BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132598 - 08/02/10 08:57 PM Re: Question on ball speed, rev rate, & axis tilt [Re: J_w73]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
Leo, the armadillo is actually the most accurate way of determining axis tilt, more accurate than the transparent overlay method I show in that video. I always do both, measure with the armadillo on the lanes, then use the video and overlay to confirm it, since I use the overlay for finding axis rotation anyway.

While it's easy to figure out and not a bad idea to at least know your whole lane ball speed, it also isn't going to give you the most accurate specs. The problem with it is that finding your average ball speed is not the same as the ball speed used in the rev rate / ball speed chart, so you won't be able to accurately know if you are matched, speed dominant, or rev dominant (you can probably get an idea...but won't know for certain). This is compounded by the idea to use a plastic ball thrown perfectly straight, which will cause the speed to be higher than you would get with your normal reactive ball / hook release. It doesn't take much of a difference in ball speed to make a big difference in how your revs / ball speed match up. For every .5 mph of ball speed change, you will need to increase or decrease your rev rate by 50 revs to remain matched. Also note in centers with electronic scoring that the speed that the monitor shows is most often taken towards the end of the lane, so that also is not the most accurate speed to go by (usually 1mph - 2mph slower than off your hand speed, depending on lane conditions and how much you swing the ball). Taking the speed measurement in the first 15 feet of the lane takes all that out of the equation, which is why it is the preferred measurement.

In order to accurately apply Mo's system you need to know whether your speed and revs match up, or if you are speed dominant or rev dominant and the best ball speed to use for this is your off your hand speed. I realize getting a hold of a video camera and going through all those steps in the video may be a bit of a hassle, but the end results will be well worth it.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#132622 - 08/03/10 04:11 AM Re: Question on ball speed, rev rate, & axis tilt [Re: TenPin_]
ljocampo Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Male Oxford, NY
Thanks again TenPin... I'll be using the methods you describe for accuracy as soon as a I can. Till then none of my new balls will be drilled.

@ J w73... thanks for the stop watch tip.

#132854 - 08/06/10 07:00 AM Re: Question on ball speed, rev rate, & axis tilt [Re: ljocampo]
ljocampo Offline
League Bowler

TenPin, where did you get that PS overlay? And thanks again for the video tutorial.

#132861 - 08/06/10 09:37 AM Re: Question on ball speed, rev rate, & axis tilt [Re: ljocampo]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

I made it, based on an axis tilt / rotation image that was solid (not transparent). In the past that solid image was used to compare side by side to a still from video (or even just by eye watching the ball roll down the lane) of the ball with tape on the PAP to get an idea of axis tilt and rotation but that wasn't good enough for me. wink

There is a link under the video on Youtube (in the description) that goes to the overlay, or you can just click this . The image will look a little odd loaded in your browser as the numbers / text are white, so it will look like it is missing those. But once it is open in Photoshop (or other editor) and there is a ball behind it you will be able to see all the numbers. I originally had the overlay in different colors but found that the bright yellow and white was the easiest to see in actual use.

#132865 - 08/06/10 10:24 AM Re: Question on ball speed, rev rate, & axis tilt [Re: TenPin_]
ljocampo Offline
League Bowler

WOW!!! Great job on that transparent image. I've done a lot of image work in PhotoShop, got my Masters in Digital Arts. It's really nicely done. The white font was a good readable choice. I'm glad you don't just settle for the status quo. We will all benefit from your labor.

Thanks

Edited by ljocampo (08/06/10 10:27 AM)

#132887 - 08/06/10 08:48 PM Re: Question on ball speed, rev rate, & axis tilt [Re: ljocampo]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Thanks for the thanks!

I have an associates in computer graphics and photography and spent 5 years working at a commercial photo studio where I did a lot of editing (changing faces, removing light poles, adding entire buildings, etc...).

The overlay isn't perfect but I think it's more accurate than the other method of comparing the chart to what you see by eye. I've measured a couple dozen bowlers using it and the axis tilt is usually within a few degrees of what I measure with my armadillo, and I've had a few others use it and it is pretty accurate with measuring axis rotation too as long as the video is shot right (which is why I made the video with shooting tips). The most important thing in all of this is to make sure your PAP is marked accurately.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.