BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133323 - 08/14/10 09:44 PM resurface spare ball and others
Southpaw22 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 27/M/Fort Worth
I recently got a ball spinner and I have been playing around with different surfaces. I need some help from someone that is experienced in resurfacing balls.

1. Ebonite Maxim - I have had my maxim for about 5 years and I have never done anything to it before except for cleaning it. It has some hook in it that I want to get rid of. When I got the new ball spinner I applied a coat of polish to it and that did not change a thing. Is there a special polish that I can apply to get rid of the hook? Should I use a compound first and then apply polish? Please let me know how to handle this ball.

2. Ebonite Mission - Factory finish is Abralon 500, 1000, 2000, 2000. I wanted to try it a little stronger so I finished it at 500, 1000, 1000. The reaction on it became very odd. So, I took i tried to take it back to 2000 and now it reacts like it is a medium/dry lane ball with very little reaction. How can I get it back to OOB finish or to a better finish where it at least rolls normal.

Any help or experience with refinishing a Mission and spare ball would be great.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#133325 - 08/14/10 10:57 PM Re: resurface spare ball and others [Re: Southpaw22]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
How many axis are you sanding the balls with? You should be doing 6.

If your Maxim has never had a resurface, you may want to do a full resurface. Start on your lowest grit and walk your way up to 4000. Then, polish it.

As for your Mission, what do you mean 500, 1000, 1000? Do you do all 6 axis at 500, then 1000 twice?

#133383 - 08/16/10 10:16 AM Re: resurface spare ball and others [Re: General Pounder]
Southpaw22 Offline
Junior

I don't think I am doing all six axis. It is an innovative ball spinner and the DVD only shows them doing one side of the ball, flipping it 180 degrees and then doing the other side of the ball. I thought I was taking it further as I guess I am doing 4 places. Ex. Start Mission logo up, next flip it 180 degrees, next flip it 90 degrees to hit the grain from a different angle, then flip it 180 degrees from there. Can you explain the 6 axis?

Also, approximately how many times can you use an abralon pad before it is worn out?

#133394 - 08/16/10 12:59 PM Re: resurface spare ball and others [Re: Southpaw22]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Just think of the ball as having six sides like a cube. Check this link out: http://www.donkee.com/Tips.htm

I think the Abralon pads start degrading after several major resurfaces. If a pad (especially lower grit) looks more like it's shining the ball rather than sanding then it's time to replace it. This is one of the reasons why I like the 3M pads better they hold up longer and are cheaper.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#133401 - 08/16/10 02:42 PM Re: resurface spare ball and others [Re: VFF57]
Southpaw22 Offline
Junior

Thank you. That link is very helpful in understanding the six sides.

#133402 - 08/16/10 02:44 PM Re: resurface spare ball and others [Re: VFF57]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Here are the 6 sides and how to do it:

1- Fingers to the right, thumb left
2- Fingers to the left, thumb right
3- Fingers down, thumb up
4- Fingers up, thumb down
5- Fingers and thumb inside of ball cup
6- Fingers and thumb on top of the ball.

This is based on looking at the ball spinner from the front with your eyes at the ball cup level.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#133449 - 08/17/10 11:34 AM Re: resurface spare ball and others [Re: sk8shorty01]
Southpaw22 Offline
Junior

Do I need to do all six sides at each grit? Or for example if I am going to do 500, 1000, 2000 should I do a different axis pair at each level thus hitting all six sides once?

#133461 - 08/17/10 12:57 PM Re: resurface spare ball and others [Re: Southpaw22]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
Do I need to do all six sides at each grit?

Do all six sides at one grit and then do all six sides again at the next grit when step sanding. Make sure you do each side the same amount of time (and same hand pressure). You may also want to rinse the pad after each side if it's getting clogged. The whole idea behind this is to keep the sanding uniform and preserve the sphere shape of the ball.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#133540 - 08/18/10 02:49 PM Re: resurface spare ball and others [Re: VFF57]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Also, after contacting Storm about resurfacing it was posted here that a ball should be surfaced (as a full resurface) as follows:

Hit all six sides with 320 grit with decent pressure.
Hit all six sides with 500 grit with medium pressure.
Hit all six sides at your desired finish grit with light pressure.

This creates little peaks and valleys in the ball which is how the ball becomes aggressive again. If you sand it at each sanding step in between you will just be smoothing the ball off and it will make it less aggressive than it was previously in some cases.

For polished equipment you do the first two steps the same, then you go straight to polish and you polish for longer times with less compound. This will help to "burn" the polish into the surface and will allow the ball to react more skid/flip on the patterns.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.