BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132746 - 08/05/10 01:37 AM Please guide me through my game (akt22's bowl log)
akt22 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Skokie, il
Please read the text before critiquing my vids to understand the situation. I know it's fairly long but bear with it.

I finally have got a camcorder to record videos of myself and with that I want to start a log of my progress.

Unlike in the past, the vids I am going to use are from my camera instead of my coaches. I willing to start over provided you guys can help me.

I know I've asked too many questions in the past, but this time I'm gonna give data on my game and I want it to be broken down from the very beginning. Now that I have the materials, I'm willing to put in the work and show my progress.

I don't want to work on something specific, I want to start from the very beginning of my approach and move up once I got something down. Disregard anything you knew about my game in the past and focus what I show from here on.

Lastly if there is anything I could do to improve how I take videos, please tell me how. For example, if you don't like a certain angle or I should get a certain camera etc. I'm willing to put the effort for you to see my game better provided you give me the directions to do so.

Also if you prefer I start a new thread for every new batch of videos, please say so as well.

Thanks and I would really appreciate people like sk8shorty, coachjim, cgerog, spare me and other long time knowledgeable posters helping me through this, since I really respect what they know about the game. That doesn't mean I'm including them only: everyone is free to participate.

With that said here are my new vids:

back view

side view

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#132748 - 08/05/10 02:00 AM Re: Please guide me through my game (akt22's bowl log) [Re: akt22]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: akt22
I don't want to work on something specific, I want to start from the very beginning of my approach and move up once I got something down.

Does that mean you only want advice about how you start?

In that regards most pros that use 5 steps slide with the first step not take an actual step like your doing.

Regarding the end, your two feet back from the foul line, so you might as well start two feet closer.

See Chris Barnes video for what I mean on both points:

#132753 - 08/05/10 02:35 AM Re: Please guide me through my game (akt22's bowl log) [Re: B-Hammer]
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/M/NJ
Alright akt here's my 2 cents on what you can do to improve your game. I'm no pro by any means so take this as you will.

It looks like your pushaway is too far to the right, causing your swing to come way behind your back.

Is that how you normally walk? To me it seems like you are taking very short steps and moving your feet rather quick. Like B Hammer says you are pretty far back from the foul line, and aside from needing to move closer to start, I think your steps should be wider.

The short fast steps are making your timing late and you are muscling at the end of your downswing to try and catch up. Also, this is making it so you aren't fully balanced at the foul line, as you have that little hop at the end of both shots.

Your first step can be a normal step or a shuffle step, whichever you are more comfortable with (I have a little shuffle step). The second step take a normal step forward and let the ball drop into the swing. Third step should be normal just at walking pace. The fourth step should be a little bit shorter to let you push off into the fifth slide step.

I'd work on getting your footwork under control first. I know I used to have fast feet and once I slowed down and got my tempo under control it was much easier to work on other problems.

Edited by JBB817 (08/05/10 02:36 AM)

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

Virtual Gravity, Smash Zone, Freeze - Retired

#132763 - 08/05/10 07:21 AM Re: Please guide me through my game (akt22's bowl log) [Re: akt22]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If you look at your setup in the from behind video the ball is to the right of your head and right foot. In your setup line up your head over your right foot and put the ball in line with your head and right foot. You should line yourself up so you are walking straight to the target line this way the ball and your body are in line with the target line. If you see your alignment you appear to be square to the foul line and aiming to send the ball out to the right. You want everything flowing to the break point.

If you stop the video at about 5 sec you will see daylight between your arm and body. You need to keep your elbow in tight to your body keep working at this until your arm is tight to your body.

The side view you are in good position the whole way until you get to the step before the slide, here you aren't bending your right knee and lowering your hips into the slide, this is putting all your body weight over your left knee and killing your leverage and slide.

#132785 - 08/05/10 10:58 AM Re: Please guide me through my game (akt22's bowl log) [Re: B-Hammer]
akt22 Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
Originally Posted By: akt22
I don't want to work on something specific, I want to start from the very beginning of my approach and move up once I got something down.

Does that mean you only want advice about how you start?

In that regards most pros that use 5 steps slide with the first step not take an actual step like your doing.

Regarding the end, your two feet back from the foul line, so you might as well start two feet closer.

See Chris Barnes video for what I mean on both points:

No I want to work on things through a step by step process from the very beginning. Like learning to crawl before you walk. Like I don't want to work on my balance and last step if my first step is not right. And I don't want to work on my first step if my body alignment is off.

Basically what I'm asking is tell me what to fix the EARLIEST I do something that I shouldn't be doing in your opinion.

#132786 - 08/05/10 11:18 AM Re: Please guide me through my game (akt22's bowl log) [Re: JBB817]
akt22 Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: JBB817
Alright akt here's my 2 cents on what you can do to improve your game. I'm no pro by any means so take this as you will.

It looks like your pushaway is too far to the right, causing your swing to come way behind your back.

Is that how you normally walk? To me it seems like you are taking very short steps and moving your feet rather quick. Like B Hammer says you are pretty far back from the foul line, and aside from needing to move closer to start, I think your steps should be wider.

The short fast steps are making your timing late and you are muscling at the end of your downswing to try and catch up. Also, this is making it so you aren't fully balanced at the foul line, as you have that little hop at the end of both shots.

Your first step can be a normal step or a shuffle step, whichever you are more comfortable with (I have a little shuffle step). The second step take a normal step forward and let the ball drop into the swing. Third step should be normal just at walking pace. The fourth step should be a little bit shorter to let you push off into the fifth slide step.

I'd work on getting your footwork under control first. I know I used to have fast feet and once I slowed down and got my tempo under control it was much easier to work on other problems.

Sadly yes. I'm always wondering my people who were like a couple feet away from me would catcup to me quickly as I walk along a street and now I know why. Trying to increase my steps anywhere further than that I would be like lounging instead and not a normal pace for me.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.