BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133286 - 08/14/10 05:03 AM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: ljocampo]
RWatson44 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 47/Male/Louisiana
How can a little added support (well it may be a lot, but I haven't felt them) applied to specific joints NOT help pain? I don't believe they're advertised to heal arthritis altogether like walking into the tent of Brother Love's traveling salvation show, but designed to manage a certain amount of weight in those fingers and area of hand.

As for a placebo effect, well, some doctors say vitamin supplements don't work, but others would disagree.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#133294 - 08/14/10 02:11 PM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: RWatson44]
ljocampo Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Male Oxford, NY
I'm not saying it won't help to some degree. But maybe it's a mental thing. No they don't claim to cure arthritis. Probably because they know they'd never get away with that, but they do say you'll add points to your game. It could have the reverse effect for some who might find the brace adds inconsistency into their release.

Whatever other people think, I've tried a few of these devices for the arthritis in my 1st joints on my middle and ring fingers. They did nothing to take the stress off and the pain remains. These devices can't immobilize those joints, which is what is needed, because it would defeat being able to bowl, and they do nothing to help an already inflamed joint.

It's my OPINION that whatever ever help, if any, these devices do for the bowler is probably psychological.

#133303 - 08/14/10 03:11 PM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: ljocampo]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Te only thing I found to help the strain on my fingers is a 1/8 reverse on the hole. Less finger control, but I can bowl.

PS: It is only in my middle finger.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#133304 - 08/14/10 03:23 PM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Another remedy( I learned from a nutritionalist) to help ease the effects of arthritis is drinking cherry juice made from a concentrate you buy in a good grocery store or a health food store. Its highly concentrated so it goes a long way, although its a little pricey. Aleve works great as an immediate relief, cherry juice takes a little longer, obviously. Once I started using it I found I was not so creaky in the morning. It works, I try to drink it every day as part of my morning routine. About a tablespoon or two mixed with water in a small juice glass is all you need.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#133372 - 08/16/10 03:09 AM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: ljocampo]
Carrollsue Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 65/male/Pasay City/ Philippine...
UPDATE… smile
I just wanted to thank all again for their comments and help, I did some of them that I could but, by accident I had to roll a ball down the alley to get mine 16lbs back of course this was on the 2nd shot and I pick up a 10lbs house ball and when thought my release with that ball like I do with the 16lbs. Pickup a very hard spare for me but, what happens was NO PAIN on the relapse!! So I get my ball back put into the bag and go looking for a 10lbs that I has holes that fit me like a finger tip…rolled 155, 168 and 170…if you could have seen me before you would understand that I’m jumping for joy!!
thumbsup

#133376 - 08/16/10 07:11 AM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: Carrollsue]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
16# drop to 10 is quite radical.

Frankly, I couldn't put my fingers into a 10# house ball. It has no internal weight, and is probably plastic.

But, this may have told you that a drop of a pound or two would help.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#133420 - 08/16/10 09:11 PM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: Dennis Michael]
Carrollsue Offline
Bantam

Yes Dennis, that was my thoughts also, after I rolled that first shot. Hey! I can use this and thought I could work on all the mechanism of the game, which I need. So what I did was to slow my ball down, work on my approach, swing, release and accuracy. Today, Tuesday, I will go for my practices and find a 12lbs, see if I can use it, hopefully having the same results. Then go up in weight until I start to have the pain that I had, then go down a pound or two. Yep, most men can’t but, I have a small hand for someone my size and I live in the Philippines so most of the balls are drill to my size hand so it was easy to find something that worked for me. The big thing for me is that I'm going back to where I'm looking forward to go to the ally and having fun again smile

#133422 - 08/16/10 09:33 PM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: Carrollsue]
ljocampo Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Male Oxford, NY
Carrolsue, I'm glad you have found a plan you can live with. Having fun is the important point. I personally feel if you intend to drop that drastically in weight, then you should look into becoming a spinner style bowler. This style is popular among the Asian houses, many use a traditional finger grip, and most are using low ball weights of 12# to 13# with acceptable pin carry. The straight style spinning shot negates the need for heavier balls to carry the pins. There are videos on this site and youtube that shows how successful spinning can be. Check them out.

Good Luck

#133502 - 08/17/10 10:31 PM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: ljocampo]
Carrollsue Offline
Bantam

Say Ljocampo... That's a great idea, thank you so much! I was watching the Asian Tournament in Singapore and I remember right both of the finales were spinners and they had no problem get those pens to fly. But like with all very good bowlers they made it look soooooo easy…LOL Will look at the videos and next practices will give it a try, nothing tried, nothing gained. grin thumbsup

#133532 - 08/18/10 11:39 AM Re: arthritis in joints of the index and middle finger [Re: ljocampo]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Originally Posted By: ljocampo
Carrolsue, I'm glad you have found a plan you can live with. Having fun is the important point. I personally feel if you intend to drop that drastically in weight, then you should look into becoming a spinner style bowler. This style is popular among the Asian houses, many use a traditional finger grip, and most are using low ball weights of 12# to 13# with acceptable pin carry. The straight style spinning shot negates the need for heavier balls to carry the pins. There are videos on this site and youtube that shows how successful spinning can be. Check them out.

Good Luck

For once I didn't have to suggest the spinner myself. hehe One correction: Spinners tend to use 11# or 12# balls. I've recently switched from my reactive 12#+ Emerald Vibe pearl with a conventional grip to my 11# White Dot plastic with a conventional grip and my scores have increased! Along the way I tried one of my semi-fingertip balls and didn't like it anymore.

I think the lighter plastic ball is causing more lateral pin action due to easier deflection of the ball. It's important to experiment with different angles and different hit points--slightly left or right ON the headpin. Sometimes I strike more when shooting from the right (unusual for a spinner) and other times shooting from slightly left of centre. I'm still working on the classic far left position.

In any case, you might imagine the ease of handling an 11# ball. In fact, it's so easy to handle that it takes effort to RELAX enough to finesse the ball to its target. Focus, accuracy, and relaxation. Think of it as bowling meditation. haha

I have access to a bunch of spinner information. Let me know if you need anything.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 03:59 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.