment until you are happy with the release.

As far as gripping the ball, the popular analogy used for proper grip is pretend that you are holding a bird in your hand. Squeeze to tight and the bird will be hurt. Too loose, and the bird will break free and fly away.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#133361 - 08/15/10 07:45 PM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: beefers1]
IBowlPaul1969 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41, M, Fort Wayne
Hi Sarah, it's great that you are enjoying bowling, it is a game that can be challenging but still be a lot of fun.
The reason you want to go to a higher weight is because of all the wood you have to knock down. The lighter bowling balls deflect as they hit the pins, which can lead to weird splits sometimes.
When you do go to 14# I would recommend something with a simple pancake weight block. The bigger blocks inside act like a gyroscope, which help the ball to 'flip over' at the back end of the lane. When you are learning with the finger tip too, it might be very difficult to control the ball. I have shot 290 and 300 games with plastic balls, so the weight block is less important compared to a good release and accuracy.
It is definitly less expensive to plug your fingers and move them, so go ahead and start with that. When you do go up in weight though, get rid of the 12 pounder. Going back and forth with 2# of weight can be confusing and you will always be tempted to use your old favorite.
Anyhow, have fun, good luck and LOTS of high scores!
Dexter SST shoes
Brunswick balls 15#

#133572 - 08/18/10 11:38 PM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: IBowlPaul1969]
Sarah Offline
League Bowler

Thank you for all the advice Paul. I already bought the 14# Midnight vibe smile the weight feels perfect!

Okay guys, so I finally got some decent practice today. Only 4 and a half games, but I showed a lot of improvement. The ball was coming cleanly off my hand, it doesn't have that many revs yet obviously but that's something I'll work on later. What really mattered was getting it off my thumb. I tried the drills posted above a few times, which helped too.

The reason why I only played 4 and HALF games is because, halfway through the 5th game I noticed I was gripping the ball and not releasing it properly. I looked at my thumb, felt it, and the pad of it was NUMB! I thought, wow this is not good, and then I look at it more and there's a big, opened blister on the outside portion of the thumb. That's what was holding me back from releasing the ball, because it hurt when it came off my thumb.

I saw a website someone linked on this forum that explained what different pains, blisters or calluses on certain areas of the hand meant. Does anyone have that link? Or can anyone explain why my thumb went numb/got a huge blister?

#133621 - 08/20/10 04:45 AM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: Sarah]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA

#133648 - 08/20/10 02:54 PM Re: New ball advice, Conventional to Fingertip [Re: Sarah]
Sarah Offline
League Bowler

Yes thank you! Apparently it means my thumbhole is too tight/small. I'm going to ask the Pro Shop when I get a chance. Also, what are the pros/cons of getting a thumb insert? I don't know if that could help.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by 82Boat69 - 0 seconds ago
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by BOSStull - Today at 10:05 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.